Can you fill out the O's roster for less than $10M?

Aglets

When Joesph played a lot in 2015 he had a 1.4 WAR in 100 games.

In 2016, Wieters had a 1.7 WAR in 124 games.

Give Caleb 24 more games or count the WAR value of someone that shares time with Caleb and its basically a wash between Wieters and Joseph.

I don't think its very accurate to compare Joesph's WAR as a backup which affects his rhythm and timing to when he plays a lot.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When Joesph played a lot in 2015 he had a 1.4 WAR in 100 games.

In 2016, Wieters had a 1.7 WAR in 124 games.

Give Caleb 24 more games or count the WAR value of someone that shares time with Caleb and its basically a wash between Wieters and Joseph.

I don't think its very accurate to compare Joesph's WAR as a backup which affects his rhythm and timing to when he plays a lot.

Yea, I am going to stick with working off of what he actually did this season.

But what do you think the O's will do? How do they value Joseph?

I would hope like most of the rest of us. He's a reasonably capable, standard issue defense-only backup catcher. Sometimes circumstances press those players into starting roles. He's Greg Olson, Matt Walbeck, Ned Yost, Tim Laker, Jerry Narron. Members of Backup Catchers Local 228.

I would hope like most of the rest of us. He's a reasonably capable, standard issue defense-only backup catcher. Sometimes circumstances press those players into starting roles. He's Greg Olson, Matt Walbeck, Ned Yost, Tim Laker, Jerry Narron. Members of Backup Catchers Local 228.

I don't think Caleb will ever be the horse that Wieters was but he showed in 2015 that giving enough at bats and enough rest he can play at Wieters current level for 100 games.

So we're starting with $10 mil.

Step 1) Trade Britton. Save $11.4 mil. For argument's sake, let's call our team that needs a closer the Giants. Using Chapman's deal as a baseline:

- Christian Arroyo, 21 y/o INF and top organizational prospect

- Tyler Beede, 23 y/o SP with a 2.81 ERA in AA and a sinkerballer

- Ty Blach, 25 y/o LHP that looked impressive as a rookie

- Jarrett Parker, 27 y/o LH OF that can fill that role and move Kim to DH.

Net change (w/ Blach & Parker): +$10.4 mil ($20.4 mil)

Step 2) Decline arbitration to Caleb Joseph and Ryan Flaherty. It's been fun fellas but your time is up.

Net change: +$2.7 mil ($23.1 mil)

Step 3) Promotions to Trey Mancini, Chance Sisco, Donnie Hart and Oliver Drake. All on part time roles to fill in roster spots.

Net change: -2.0 mil ($21.1 mil)

Step 4) Sign Jason Castro to start at catcher. 3 yr / $15 mil. Wieters level production at lower cost.

Net change: -5.0 mil ($16.1 mil)

Step 5) Sign Josh Reddick. Bad stint in LA, plus fair corner OF market may make 4 yr / $50 mil attainable. RF solved. No QO.

Net change: -12.5 mil ($3.6 mil)

Step 6) Last two spots, in need of right handed hitters that can hit LHP. I'll pencil in the Rule-5 special for IF and Joey Rickard for OF.

Net change: -0.5 mil ($3.1 mil)

C - Castro - $5M

1B - Davis - $23M

2B - Schoop - $3.4M (arb)

SS - Hardy - $14M

3B - Machado - $11.2M (arb)

LF - Parker - pre-arb

CF - Jones - $16.3M

RF - Reddick - $12.5M

DH - Kim - $4.2M

C - Sisco - pre-arb

IF - (Rule V)

OF - Rickard - pre-arb

UTIL - Mancini - pre-arb

SP - Tillman - $10.6M (arb)

SP -Gausman - $3.9M (arb)

SP - Jimenez - $13.5M

SP - Bundy - $2M

SP - Gallardo - $11M

CL - Brach - $2.9M (arb)

SU - O'Day - $7M

SU - Givens - pre-arb

MR - Blach - pre-arb

MR - Hart - pre-arb

MR - Drake - pre-arb

LR - Miley - $8.92M

------------------------

Tada! Maybe not the best but it's what I have for now.

Archived