Trade for Profar

OriolesMagic83

1 hour ago, millertime said:

Just out of curiosity, what evidence do you have that suggests that?  Seems like DD has the same MO every year.  Find bargain bin players, trade for middle of the road veterans, etc.  I could certainly be offbase here but I don't recall him trading for any elite prospects.

DD has limited resources and an oppressive owner who places strict limitations on what he can do. In spite of that he has found good players from, every where; the waiver wire, Japan, Korea, Mexico, rule 5 draft.  Trades like for Trumbo, He looks every where he can, even Australia and New Zealand. He doesn't trade for elite prospect because he doesn't have the players he can afford to give up. Britton maybe, but not unless he gets a big return. ,

But one thing he has not done is traded for a highly touted prospect.  I understand he has restrictions but trading a closer who is scheduled to make $6.5 million + for a highly touted prospect, who would not only make a tenth of that and be under control for longer doesn't seem like a "restriction" to me.

44 minutes ago, millertime said:

But one thing he has not done is traded for a highly touted prospect.  I understand he has restrictions but trading a closer who is scheduled to make $6.5 million + for a highly touted prospect, who would not only make a tenth of that and be under control for longer doesn't seem like a "restriction" to me.

The Orioles have not been in rebuilding mode during DD's time here.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

The Orioles have not been in rebuilding mode during DD's time here.

You don't HAVE to be in rebuilding mode to trade for a highly touted prospect.  Jurickson Profar is still considered a highly touted prospect but unlike other prospects, he is MLB ready so it's not really considered "rebuilding" per se.  Look at the market for closers right now.  The number being thrown out for Chapman and Jansen is in the $90M range.  That's INSANE so wouldn't teams looking for a closer much rather trade for Britton than spend that much and just think about what they'd be willing to give up.  The Royals get it.  They're offering Wade Davis because they have plenty of other viable options (as do we) to close for them next year but they can get a plethora of prospects in return.  Just my two cents.  Not saying my logic is correct...just my opinion.

54 minutes ago, millertime said:

You don't HAVE to be in rebuilding mode to trade for a highly touted prospect.  Jurickson Profar is still considered a highly touted prospect but unlike other prospects, he is MLB ready so it's not really considered "rebuilding" per se.  Look at the market for closers right now.  The number being thrown out for Chapman and Jansen is in the $90M range.  That's INSANE so wouldn't teams looking for a closer much rather trade for Britton than spend that much and just think about what they'd be willing to give up.  The Royals get it.  They're offering Wade Davis because they have plenty of other viable options (as do we) to close for them next year but they can get a plethora of prospects in return.  Just my two cents.  Not saying my logic is correct...just my opinion.

Royals are retooling.  They have seven players, including Davis that will be free agents next off-season and they can't afford to pay them.  Can't even take the chance to offer them QOs in hopes that they turn them down.  They have decided to attempt to trade as many of them as possible.  This has been widely reported.  Your comment that DD doesn't trade for prospects simply ignores the basic fact that the Orioles haven't been in rebuilding mode.  Trading starting players for prospects wasn't a logical strategy during the past five seasons where the team has been a contender.

45 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Royals are retooling.  They have seven players, including Davis that will be free agents next off-season and they can't afford to pay them.  Can't even take the chance to offer them QOs in hopes that they turn them down.  They have decided to attempt to trade as many of them as possible.  This has been widely reported.  Your comment that DD doesn't trade for prospects simply ignores the basic fact that the Orioles haven't been in rebuilding mode.  Trading starting players for prospects wasn't a logical strategy during the past five seasons where the team has been a contender.

I don't disagree with your comments however, as I've stated, closers are the hot ticket items right now and are bringing back huge hauls in return.  We have plenty of options for a closer (although not as elite as Britton) so if we could get a huge haul for him (there would have to be at least one MLB ready prospect such as Profar in the deal), I would be all over it.  Again, that wouldn't necessarily be "rebuilding/retooling".  It would be taking advantage of the market for closers right now while filling out other positions that need to be addressed, getting cheaper and younger and dealing from a position of strength for us.

9 hours ago, millertime said:

I don't disagree with your comments however, as I've stated, closers are the hot ticket items right now and are bringing back huge hauls in return.  We have plenty of options for a closer (although not as elite as Britton) so if we could get a huge haul for him (there would have to be at least one MLB ready prospect such as Profar in the deal), I would be all over it.  Again, that wouldn't necessarily be "rebuilding/retooling".  It would be taking advantage of the market for closers right now while filling out other positions that need to be addressed, getting cheaper and younger and dealing from a position of strength for us.

Your comment was that DD hasn't traded for prospects in his years here.  I was pointing out that the comment ignored the fact that the team was in contention and trading starting players for prospects was an illogical strategy during that time.

MLBTR just posted an article stating that, prior to the Nats trading for Eaton, they approached the Rangers about Profar.  I really wish Duquette would explore this option.  I'd be curious what it would take to get him.  Seems they asked the Nats for Joe Ross and the Nats said no.  Just my opinion but that doesn't seem like too high an asking price for Profar.

14 minutes ago, millertime said:

MLBTR just posted an article stating that, prior to the Nats trading for Eaton, they approached the Rangers about Profar.  I really wish Duquette would explore this option.  I'd be curious what it would take to get him.  Seems they asked the Nats for Joe Ross and the Nats said no.  Just my opinion but that doesn't seem like too high an asking price for Profar.

That's a pretty high price considering Ross has 5years of control and put up 2.1fWAR in only 105IP. You'd be looking at giving up Gausman as a comparable piece.

On 12/6/2016 at 10:36 AM, Frobby said:

The Rangers have won 87+ games in 7 of the last 8 seasons, including 5 playoff appearances and 2 World Series appearances.   I don't think you judge their front office on one deadline deal that didn't work out.   

What they'd want for Profar, I don't know.  

Good solid logic. Thanks. 

Archived