How much will Chance Sisco influence the 2017 roster?

wildcard

I would think that the O's have to believe that Sisco will be their starting catcher at some point in the future. Its when not if. He will get an opportunity to prove he can handle the job at some point. Maybe not just one opportunity. Maybe many opportunities.

If we agree on that point then the O' #1 prospect according to Baseball America needs to be positioned in the O's plans going forward. Timely will be everything. Will he be ready next spring? Next mid season? In 2018? That is the question.

It does not appear that offense will hold him back from progressing to the majors. It will be his defense that determines when he is ready.

The planning for Sisco to join the O's will probably influence how much the O's want Matt Wieters back. It will influence if they are willing to go after Jason Castro in free agency. How much they would spend to bring him to Baltimore and for how many years. Wieters or Castro probably have to play a lot if one of them is on the O's roster. How does the affect Sisco?

Joseph is probably part of the O's catching core going forward. He is cheap. He is good defensively. And he knows the O's pitchers. But his role in the future depends a lot on Sisco's development.

The O's probably add a catcher this offseason. Who that is and how much they spend for him revolves around how the O's believe Sisco will develop. Sounds pretty simple, but its ready a big guessing game. JMO.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think that the O's have to believe that Sisco will be their starting catcher at some point in the future. Its when not if. He will get an opportunity to prove he can handle the job at some point. Maybe not just one opportunity. Maybe many opportunities.

If we agree on that point then the O' #1 prospect according to Baseball America needs to be positioned in the O's plans going forward. Timely will be everything. Will he be ready next spring? Next mid season? In 2018? That is the question.

It does not appear that offense will hold him back from progressing to the majors. It will be his defense that determines when he is ready.

The planning for Sisco to join the O's will probably influence how much the O's want Matt Wieters back. It will influence if they are willing to go after Jason Castro in free agency. How much they would spend to bring him to Baltimore and for how many years. Wieters or Castro probably have to play a lot if one of them is on the O's roster. How does the affect Sisco?

Joseph is probably part of the O's catching core going forward. He is cheap. He is good defensively. And he knows the O's pitchers. But his role in the future depends a lot on Sisco's development.

The O's probably add a catcher this offseason. Who that is and how much they spend for him revolves around how the O's believe Sisco will develop. Sounds pretty simple, but its ready a big guessing game. JMO.

He's also a 30 year old catcher coming off of a historically terrible season. I don't know how much he can be counted on in the future, for anything.

I think Cisco will spend all of 2017 at AAA proving that his bat plays above AA and his defense will ever be good enough for starting catcher in the majors. I can see a September call-up if he successfully makes the transition to AAA, but even with a good spring, I think in 2017 the O's look to Joseph and either a 1-year stopgap FA catcher, or a 2-3 year deal with Wieters.

I think Cisco will spend all of 2017 at AAA proving that his bat plays above AA and his defense will ever be good enough for starting catcher in the majors. I can see a September call-up if he successfully makes the transition to AAA, but even with a good spring, I think in 2017 the O's look to Joseph and either a 1-year stopgap FA catcher, or a 2-3 year deal with Wieters.

I'm thinking the same thing unless Sisco blows everyone away in ST.

I was just saying both of them were rushed.

Machado and Schoop appeared to be MLB-ready on both sides of the ball. Sisco is clearly not MLB-ready defensively. I don't think Sisco's case is comparable to the other two. I agree that Machado and Schoop were brought up earlier than the normal progression, but I don't think that there is a good case for saying that they were rushed, seeing as how they have both had success playing in the majors.

I was just saying both of them were rushed.

Manny didnt look close to being rushed.

Manny posted a 1.6 in just 51 games that first season, nope, not rushed in the slightest. IMO

Schoop posted a respectable 1.5 in his season of ball. I do not call that rushed either.

But, you are welcome to your opinion.

Machado and Schoop appeared to be MLB-ready on both sides of the ball. Sisco is clearly not MLB-ready defensively. I don't think Sisco's case is comparable to the other two. I agree that Machado and Schoop were brought up earlier than the normal progression, but I don't think that there is a good case for saying that they were rushed, seeing as how they have both had success playing in the majors.
Manny didnt look close to being rushed.

Manny posted a 1.6 in just 51 games that first season, nope, not rushed in the slightest. IMO

Schoop posted a respectable 1.5 in his season of ball. I do not call that rushed either.

But, you are welcome to your opinion.

Machado had a 98 OPS+ in 2012, with a 102 in 2013.

His OPB in AA in 2012 was fine but sub .800 so he wasn't exactly dominating the competition.

Schoop had an OPS+ of 65 his first full year. He only played 70 games in Norfolk the season prior where his OPS was under 700, he did even worse in the AFL.

I don't think you can make a solid case that Schoop's offense was ready.

Machado had a 98 OPS+ in 2012, with a 102 in 2013.

His OPB in AA in 2012 was fine but sub .800 so he wasn't exactly dominating the competition.

Schoop had an OPS+ of 65 his first full year. He only played 70 games in Norfolk the season prior where his OPS was under 700, he did even worse in the AFL.

I don't think you can make a solid case that Schoop's offense was ready.

I think there is less pressure to play 2nd base and hit #9 slot in the order.

Than play starting catcher for any big league team.

Archived