Saunders? Seriously??

wildcard

This FO needs to do some actual work this offseason

Signing the Saunders type free agents is just a waste of time and money

Need to trade bullpen assets (Brach, Givens, Drake, Britton) for a true ML ready OF prospect who can hit for OBP, run, and play good defense.

Just take a look at the AFL leaders to get a list

But it takes good scouting, and hard work to pull off a good trade

Signing second/third tier free agents isn't the answer, it's the lazy way to mediocrity at best

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

This FO needs to do some actual work this offseason

Signing the Saunders type free agents is just a waste of time and money

Need to trade bullpen assets (Brach, Givens, Drake, Britton) for a true ML ready OF prospect who can hit for OBP, run, and play good defense.

Just take a look at the AFL leaders to get a list

But it takes good scouting, and hard work to pull off a good trade

Signing second/third tier free agents isn't the answer, it's the lazy way to mediocrity at best

Obviously, they have had no success over the last 5 years.

In case you forgot, Britton is an elite closer, that has a higher than average closer rate, you don't trade this for a Prospect, no matter how much you think they are ready to produce.

I have no problem trading Brach, Givens, Drake, or even Britton, if the return amount is fair.

As a Nats fan too, I don't want Brad Brach as my closer but you could get a starter like Joe Ross perhaps for him. Just an idea.  It's like DD just looks at the Rule 5 and couldn't care less about anything substantial until Feb 1st.

Just now, Rene88 said:

As a Nats fan too, I don't want Brad Brach as my closer but you could get a starter like Joe Ross perhaps for him. Just an idea.  It's like DD just looks at the Rule 5 and couldn't care less about anything substantial until Feb 1st.

I dont think DD operates under the belief system that you have to act fast.

Sometimes, if you wait, you get people like Cruz that become available.

44 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Is Saunders' OF defense really any worse than Trumbo's? I actually don't mind this move. 

Its possible Saunders would rake in Camden Yards. I prefer Pagan or Revere or even Coghlan, but Saunders isnt too bad. If they can sign two OF's and move Kim to DH that would be my preferred plan. 

6 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Its possible Saunders would rake in Camden Yards. I prefer Pagan or Revere or even Coghlan, but Saunders isnt too bad. If they can sign two OF's and move Kim to DH that would be my preferred plan. 

Coghlan???

I agree on Revere. Hes an ideal buy low guy who can sit atop the order for us. i remember him well from his MIN days and saw a PHI game here and there since he left. Down year but a normal Revere is exactly what we need. 

I think Saumders could do some nice things here though. Please no on Coghlan though. Not a fan.

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

If Saunders is the last free agent OF'er standing he's an O

Pearce signed with Jay's

Your only good enough for the O's if know one else wants you

Same things got said about Cruz and Trumbo and that worked out pretty well for us.  Saunders is a good fit for OPACY.  His 2nd half slump may have gotten him into our price range.  Not worried about our defense since I've watched enough baseball to know that he was a better defender last year than Kim and Trumbo were in the OF.  

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

If Saunders is the last free agent OF'er standing he's an O

Pearce signed with Jay's

Your only good enough for the O's if know one else wants you

Everyone must be terrible at evaluation, since we have the best record in the league the last 3 years. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Is Saunders' OF defense really any worse than Trumbo's? I actually don't mind this move. 

I don't think so - he probably just had a rough year coming back from injury.

Perfectly fine with the signing at the right price.  Interesting comparison with Pagan - concerned about Pagan's age and relative lack of power but that might improve at Camden Yards.

3 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I don't think so - he probably just had a rough year coming back from injury.

Perfectly fine with the signing at the right price.  Interesting comparison with Pagan - concerned about Pagan's age and relative lack of power but that might improve at Camden Yards.

I would go with the cheaper option out of the two of them. 

51 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Coghlan???

I agree on Revere. Hes an ideal buy low guy who can sit atop the order for us. i remember him well from his MIN days and saw a PHI game here and there since he left. Down year but a normal Revere is exactly what we need. 

I think Saumders could do some nice things here though. Please no on Coghlan though. Not a fan.

I wouldnt give Coghlan the contract Saunders will likely get, But healthy, Coghlan is probably an effective, low cost solution to the O's OF woes.  But I prefer they sign two OF's in FA and move Kim to DH. 

Archived