Bullpen Coach Dom Chiti Leaving Orginization

Can_of_corn

Dan deserves sone grief here but Chiti deserves some too. When someone asks you about their pitching coach job and your response is that you know me and I shouldn't have to interview you are out of touch and acting like a teenager.

I would think that if we had more insight into the maneuvering (Politics) that takes place when hiring specific coaches/managers, we would also think that it is very plausible that Dom Chiti's "Body Of Work" would be all that is needed to make a decision on him if you want to hire him as a pitching coach or not. His contract expired on October 31, John Hart from the Braves contacted him on November 1st and he took the job. The Orioles never returned his calls so what is a person without a contract to do??? Pass up a better paying job when you do not know if your former employer is even interested in your services??

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There has been a disconnect between Showalter and Duquette for a long time. They tolerate each other. They work together when needed, but it's not like they are always on the same page.

I would think there was more of a disconnect when Dan was being courted by the Jays. They just went to the playoff together again. Maybe that means they are closer in their thinking and strategy now. Yes? No?

I don't like that the Orioles seem to be very poor communicators with coaches and players in this kind of situation.

That said...Chiti's "body of work" really isn't all that impressive. He had about as much to do with Britton's success as he had with Ubaldo's failures. If he wants to take some credit for the Britton and Brach, then he needs to "be a man" as he seems to want everyone to be and take some blame for Matusz (who went into the tank soon after he arrived), Ubaldo, etc. In his three years with the O's they ranked 7th, 18th, and 19th in ERA. 2014 was very nice, but several pitchers on that roster significantly regressed in '15 and '16. The average fan barely knows the name of the bullpen coach on most teams and until recently many were former catchers. The Orioles most famous and longest serving bullpen coach was mostly known during his coaching career for cooling off fans with a water hose during summer heatwaves.

I didn't like the process, but losing Dom Chitti affects the Orioles performance by about .0001% at most.

I don't like that the Orioles seem to be very poor communicators with coaches and players in this kind of situation.

That said...Chiti's "body of work" really isn't all that impressive. He had about as much to do with Britton's success as he had with Ubaldo's failures. If he wants to take some credit for the Britton and Brach, then he needs to "be a man" as he seems to want everyone to be and take some blame for Matusz (who went into the tank soon after he arrived), Ubaldo, etc. In his three years with the O's they ranked 7th, 18th, and 19th in ERA. 2014 was very nice, but several pitchers on that roster significantly regressed in '15 and '16. The average fan barely knows the name of the bullpen coach on most teams and until recently many were former catchers. The Orioles most famous and longest serving bullpen coach was mostly known during his coaching career for cooling off fans with a water hose during summer heatwaves.

I didn't like the process, but losing Dom Chitti affects the Orioles performance by about .0001% at most.

I think Chiti's body of work is pretty impressive. The pitchers seem to like and trust him. There think he added to the team. What else can you ask of a coach? However, that does not mean the O's management should make him the pitching coach. He is right. Buck and Dan had enough knowledge of him to make a decision on whether he should be pitching coach. He obviously was not their first choice.

He may have been unde consideration to stay. But he got a better offer. Nothing wrong with him taking it and nothing wrong with the O's going a different direction.

I think Chiti's body of work is pretty impressive. The pitchers seem to like and trust him. There think he added to the team. What else can you ask of a coach? However, that does not mean the O's management should make him the pitching coach. He is right. Buck and Dan had enough knowledge of him to make a decision on whether he should be pitching coach. He obviously was not their first choice.

He may have been unde consideration to stay. But he got a better offer. None wrong he taking and nothing wrong with the O's going a different direction.

Even though the pitching staff went from 7th to 18th and 19th in team ERA? Even though Matusz went from a promising high first round draft pick to a loogy to basically nothing during his tenure?

The opinion of players is pretty meaningless in evaluating these things IMO. They tend to tell reporters bad things about the coaches that they have disagreements with and good things about the players they enjoy and who leave them alone.

Again, I'm unhappy about how his tenure with the O's ended. But ultimately the bullpen coach is the bullpen coach. Talent and aptitude (and sometimes experience) >>> pitching coach in terms of player success. I think you can add about five more > to that inequality for the bullpen coach.

He may have been unde consideration to stay. But he got a better offer. None wrong he taking and nothing wrong with the O's going a different direction.

I prefer the three that have been interviewed myself.

Even though the pitching staff went from 7th to 18th and 19th in team ERA? Even though Matusz went from a promising high first round draft pick to a loogy to basically nothing during his tenure?

The opinion of players is pretty meaningless in evaluating these things IMO. They tend to tell reporters bad things about the coaches that they have disagreements with and good things about the players they enjoy and who leave them alone.

Again, I'm unhappy about how his tenure with the O's ended. But ultimately the bullpen coach is the bullpen coach. Talent and aptitude (and sometimes experience) >>> pitching coach in terms of player success. I think you can add about five more > to that inequality for the bullpen coach.

Chiti was not in charge of the pitching staff. He was in charge of the bullpen coach. I think the O's had one of the best pens in baseball last year.

I think was most have missed.

The Braves President of Operations John Hart is a close and personal friend of Chiti.

I also find it strange, that according to Chiti, he didn't answer Buck's question about if he wanted the pitching coach's job.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/11/chiti-disappointed-that-hes-leaving-orioles.html

He did answer the question. He basically said "If you think I'm the best for the job, give it to me and let me do my job". He said he's not or doesn't think he should have to sell himself to the organization he spent years with. Maybe they wanted Chiti to interview for the position like Mills did, and he felt he shouldn't have to sell himself.

He did answer the question. He basically said "If you think I'm the best for the job, give it to me and let me do my job". He said he's not or doesn't think he should have to sell himself to the organization he spent years with. Maybe they wanted Chiti to interview for the position like Mills did, and he felt he shouldn't have to sell himself.

Sorry, but I don't understand. Are you saying he shouldn't answer Buck's question of whether he wants the job? How does that work? Yeah, I think that if I had interest in an open higher position with my employer and I was asked whether I was interested in the job, I would most certainly respond.

And when he was asked the question, Wallace had the job. Ask him that question after Wallace leaves, and his answer likely would have been different. I completely respect the way Dom answered the question and his decision to leave. I have no respect for the way Duquette handled the situation - even if he did not want Dom back. It's about showing respect for someone who's earned it. Bad choices in that department come back to haunt you and then some.

I don't know who they're considering, but what about Scott McGregor for one of the jobs? I've always been a big fan of his. Back when he and Flanagan and Dennis Martinez were leading the team, he always stood out as the the guy who got the most out of his ability. And he's been up with the O's in an interim position. He's spent a lifetime with the O's, and it seems to be a guy like him deserves a chance.

I believe the organization is looking for pitching improvement with personnel and coaching.

Matusz had already flamed out as a starter long before Chiti got here. I don't think Chiti should take the blame for him -- Matusz's career started going into the tank in 2011.

Archived