Buck Stuff

ChuckS

I agree with your last post. How do you leave the best closer in baseball in the pen tonight? Impossible! If I didn't watch the game and was hearing about this on the radio I would probably be calling every sports talk show tonight to talk about this decision by our manager. His ending comments to the NY Times writer who opened and closed with the question about why no Britton was also strange. Tyler is the reporter from the NY Times and Buck said to him at the end I know you have to ask the question and I'll talk to you in a room an explain it to you or words similar. Okay that's all. The more you think about this decision the more crazy it seems.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mrs. Showalter, I'm sure your husband is a fine man, but this really isn't the place for you to interject.

Jeez, you've really lost it haven't you? Look, I don't exactly agree with how Buck handled the bullpen tonight. But, it was a 163 game season and we aren't where we are without his management throughout the year. Buck has been our manager for 1029 games, and you want to fire him over poorly handling the bullpen in ONE game in which the offense put up FOUR HITS????

Think about that for a moment. Maybe YOU shouldn't be interjecting right now. If a manager has a bad game on his 1029th game and that's worthy of being fired, despite spearheading the best 1028 game stretch this team has seen in DECADES (without necessarily the best talent either), then who should still have a job in this league?

I respectfully disagree.

I know he's never going to apologize publicly, but I really think he does owe the stakeholders an apology. He did not put the team in the best position to win. And this was not a borderline, coin flip decision, he literally failed to play the best player on the team.

Here is thought. Britten pitched on Sunday, so he would only be good for 1 inning. Buck was willing to save him if we got the lead. It really isn't that hard to understand.

I figured he was on the team for two reasons:

1) a LONG extra inning game when you have usedup your real relievers, a list that I would think would include the best reliever in baseball in the midst of an epically good 3 year run

2) an extremely early exit by your starter due to injury, obvious lack of command, etc

It was said Bundy was there for the second situation you list and Ubaldo WAS used in your first situation, excepting the fact that is being overlooked by many here that Britton was being held back for use as the closer. I really don't understand the difficulty folks are having seeing that. Britton was going to save the game once we got a lead. The offense just didn't produce. We couldn't get anything going offensively and Ubaldo was up in the zone tonight. We lost the game. Of course we are all unhappy about it, but this storming the castle with torches and pitchforks after Buck's head is really way over the top.

Bundy was the obvious choice over ubaldo. Hunter was still on the bench, no excuse for not bringing him in when everyone knows ubaldo sucks in relief.

Jiminez is a head case, changing his routine was a sure fire recipe for a meltdown and sure enough, he didn't get a single out.

It was piss poor managing even without considering Britton an option.

Ubaldo looked scared out of his mind as soon as he took the mound and the first pitch he threw told me he had no control immediately.

Maybe they can buy Buck a beer next time he is in Toronto. If the mindless hosers can refrain from throwing it at him, that is.

oooooo

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mHcqV0NBg-8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is thought. Britten pitched on Sunday, so he would only be good for 1 inning. .

Britton said before the game he could go multiple innings.

Go ahead, give another reason.

Bringing in Britton would have been too easy and therefore not respectable. Buck is a strong guy who appreciates a challenge, he lost this one but the team is stronger for having tried to win without their best player.

I've remained positive for years but this is too much. A potential Cy Young and MVP candidate didn't even throw a pitch in a single elimination game. Nolan pinch hits and plays the field. He's had his guys he's sat the right guys too often and he's allowed slump after slump after slump.

It's been a great run but time to send him home.

It looks like Darryl Philbin actually pre-recorded his postgame analysis of Buck's standing with some of our fans...

[video=youtube;m1qZ-zj0TaM]

Britton said before the game he could go multiple innings.

Go ahead, give another reason.

Bringing in Britton would have been too easy and therefore not respectable. Buck is a strong guy who appreciates a challenge, he lost this one but the team is stronger for having tried to win without their best player.

Every athlete says they can always do more then they can. That is the mindset.

Archived