Jay to the Cubs; Does that affect us?

Bahama O's Fan

41 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Jay is a nice player but at 8 million is he that much of an upgrade over Rickard or re-signing Bourn?  Plus what's it realistically going to take to bring back Trumbo?  You start getting in the 8 million range for a guy like Jay, you minus well just spend 15 million and bring back Trumbo.  MLBTR has him predicted at 4/60.  I don't think that cripples us or hurts our chances with Machado and upcoming FA's, since we have 35 million coming off the books in Gallardo, Miley and Ubaldo, after this season.  

I don't know what the bolded means. I think you are attempting to say "might as well".

Jay is essentially a league average ~2 win player over a full season of play. That is worth 8 million on a 1 year deal. Rickard and Bourn are not close to that. Rickard was on pace for about a -2 win season and Bourn has been replacement level for 3 years straight.

I want no part of what Trumbo is going to get. He was decent this year, but the two years prior he was worth a combined 0 wins. If you want Trumbo's bat back, just sign Chris Carter for something like what Pedro Alvarez got.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I don't know what the bolded means. I think you are attempting to say "might as well".

Jay is essentially a league average ~2 win player over a full season of play. That is worth 8 million on a 1 year deal. Rickard and Bourn are not close to that. Rickard was on pace for about a -2 win season and Bourn has been replacement level for 3 years straight.

I want no part of what Trumbo is going to get. He was decent this year, but the two years prior he was worth a combined 0 wins. If you want Trumbo's bat back, just sign Chris Carter for something like what Pedro Alvarez got.

The math says he is worth it. I don't believe in paying based on low WAR numbers. A one dimensional player may accumulate a small WAR total and totally be worth 8 million. And Donnie Hart not. 

17 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I'm sure it is just a spell correct application error.

im certain he was saying "might as well "

i agree, if you are going to spend 8 on Jay and 8 on Alvarez just give that money to Trumbo and a rule 5.

i know it goes beyond that since Trumbo wants 4 years

1 minute ago, weams said:

The math says he is worth it. I don't believe in paying based on low WAR numbers. A one dimensional player may accumulate a small WAR total and totally be worth 8 million. And Donnie Hart not. 

I don't believe in it either. The market math says 2 wins is worth ~16 million. Jay is getting 8. If he is worth 2 wins over a full season, that is good value.

I wouldn't have signed him for that, but it certainly makes sense.

Just now, Babypowder said:

I don't believe in it either. The market math says 2 wins is worth ~16 million. Jay is getting 8. If he is worth 2 wins over a full season, that is good value.

I wouldn't have signed him for that, but it certainly makes sense.

I can see your point. If Donnie Hart were on the open market would you pay him 4?

8 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

By rWAR perhaps, they like to give pitchers credit for things they don't control and rely heavily on ERA. fWAR had him at 0.2 wins.

So you are indicating that it is still voodoo, because there are many flaws in fWAR as well?

10 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Dexter Fowler will have suitors.  Blue Jays, Rangers and Orioles at a minimum.  I'd still take him at the right price, but that pick is not ideal and will hurt.  For a cup of coffee, I'd bet Toronto!

He'll replace Bautista in the filed, but who do they get to replace Encarnacion? Kendres Morales was a good signing, but they still need a LFer and a 1B. 

2 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

He'll replace Bautista in the filed, but who do they get to replace Encarnacion? Kendres Morales was a good signing, but they still need a LFer and a 1B. 

I agree with what you say, I just posted that Fowler will have suitors and that his price, which includes the draft pick, is not ideal for the O's.  But they will stay interested as long as the price is low.  And I'll let others sort out what the Jays do.  They stand to pick up a few picks if they lose Bautista and EE.  There are options to replace EE.  Carter?  Idk, and really only care how these names may affect the O's...which was the original statement in the thread.  Do you think the O's and Jays have similar needs? May they be at the end of this process the only serious bidders for their own FA?  EE and Trumbo?  Again I don't know....

Archived