Orioles discussing a qualifying offer to Wieters again this offseason

Tony-OH

Sickles doesn't have him in his year end top 100 prospects. He wouldn't be in the Braves or Red Sox top five players.

Right now he doesn't have the power needed at first or DH.

I think some folks read too much into that interview with a guy at BA who was WAY higher on Cisco than his peers.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the record, I support a qualifying offer to Wieters, and I hope he takes it.

Sisco is a good prospect, but defensively probably not ready to start in the majors this season. Nevertheless, I don't want to block Sisco by signing another catcher to a 3 or 4 year contract, which is what it would take to sign Wieters or anyone of comparable quality.

If Wieters takes the QO, then you have a good but overpaid catcher for a year, while Sisco continues to develop. If he doesn't take the QO and signs elsewhere, at least you get the draft pick back.

If you don't extend a QO, then you are either force-feeding Sisco, blocking Sisco, going with Joseph/Pena or signing someone not much better than Joseph/Pena to a stopgap deal. Getting Matt back for one year is the best hope for contending next year while not screwing up the future.

Agree here. But I think its a tougher call than many seem to think. On one hand $17.5 is an overpay of 3 to 4 Million based on LAST yrs performance. He could be better or worse. But I think it's close enough if I'm advising the O's to give the QO.

On the other hand, I think MW has to believe he can get 3 to 4 yrs deal and perhaps $40-50 Million or more. Again, he might, but he might not. He could end up settling for less.

Of course he could end up back in Baltimore for less than the QO too.

Tough call, but again, if it were me Id offer it.

Michael Saunders does not get a QO from Toronto. Let's get him to play in RF.

He'd fit the Orioles' MO... declining defense, career .309 OBP, struck out 150+ times last season (.338 OBP). He's more of a LF/DH than RF at this point. The team could use him at the right price. I like other options better.

He'd fit the Orioles' MO... declining defense, career .309 OBP, struck out 150+ times last season (.338 OBP). He's more of a LF/DH than RF at this point. The team could use him at the right price. I like other options better.

If we can get him cheap, then I'm for it. I think he might be the cheapest option.

But he doesn't have a QO attached so that takes us out of the running.

If we can get him cheap, then I'm for it. I think he might be the cheapest option.

Yeah, if he's cheap. I think he's getting overpaid. Figure he'll get about the same as Josh Reddick and I would much prefer Reddick who can give + defense in RF.

We'll just have to see won't we? :)

Personally I still stand by not giving the QO despite the thin catcher market. 17.2 M is too much to risk IMO. But I can see arguments from the other side. We'll know soon.

I was against QO for Wieters but after looking at the free agent catcher list, I say give it to Wieters. Ramos would have been the best option on the market, but with him hurt I think Wieters will get a team to bite on a multiyear deal.

Archived