Orioles interested in Curtis Granderson? (Heating up with Brach as a target)

Tony-OH

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

The Red SOx traded Travis Shaw and two minor leaguers to the Brewers for their 8th inning guy who is comparable to Brach numbers wise.  I would think that we could get something similar to that.

We'd get less. Thornburg was better than Brach last year and has 3 years of control. Brach has 2. 

23 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

We'd get less. Thornburg was better than Brach last year and has 3 years of control. Brach has 2. 

I don't know about that.  Thornburg has only had one really good year.  He was a failed starter up until this year with a 5.88 ERA in AAA in 2015.  

Brach has a bigger track record spanning 5 MLB seasons of bullpen success.  With two straight dominant seasons. 

Looks like the Brewers sold high on a reliever with one really good year while pitching on a last place ball club.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't know about that.  Thornburg has only had one really good year.  He was a failed starter up until this year with a 5.88 ERA in AAA in 2015.  

Brach has a bigger track record spanning 5 MLB seasons of bullpen success.  With two straight dominant seasons. 

Looks like the Brewers sold high on a reliever with one really good year while pitching on a last place ball club.  

Some guys named Andrew Miller and Zach Britton were failed starters too. 

Brach wasn't dominant in the second half, in fact he was pretty average.

Not sure what being on a last place club has to do with anything. 

52 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Brach gave his team more innings pitched, had the better ERA+, and more WAR.  He has a way longer track record of success.  I wouldn't say that Thornburg should bring back more than Brach.

2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Brach gave his team more innings pitched, had the better ERA+, and more WAR.  He has a way longer track record of success.  I wouldn't say that Thornburg should bring back more than Brach.

Thornburg put up 2 WAR, Brach put up 1.6. 

1 minute ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Thornburg put up 2 WAR, Brach put up 1.6. 

Fangraph's, yes.

Baseball Reference, no.

Brach definitely struggled in the second half as his innings went up.  Thornburg didn't really close out his season well either.  Had an ERA over 5 for the last month of the season.

Brach was much better in the 1st half, that doesn't mean, he was bad in the 2nd, just not lights out, like he had been:

Split G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR SB CS BB SO SO/W BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
1st Half 40 185 168 6 26 8 0 3 2 1 15 58 3.87 .155 .222 .256 .478 43 2 0 0 2 1 0 .211 66 30
2nd Half 31 126 115 17 31 3 0 4 1 0 10 34 3.40 .270 .325 .400 .725 46 5 0 0 1 0 2 .346 150 98

8 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Fangraph's, yes.

Baseball Reference, no.

Brach definitely struggled in the second half as his innings went up.  Thornburg didn't really close out his season well either.  Had an ERA over 5 for the last month of the season.

The extra year of control is pretty important for two similar pitchers. 

12 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I agree that the extra year is important.  But if I were to look at this independently, and look at it as relief pitcher A versus relief pitcher B, I'd give more for the guy who has shown the consistency pitching in the AL East over the guy with the extra year.  If we're talking about a position player, maybe I'd value that extra year more. 

27 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I think it is pretty clear that Brach has been the superior and more consistent pitcher, but they are in the same ballpark.  The estimated arb. salaries are $2.2 for Thornburg and $2.9 for Brach, so that pretty much makes them equal value for the next two years, but, yes, I agree with you that the third year of control would seem to make Thornburg the more valuable player, but it isn't like it is a huge difference.  The haul Milwaukee got on Thornburg isn't that much more than we should expect to receive on Brach, IMO.  One year of Granderson at $15 million doesn't do it for me.

Archived