Deathmatch: Pedro Alvarez v. Tim Beckam

This is a slam dunk. Pedro Alvarez in a heartbeat. IMO, Alvarez is a special talent and his bat could produce 30-35 HR's with a .300 plus BA. Beckham has struggled a bit this season and is no sure thing to stick at SS.

The way it currently shakes out, I think the Pirates will take Alvarez at #2 and Beckham will be available to us at #4. I would be very, very happy if we draft Tim Beckham. I just believe Alvarez is more of a sure thing and he could produce at the major league level in 2010. Best case scenario for Beckham is 2012.

My scouting reports read Beckham as a 70 fielding, 60 arm and 60 speed. He's seems as safe as you could hope for in sticking at SS.

I take Beckham by a hair. Love them both.

My scouting reports read Beckham as a 70 fielding, 60 arm and 60 speed. He's seems as safe as you could hope for in sticking at SS.

The Upton boys were both off the charts and considered locks to stick at SS. What positions are they playing now?

As a high school kid, things are much less certain. I also would love to get Beckham and take our chances whether or not he'll stick at SS. I have him #2 overall.

IMO, Alvarez is much more of a sure thing. His bat projects well at every position. If, for whatever reason, Beckham has to move off SS his assets diminish slighty.

Either way, I'll be very happy if we get Alvarez or T. Beckham.

The Upton boys were both off the charts and considered locks to stick at SS. What positions are they playing now?

As a high school kid, things are much less certain. I also would love to get Beckham and take our chances whether or not he'll stick at SS. I have him #2 overall.

IMO, Alvarez is much more of a sure thing. His bat projects well at every position. If, for whatever reason, Beckham has to move off SS his assets diminish slighty.

Either way, I'll be very happy if we get Alvarez or T. Beckham.

Beckham is nothing like the Uptons, neither of whom were 70s in fielding.

The Uptons both projected to more power, were a tad faster and were not as strong fielding. The only reason Beckham gets compared to the Uptons is he's black and a 5-tool MI. Their games aren't that similar...

Beckham is nothing like the Uptons, neither of whom were 70s in fielding.

The Uptons both projected to more power, were a tad faster and were not as strong fielding. The only reason Beckham gets compared to the Uptons is he's black and a 5-tool MI. Their games aren't that similar...

You're missing the point. Both were projected to stick at SS and neither of them did. I'm not saying that Beckham won't stay at SS, but coming out of HS it's much more difficult to project a player.

I think it's very narrow-minded thinking on your part to say the "only reason" Beckham gets compared to the Upton's is because he's black.

At this point in time, you pretty much know what you have with Alvarez, Smoak and other college players. With Beckham you are hoping he sticks at SS. If not, does his skill-set project as high as a 2B, 3B or OF? Maybe, maybe not.

Heck, out of HS Buster Posey was projected as a pitcher and a SS. Who would have thought he'd be a stud catching prospect?

Any chance we can trade Huff back to Tampa Bay for their pick? :D

You're missing the point. Both were projected to stick at SS and neither of them did. I'm not saying that Beckham won't stay at SS, but coming out of HS it's much more difficult to project a player.

I think it's very narrow-minded thinking on your part to say the "only reason" Beckham gets compared to the Upton's is because he's black.

At this point in time, you pretty much know what you have with Alvarez, Smoak and other college players. With Beckham you are hoping he sticks at SS. If not, does his skill-set project as high as a 2B, 3B or OF? Maybe, maybe not.

Heck, out of HS Buster Posey was projected as a pitcher and a SS. Who would have thought he'd be a stud catching prospect?

I'm not missing the point. Beckham is a better fielder right now than either of the Uptons were. His frame is also a little smaller -- he looks to stay wiry, rather than thickening (which Justin was always thought to do).

Posey is a little different. You may not have projected him to go to catcher (because he never had before) but he has the body type, and always had a thick frame down low. It isn't a shock that he was able to make the transition.

Also, I'm not sure how 60/70/60/60 and a power rating around 50/60 (now/future) won't project anywhere he goes. He isn't at the level of the Uptons (mostly because he doesn't have the killer power right now), but if he were for some odd reason to move off SS, he should more than hit enough at 2b/cf -- and there is very little chance he wouldn't hold down either of those two.

Archived