Trade Idea - White Sox (Go Big or Go Home)

wildbillhiccup

Hear me out on this one. The Sox are rumored to be shopping just about everyone under control for less than 5 years and the Orioles need an OF and pitching. Trading Manny would sting, but I'm growing very skeptical about their chances of signing him long term. With that in mind...

O's Get: Eaton, Frazier, and Sale

Sox Get: Machado, Bundy (or Gausman), and Mancini

Easton slots into one of the open OF slots and becomes the O's much needed traditional lead off hitter, Sale becomes the true no 1 starter they've been looking for, and Frazier helps replace some of the power lost by letting Trumbo go. That leaves the team with potential long term replacement prospects at 3B (Reyes) and SS (Mountcastle). And if the team has extra money to spend then they go hard after Desmond who could slot int the other OF slot next season and then be a replacement for Hardy in 2018 at SS if Mountcastle isn't ready.

Thoughts? The only thing I don't like about this deal is that Frazier is a FA next year, but I think it's something I could live with.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That seems like going all in, win it now mode but trading for players who are about the same aggregate current value as the ones you traded. Unless you have an All Star infielder in mind that we could get on the cheap, the net result seems like a wash. Plus, I would much rather watch Manny for another year or so than Eaton.

Machado, Bundy and Mancini will have a net cost of $12 Million in 2017 while Eaton, Frazier and Sale will be at about $30 Million in 2017.  As far as the 40 Man Roster spots it is an even switch except none of the incoming players will have any Minor League Options (Mancini).  2018 would have both Sale and Eaton getting about $18,5 Million and the Orioles may possibly get a pick for Frazier (depending on the new CBA).

Sale would bolster the starting staff and cover the loss of Bundy.

Eaton would fill the OF spot that Mancini can not fill.

Frazier will not replace Machado either defensively or offensively but the ball to extend Manny for ten years would not be in the Orioles court and would become the White Soxs problem.

The cost for Sale and Eaton is not prohibitive through 2019.  I would do this deal as it may be the very thing that breaks the club out of "Just Making The Payoffs".

2 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Why would the Sox do this? They're completely tearing it down. They're going to want lots of prospects not a stud with 2 years of control and Bundy.

They may very well think of flipping Machado for a Multi Package during the season.

4 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

They may very well think of flipping Machado for a Multi Package during the season.

Why would they take that risk? It doesn't make any sense. No one trades their stud for another stud with even less control so they can then flip new stud. I can't recall a trade like that every happening. Not to mention the package is light. Sale for 3 years is basically equal to two years of Machado and if not Sale+Frazier is definitely at least equal to Machado+Mancini. That leaves Eaton vs Bundy and Eaton's value is miles higher.

No chance of happening.  This offseason isn't that complicated.  We have 6 guys for the rotation.  The bullpen is basically set.  RIght now we need a DH, C, 1-2 OF's.  I'd be shocked if we did anything more than;

DH: Pedro Alvarez 2/14

C: Avila/other like vet C's on 1 year deals

OF: Bourn 1/1

OF: Pearce 2/7

OF: Reimold milb deal

Nothing sexy, but that really isn't needed.  I like our guys.  Especially if Bundy and Gausman take steps forward.  

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I understand your point about taking a risk with Machado (unless they think they can lock him up,d but I disagree that Eaton is "miles higher" than Gausman or Bundy.

You realize Eaton was just top 10 in MVP voting, is coming off a 6.0fWAR which was the 11th highest for any position player in baseball,and is under team control for 5 more years way below market value? Eaton may carry more value than Machado right now thanks to being under control for more than twice as long.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No chance of happening.  This offseason isn't that complicated.  We have 6 guys for the rotation.  The bullpen is basically set.  RIght now we need a DH, C, 1-2 OF's.  I'd be shocked if we did anything more than;

DH: Pedro Alvarez 2/14

C: Avila/other like vet C's on 1 year deals

OF: Bourn 1/1

OF: Pearce 2/7

OF: Reimold milb deal

Nothing sexy, but that really isn't needed.  I like our guys.  Especially if Bundy and Gausman take steps forward.  

I'd do that except Pedro Alvarez. I have enough confidence in Mancini that I think he'll have the DH spot down pat. 

9 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

You realize Eaton was just top 10 in MVP voting, is coming off a 6.0fWAR which was the 11th highest for any position player in baseball,and is under team control for 5 more years way below market value? Eaton may carry more value than Machado right now thanks to being under control for more than twice as long.

Really? Because it looks like he finished 19th according to this list and I still think that's pretty ridiculous considering how underwhelming his stats were (unless they were factoring in his defense). I like Eaton a lot, but I think his best years are still ahead.

http://bbwaa.com/16-al-mvp/

Archived