Orioles discussing a qualifying offer to Wieters again this offseason

Tony-OH

Idk about that. Apparently Fred and the Mets lost about $500 million, and are saddled with Bobby Bonilla.

They borrowed huge sums of money for construction of Citi Field and to start up a RSN. They were counting on Madoff money to pay off those loans. They didn't lose money, they borrowed more than they could afford.

EDIT: Howard Megdal wrote Wilpon's Folly which details their involvement in the Madoff case.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They borrowed huge sums of money for construction of Citi Field and to start up a RSN. They were counting on Madoff money to pay off those loans. They didn't lose money, they borrowed more than they could afford.

EDIT: Howard Megdal wrote Wilpon's Folly which details their involvement in the Madoff case.

NYC paid for most of Citi field, but the rest of it is shockingly true. I'd rep you if I could. Still explains why Wilpon is being a tight arse. Mets are going to have to choose between Harvey, Synderguard and DeGrom. I'd hate to be the GM in that position.

NYC paid for most of Citi field, but the rest of it is shockingly true. I'd rep you if I could. Still explains why Wilpon is being a tight arse. Mets are going to have to choose between Harvey, Synderguard and DeGrom. I'd hate to be the GM in that position.

You should read the Megdal book. It will give you the basics on the Wlipon's finances. It would derail this thread even more than I already have to try and detail the whole gamut of bad investments they have made in the past decade.

Who would we get? I don't like any of the catchers on the market, and trading for one would cost a pretty penny.

People dont understand the game, make statements that are not very realistic.

Wieters is head and shoulders better than any FA catcher on the market.

I do not believe any team is going to give up a quality starting catcher, unless a team is willing to over pay.

People dont understand the game, make statements that are not very realistic.

Wieters is head and shoulders better than any FA catcher on the market.

I do not believe any team is going to give up a quality starting catcher, unless a team is willing to over pay.

But what would we pay for someone who is meh at best? I'd rather just stick to Wieters for 2 years and call it a night.

Archived