Stroman starts

evenparthrough9

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to melewski, stroman is 2-3 with 5.27 era in 7 career games against Os.

Gibbons says Estrada and liriano are available out of pen but thinks "stro" is the perfect guy

I may eat these words, but for now I'll just say, "Thank you, John Gibbons." Jays fans may have the same thoughts about Buck and Tillman.

Baseball managers are a risk averse people in general. Stroman is the Blue Jays guy - started opening day for them, came up in their system, part of their core long term. He was always going to get the nod - better to lose the "right way" then to take a chance on someone like Liriano - even if Liriano is likely a tougher match up for us. Likewise, we will go with Tillman - too much risk in UJ or Bundy - you can't credibly be second guessed going with Tillman. I think both Bundy and UJ are likely better bets right now than Tillman - but Tillman is our guy - started opening day - started Game 1 of the ALDS and ALCS last time - he'll get the nod

Great post. You nailed it.

I was reading this Toronto article about who they should pick - https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2016/10/03/who-should-blue-jays-starter-be-for-wild-card-game-vs-os.html

- and was like "Man I hope it's not Liriano but bet they go with Stroman and us with Tillman."

Liriana has been like Ubaldo of late. Liriana has a 2.6 ERA in 8 starts since the trade and he threw a 7 inning, 4 hitter in a wild-card game for Pittsburgh.

But no one in three years if the team has a bad year will be saying, "We should fire the manager because he picked Tillman/Stroman."

It's just one less area of criticism.

Let's hope Ubaldo gets another start - in Texas!!

I may eat these words, but for now I'll just say, "Thank you, John Gibbons." Jays fans may have the same thoughts about Buck and Tillman.

I don't put much worth in regular season performances once it's playoff time. Ask Joe Saunders about that.

Baseball managers are a risk averse people in general. Stroman is the Blue Jays guy - started opening day for them, came up in their system, part of their core long term. He was always going to get the nod - better to lose the "right way" then to take a chance on someone like Liriano - even if Liriano is likely a tougher match up for us. Likewise, we will go with Tillman - too much risk in UJ or Bundy - you can't credibly be second guessed going with Tillman. I think both Bundy and UJ are likely better bets right now than Tillman - but Tillman is our guy - started opening day - started Game 1 of the ALDS and ALCS last time - he'll get the nod

Very well said.

I see that you want the contact hitters and speed at top of lineup; I think buck just sees it as "get my core guys as many at bats as possible" method.

My only real beef is davis doesn't deserve to be batting anything before 7th. I would bat him 8th even but I put him at 6th just to break up R/L order basically.

Third highest OBP on the team

According to melewski, stroman is 2-3 with 5.27 era in 7 career games against Os.

Gibbons says Estrada and liriano are available out of pen but thinks "stro" is the perfect guy

And in 4 starts this year against the birds, Stroman is 1-2 with a 7.04 ERA and a 1.609 WHIP in 23.0 IP. Only the Red Sox hit him harder among teams that he faced more than once (3 starts, 9.92 ERA, 2.143 WHIP in 16 1/3 innings)

Third highest OBP on the team

I don't know just seems to K too much for my liking when there is traffic on base. Would rather more of a contact bat. I do realize he walks too but I don't know it doesn't seem to come with RISP, seems to be more Ks in those situations.

I don't know just seems to K too much for my liking when there is traffic on base. Would rather more of a contact bat. I do realize he walks too but I don't know it doesn't seem to come with RISP, seems to be more Ks in those situations.

RISP: .194/.327/.387 - .714 OPS, 57 SO in 153 PA, 2.7 PA/SO

Empty: .216/.321/.459 - .780 OPS, 119 SO in 380 PA, 3.2 PA/SO

Runners on: .228/.347/.460 - .807 OPS, 100 SO in in 285 PA, 2.9 PA/SO

So, he certainly strikes out more often w/ RISP. But it's not dramatic.

And in 4 starts this year against the birds, Stroman is 1-2 with a 7.04 ERA and a 1.609 WHIP in 23.0 IP. Only the Red Sox hit him harder among teams that he faced more than once (3 starts, 9.92 ERA, 2.143 WHIP in 16 1/3 innings)

And to make it even more of a toss-up, Tillman's career ERA at Rogers Center is 7.01 in thirteen starts. Hmmm.

Archived