Thames get 3yrs-$16 million from Brewers, one less potential DH for O's

Tony-OH

I was really in favor of signing Eric Thames and making him at least a left-handed portion of a DH combo with Mancini taking the right-handed portion. Well, the Brewers thwarted that plan by signing him to a 3-yr deal for $16 million. This might be a shrewed move by the Brewers depending on how well he can play first base for them. It's a risk but the guy has torn up the KBO and we've seen guy like Hyun Soo Kim come over and have some success so this might be a real good "fair cheap" risk for the Brewers. 

Now, would I have risked a three-year contract on him? That's hard to say unless i have his scouting report in from of me while over there, but the guy definitely sparked a lot of interest from many teams.

I'm wonder now if the Orioles are considering going with a Steve Pearce/Michael Bourne platoon in left and move Kim to DH to platoon with Mancini?

The Mets just signed Cespedas so that does take away one team that was talked about for J.D. Martinez.  I have read his name in connection with us and the Mets.   I am not sure what we have to offer them though.  Maybe something with Brach or Givens being apart of the deal.

I think any thoughts of getting a Matt Joyce type on a cheap one year deal, are out the window. 

Free agent costs are exploding again.  There tends to be a rise and then it levels out for a few years, but we are definitely seeing a steep rise now in the cost for back end talent.  

You may even see a pure DH like Pedro Alvarez land a nice contract.  He won't be signing for 1/5 again. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

I think any thoughts of getting a Matt Joyce type on a cheap one year deal, are out the window. 

Free agent costs are exploding again.  There tends to be a rise and then it levels out for a few years, but we are definitely seeing a rise in the cost for back end talent.  

I think the lack of front end quality this offseason is causing the rise in price of back end talent.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

This almost assures that we don't see DD do anything until February, as if there was ever a doubt.  

If it means the Orioles get comparable talent at a cheaper price, great.

I believe the main thing is, we won't see the Orioles sign anyone until a new CBA is reached.  It's an Angelos thing.  So it depends on how long that takes.

Archived