Jones Didn't Like Showalter's Decision or Ortiz' Gift

Legend_Of_Joey

The David Ortiz farewell tour was filled with many memorable moments. Most of those happened during games, as the retiring superstar nearly slugged his way into the MVP award.

His final season was also filled with just as many awkward moments. Most of those actually came before games when teams presented him with going-away gifts.

Perhaps the most awkward ceremony took place in Baltimore. Prior to his final game at Camden Yards, on Sept. 21, the Orioles rolled out the red carpet, showed highlights of Ortiz mashing home runs against the mutual rival New York Yankees, and then presented him with the actual visitor’s dugout phone he once destroyed during an in-game meltdown.

For real. That was the Orioles parting gift. Or souvenir, if you will.

As you can tell by the expressions of Ortiz and long-time friend Adam Jones, who was tasked with delivering the gift, Ortiz did not appreciate the gesture. Neither Ortiz nor Jones made any issue of it publicly at the time. However, Jones admitted during his appearance at the David Ortiz Celebrity Classic golf event in the Dominican Republic that Ortiz was less than pleased, while adding he felt his team dropped the ball with their gift idea.

“I didn’t really like that either,” Jones admitted to the gathered media on Friday. “I think we could have done a little bit more. When I got to him he had choice words.”

Jones added that he thought Ortiz might actually walk off the field when he handed the phone over. That didn’t happen. Perhaps if Ortiz had brought his bat with him to the field though he would have finished that phone off once and for all.

Now that would have been a fitting ending.

Knowing what we know now, Ortiz probably would have been better served taking his father’s advice and holding off on his retirement announcement until after the season. As the season went along, he seemed to become more and more uncomfortable as team after team held these pregame presentations. It was fun at times. There were definitely good moments too as his charities received generous donations in his name. Too often though, it just felt weird.

By the time Boston left Baltimore though, it was completely off the rails.

So, he's mad because his team decided to have a little fun with the going away gift (like another team did by giving Mariano Rivera a rocking chair of broken bats...Or, you know, the Red Sox showing all the blown saves he had against them) and feels they could have done more? What, give Ortiz a bushel of crabs and a case of Old Bay would be better?

8 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

So, he's mad because his team decided to have a little fun with the going away gift (like another team did by giving Mariano Rivera a rocking chair of broken bats...Or, you know, the Red Sox showing all the blown saves he had against them) and feels they could have done more? What, give Ortiz a bushel of crabs and a case of Old Bay would be better?

I don't think the chair thing was at all comparable.

That being said Ortiz not being able to take a joke with grace isn't surprising to me.

I am also not shocked to hear Jones say something like that considering where he was when the question was asked.

I wonder if he will reply in a similar fashion if someone asks at fan-fest?

According to ESPN, "The Orioles also made a $10,000 donation in Ortiz's name to the World Pediatric Project to help critically ill children in the Dominican Republic. "

The fact that Big Papi was displeased puts a smile on my face.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One of <a href="https://twitter.com/davidortiz">@davidortiz</a>&#39;s closest friends presented him with the very same phone he destroyed 3 years ago! ☎<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ThanksPapi?src=hash">#ThanksPapi</a> <a href="https://t.co/WzWZmgclw1">pic.twitter.com/WzWZmgclw1</a></p>&mdash; Boston Red Sox (@RedSox) <a href="https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/779097513219547136">September 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He is a man baby and a thin skinned ego maniac. Him and someone similar we've heard a lot about over the past year should get together and wipe each other's tears with one hundred dollar bills. Why is Jones even friends with this guy??? I am glad he won't be around anymore and not just because he magically put up MVP numbers at age 40.

I think the phone was a better idea than the box of 'riods they could have given him.

When  players sets themselves by notifying of their retirement a season in advance  they have to expect to get some weird gifts from the teams they have been beating up for years.   

When you make 159M in your career playing baseball like Ortiz did isn't that enough?  Are more gifts really required at that point?

20 minutes ago, oriole said:

He is a man baby and a thin skinned ego maniac. Him and someone similar we've heard a lot about over the past year should get together and wipe each other's tears with one hundred dollar bills. Why is Jones even friends with this guy??? I am glad he won't be around anymore and not just because he magically put up MVP numbers at age 40.

Winner!

I remember when Mora was at the end of his Orioles stay and he was on the bench because he was hitting around .150 and Ortiz said the Orioles were "disrespecting" Mora. Now he doesn't like a gift that was clearly meant as a joke? Want some cheese with that whine? Good riddance.

It was a gentle rib in the spirit of a retirement roast, get over yourself Papi.

Jones was just being diplomatic.  I wonder what  ""we could have done more" means exactly?  Blow up the remains of the phone on the field? Give Papi a Zumba gift certificate?

Plus, the O's should get a hoarder award for archiving the phone.

2 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

It was a gentle rib in the spirit of a retirement roast, get over yourself Papi.

Jones was just being diplomatic.  I wonder what  ""we could have done more" means exactly?  Blow up the remains of the phone on the field? Give Papi a Zumba gift certificate?

Plus, the O's should get a hoarder award for archiving the phone.

The Twins saved up shattered bats, for years, for the rocking chair.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the chair thing was at all comparable.

That being said Ortiz not being able to take a joke with grace isn't surprising to me.

I am also not shocked to hear Jones say something like that considering where he was when the question was asked.

I wonder if he will reply in a similar fashion if someone asks at fan-fest?

I don't think he should have 'roid raged the phone. 

14 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

According to ESPN, "The Orioles also made a $10,000 donation in Ortiz's name to the World Pediatric Project to help critically ill children in the Dominican Republic. "

The fact that Big Papi was displeased puts a smile on my face.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One of <a href="https://twitter.com/davidortiz">@davidortiz</a>&#39;s closest friends presented him with the very same phone he destroyed 3 years ago! ☎<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ThanksPapi?src=hash">#ThanksPapi</a> <a href="https://t.co/WzWZmgclw1">pic.twitter.com/WzWZmgclw1</a></p>&mdash; Boston Red Sox (@RedSox) <a href="https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/779097513219547136">September 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I was at the game when the phone was presented and it did seem like a bit of an awkward moment. 

Ortiz is obviously a big crybaby who not only throws temper tantrums but can't laugh at himself either. ( I still cna't believe He wasn't suspended for samshing the phone.)

I am glad that mdbdotcom posted that the Orioles did make a contributio to the charity listed above in Ortiz's name.

Maybe ortiz has some gratitude for this gesture, but I doubt it.

Have a nice retirement Roid guy.

Archived