We will be seeing a lot of lot Chris Sale (traded to the Red Sox)

xian4

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ori-Al said:

I hate seeing our rivals get better.

How would the O's have turned out if Dave Dombrowski was our DD?  Better, or worse?

Interesting question.  We don't know what Dombrowski's relationship with Angelos would be like.  On the major league side at least, Dombrowski likes being at the high-stakes table.  Big FA signings and trades.  Both he and Duquette are not afraid to trade assets.  I would imagine a similar situation there.   But I don't know what Dombrowski would be doing with the minor league system and other facets of the team.  Duquette made a number of low key signings, international signings, that paid dividends.

Here is where it is almost like being on different planets....the Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees...they all operate in a zone that routinely every winter does the biggest deal, the biggest free agent signings, etc.   The Orioles never ever do anything like this and never will.   It doesn't mean we can't win or can't compete, it just means the winter is pretty boring when you root for our team versus the ones I mentioned. 

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Here is where it is almost like being on different planets....the Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees...they all operate in a zone that routinely every winter does the biggest deal, the biggest free agent signings, etc.   The Orioles never ever do anything like this and never will.   It doesn't mean we can't win or can't compete, it just means the winter is pretty boring when you root for our team versus the ones I mentioned. 

Chris Davis?

8 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Chris Davis?

Not comparable in any sense to the truly big boy deals, like David Price for example or Kershaw extension or Cabrera.  Or this trade, for another.     Davis was expensive for us but was really a type of deal that most any team could afford to do.  

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

White Sox have a bunch of guys that would fit great on this team.

Frazier(could trade hardy)

Melky(better fit than granderson, same $$$)

Eaton

Quintana

They have a bunch of guys the Orioles could use, but who would the Orioles trade for them? I don't see Melky as a better fit than Granderson anyway. Solid bat, but he's strictly a left-fielder and not a very good one at that. Granderson can play right field capably and is a better fit as a leadoff hitter.

2 hours ago, Ori-Al said:

I hate seeing our rivals get better.

How would the O's have turned out if Dave Dombrowski was our DD?  Better, or worse?

DD screwed up two off seasons ago when he decided to do nothing. The Sox and Yanks were not stacked. That window was going to be short lived. Now the Sox are stacked and Yanks will be back at it in 2018. That's just the bottom line.

11 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

DD screwed up two off seasons ago when he decided to do nothing. The Sox and Yanks were not stacked. That window was going to be short lived. Now the Sox are stacked and Yanks will be back at it in 2018. That's just the bottom line.

DD thought he was leaving town. And they should have let him imo.

18 hours ago, tntoriole said:

It's not that the Orioles don't do anything like this that is the problem, at least not for me. It's that they don't operate as if they are an organization that can't do this, and so must get creative to compete.  It's always, "Hold on to what we got, add a fringe piece here and there, give what we got a QO when they leave, use that draft pick to compensate us when we sign another fringe player that we give up a draft pick for. Rinse, Repeat."  And now we're stuck in a bad spot.  Not much talent in the farm, not much payroll space on the club, and not as overly talented as some of the competitors are. 

Archived