Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather have Bruce for 1 year than Trumbo for 4 years. If you can get Bruce for almost nothing at $13m I'd do it. Bruce will put up almost identical numbers as Trumbo. 250/.300/.450 and hit 30+ HR. And the O's have shown they can take a guy like him and turn his 30 HR into leading the league in HR. And he's a better fielder (I know that's not saying much).

11 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Or they can dump Bruce's salary for a bag of balls and keep Granderson.

They can, but they won't.  The Mets seem to value Bruce a lot more than other teams do.  Heck, they traded for him last season and just exercised his $13 million option.  They'd rather trade him than Granderson, but have shown themselves to be unrealistic in what they are asking for him.  Teams won't come close to the ask on Bruce.  A deal is more likely on Granderson, IMO, as Granderson will both return better assets in trade and require less cash from the Mets.

17 hours ago, Number5 said:

Agreed.  And $13 million on the bench is a tough pill to swallow.  Especially when they have a good 4th outfielder in Lagares.  It has been pretty well publicized that they would like to trade an outfielder.  They've made it clear that they would prefer to trade Bruce, but with no takers, indications are that Granderson can be had.  The Mets are not in the driver's seat here, and are in no position to dictate terms with a hard line, IMO.  Granderson is the better fit for Baltimore, and the Orioles have relief pitching, which is a need for the Mets. 

Granderson plus cash for Brach makes a lot of sense for both teams.  Trumbo would then sign elsewhere, netting us a comp pick.  That gives Mancini a shot at DH in a platoon with Kim, and also platoon Rickard with Smith in LF.  If either Mancini or Rickard falter in the first month or two, Santander is likely to be coming off the DL about then and could be plugged in for either one.  My first choice was Saunders, but with that option closed, I would be happy with either trading for Granderson or signing Trumbo at this point.  It is hard for me to see the Orioles lineup being close to the one we had last year without doing one of the two, though.

That's really hurting our bullpen when their are still other options out there to be the last bat.  We've lost Worley.  O'day is an injury concern now.  Britton was already as good as he can be.  Givens threw 74.2 IP so he can't take on more.  Losing Brach would be huge to this team.  

I'd rather go with worst case scenario and we sign nobody and Mancini is the full time DH and Dariel Alvarez platoons with Seth Smith in RF.  I don't see that happening.  I still see Trumbo coming back.  After seeing the way Bautista and Saunders deals were structured maybe we could offer him something like this;

Year 1- 14 million

Year 2- 15 million (mutual option)

Year 3- 15 million (mutual option)

It essentially would be a one year deal from his side and allow him to enter the market next year with no QO attached to him.  

25 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That's really hurting our bullpen when their are still other options out there to be the last bat.  We've lost Worley.  O'day is an injury concern now.  Britton was already as good as he can be.  Givens threw 74.2 IP so he can't take on more.  Losing Brach would be huge to this team.  

I'd rather go with worst case scenario and we sign nobody and Mancini is the full time DH and Dariel Alvarez platoons with Seth Smith in RF.  I don't see that happening.  I still see Trumbo coming back.  After seeing the way Bautista and Saunders deals were structured maybe we could offer him something like this;

Year 1- 14 million

Year 2- 15 million (mutual option)

Year 3- 15 million (mutual option)

It essentially would be a one year deal from his side and allow him to enter the market next year with no QO attached to him.  

I think it would be tough to give Trumbo a contract less than the qualifying offer we already made. I mean, as I've said many times I don't think we should have any part of Trumbo, but it's hard for me to see him accepting what would basically be a one year/$14 million contract when he already rejected a one year/$17.2 million contract.

25 minutes ago, crawjo said:

I think it would be tough to give Trumbo a contract less than the qualifying offer we already made. I mean, as I've said many times I don't think we should have any part of Trumbo, but it's hard for me to see him accepting what would basically be a one year/$14 million contract when he already rejected a one year/$17.2 million contract.

Didn't Fowler accept something less than the QO from his team last season?

33 minutes ago, crawjo said:

What is his alternative? Sit out to June?

NOBODY will give Trumbo more than the O's. He'll be looking at a 1/10 type of contract from the rest of MLB

Of course the O's shouldn't sign him... of course they will

10 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

NOBODY will give Trumbo more than the O's. He'll be looking at a 1/10 type of contract from the rest of MLB

I think the QO is really dragging Trumbo down.    But you're speculating on what some other team might pay, and I think you're on the low side.   

21 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I wasn't a huge resign Trumbo guy due to a few factors, but after the market has made his value more palatable, I'm starting to warm to him resigning.If we can get him in the 3yr/36-40 range, I'm fine with that. 

Without any significant upgrades to our OBP in the lineup besides Seth Smith (who needs to be platooned), the Orioles are going to need to outhomer people once more. With the good alternatives either off the market or costing 1st round picks, it's time for Trumbo to go back into the fold. 

If not, I'd probably look to get Carter on a cheap 1 or 2 yr deal.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If not, I'd probably look to get Carter on a cheap 1 or 2 yr deal.

Carter is pretty much the same hitter as Trumbo at half the cost. Career lines:

Trumbo .303 OBP, .776 OPS

Carter .315 OBP, .778 OPS

Not sure why we should lose the pick and pay twice as much for Trumbo.

14 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I say Carter or Angel Pagan, save the pick and money.  I am worried if Mancini can do what we hope, it is a risk in the AL East.

I'm a bit worried, too. If Mancini makes this team, he's primarily getting ABs against LHP. Can a guy that's played everyday his whole life adjust to a limited role and will that stunt his development?

21 minutes ago, Finisher said:

You make a good case, though as one-dimensional as Trumbo is, Carter is even more one-dimensional.   Trumbo is good for a strikeout once every four PA, but for Carter it's one out of three.    He can't field (even worse than a Trumbo) and his ratio of HR to RBI is extraordinarily low.    He walks a lot but his BA is low, so he's not putting runners in motion.    I'd rather have Trumbo -- but not necessarily enough to pay him twice as much and give up a pick.  

11 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Carter can't play right field when Smith sits.  And Smith absolutely must sit vs. LHP.  If you sign Carter, you must either sign two additional RH hitting outfielders to fill the two remaining roster spots, or sign one and rely on Rickard for the other.  Trumbo is by no means a stellar outfielder, but at least he can play the position.  Say what you will, but Trumbo would provide us with more roster flexibility than Carter would.

Archived