Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/20/2017 at 0:44 AM, scOtt said:

I see Trumbo as Seth Smith's strict platoon partner in RF. DHs every other day. Trey is Mark's strict DH platoon. Mark in RF about 50 games. Better than last year's D if Smith can hold up his end.

I don't know why DD STILL wants a LH OFer. You get a good RH glove to platoon with Kim and force Joey to AAA. Team is done.

Wow...you pretty much summed up my thoughts on the situation. I'd honestly want Trumbo to get better at playing in RF this offseason, work on being and OF'er more; but I don't see that happening. Mancini is great hitting depth if someone gets hurt and can be a passible replacement at 1B/DH if Trumbo or Davis get hurt. 

8 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Some people will will always have to find something to carp about.

Sounds fishy to me! :cool: (What happened to the trap set smiley?)

All kidding aside, I can't help but feel the irony of your post. Until about a year or two ago it's what a lot of the Hangout would have said about El Gordo! He who launched a thousand Ignores!

It's been intriguing to see how posting personalities change over the years. Sometimes even saddening or inspiring. I know it took me a few years to calm down a bit. Even the most consistent posters, there are little ways in which they open up their style, their frankness (FRobbyness?), speaking about things they wouldn't have before or, just as noticeably, refraining from an expected response.

12 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Wow...you pretty much summed up my thoughts on the situation. I'd honestly want Trumbo to get better at playing in RF this offseason, work on being and OF'er more; but I don't see that happening. Mancini is great hitting depth if someone gets hurt and can be a passible replacement at 1B/DH if Trumbo or Davis get hurt. 

Thing is, Mancini can be great depth in case someone gets hurt at AAA.  He feels a bit redundant to me on the ML roster.  I personally would rather get another OF type and have Trumbo almost exclusively at DH.

Brandon Moss just agreed to a 2/12 deal with the Royals.  Very similar offensive profile to Trumbo and better defensively in RF according to the metrics.  Trumbo hits for a slightly better average but Moss gets on a base a little more.  He hits from the left side but has a history of hitting lefties fairly well, so not a strict platoon guy.  Could have been your RF versus LHP and DH versus RHP.   

Would you rather of had Moss at 2/12 or Trumbo at 3/37?

I think the choice is an easy one and we made the wrong decision, although I will concede that Moss is two years older.  

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Brandon Moss just agreed to a 2/12 deal with the Royals.  Very similar offensive profile to Trumbo and better defensively in RF according to the metrics.  Trumbo hits for a slightly better average but Moss gets on a base a little more.  He hits from the left side but has a history of hitting lefties fairly well, so not a strict platoon guy.  Could have been your RF versus LHP and DH versus RHP.   

Would you rather of had Moss at 2/12 or Trumbo at 3/37?

I think the choice is an easy one and we made the wrong decision, although I will concede that Moss is two years older.  

I'm with you that a Moss type could well be a better value than Trumbo. Which is why I was advocating for a Moss or Carter or Alvarez type instead of bringing back Trumbo and losing a pick.

On the other hand Trumbo is definitely a bigger power threat than Moss. Trumbo averages about 35 HR per 162 games compared to about 25 for Moss, and of course Trumbo is just coming off 47 HRs after making some approach changes and moving to the smaller East Coast ballparks. Moss has a career high of 30. At least offensively, I'd expect Trumbo to be the more reliable player over the next couple years. Worth an extra $25M and a pick? Not sure. It'll depend on how closely Trumbo can repeat 2016.   

I think they would both be 30-40 home run guys playing everyday in Camden Yards.  Regardless, their career OPS's are almost identical and Moss didn't a get a year playing in Camden Yards to beef up his career line. Moss has played his whole career in Oakland and St. Louis (pitchers parks). 

On 1/28/2017 at 7:48 AM, LA2 said:

Sounds fishy to me! :cool: (What happened to the trap set smiley?)

All kidding aside, I can't help but feel the irony of your post. Until about a year or two ago it's what a lot of the Hangout would have said about El Gordo! He who launched a thousand Ignores!

It's been intriguing to see how posting personalities change over the years. Sometimes even saddening or inspiring. I know it took me a few years to calm down a bit. Even the most consistent posters, there are little ways in which they open up their style, their frankness (FRobbyness?), speaking about things they wouldn't have before or, just as noticeably, refraining from an expected response.

I would launch a tthousand more, but I can't figire out how to do it with this new format. You would be my second if I could.

4 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I would launch a tthousand more, but I can't figire out how to do it with this new format. You would be my second if I could.

I understand--thank you. I hope you find out how to do it soon.

By the way, I know the grammar was ambiguous, but I was referring to the number of people back then who probably opted to put El Gordo on their Ignore lists.

Archived