We will be seeing a lot of lot Chris Sale (traded to the Red Sox)

xian4

57 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Rizzo?   Just emptied his farm because he lost out on Sale?  I don't like him, but feel free.    Again, my point is not that DD is the end all be all #1 Franchise Doctor of all time.  It just seems that something is going right.  You must certainly believe that if only the Orioles had a decent GM, we would have 3 WS titles over the last 5 years.  And also I am certain that you believe that our 5 year winning streak was preordained prior to DD coming on board and it only remained for him to not screw it up....

The Orioles are picked to finish last 4 of the 5 years by almost everyone.  And yet....

I do agree that the obvious lack of a plan is unnerving.  Doesn't mean there isn't one, but it is unnerving that one is not clear.  Huntington and Rizzo though may well have changed their teams culture but when DD arrived, The O's were considered to be terrible in spite of what you say is the heavy work already done.

Here is the win totals for all the teams you reference over the last 5 yrs.

Cubs 400

Red Sox 408

KC 423

NYY 435

Pirates 437

Texas 434

Wash 538

SF 429

Tor 412

St. Louis 461

LA Dodgers 455

Baltimore is at 444.  That would be 4th on the list behind Cards, Nats and Dodgers.  It should also be pointed out that for most of the 5 years 8 of your GMs would routinely be in the top 10 in payroll (Cubs, Pirates, Royals) and the O's would rate behind every team in payroll over this period except for the pirates/royals and they are nearly even with the Royals.

That is what the O's have done under DD.  It is top 5 in all of baseball.  Now it is valid to say that if after 2 additional years that we not won a WS and that there is literally nothing left to compete with beyond 2018.  If that occurs, whether DD stays or goes, will impact his tenure and his legacy.  If we have no manager, no Manny, no Tillman, no Zack and nothing to show for their departures.  I'll bring the pitchforks.

But in the meantime, lets agree that we can criticize the method, lack of winning it all and even the inability to be more aggressive in going all in....but we cant really be fair in that criticism if we cannot appreciate the job that is being done.  Let's raise the bar, yes.  But let's recognize how far we have come, no?

Rizzo hardly emptied the Nats' farm system. They still put the Orioles' system to shame. Even after the Eaton deal, their young catcher Pedro Severino hasn't cracked the Baseball America organizational top 10 (he's 11th today). And Rizzo was the one who built the farm system that allowed them to deal from a position of strength. The Orioles have basically no position at all. They can't swing a big deal because they have nobody other clubs covet that much.

You can't just add up wins and judge solely on that, especially when the key players who contributed to those wins were virtually all acquired by somebody else. And if you're going to throw payrolls in there, you'll need to rank Sandy Alderson ahead of Duquette. He built a team that went to the World Series with a much lower payroll than the Orioles had in 2016. Sorry, but your argument for Duquette as one of the top 4 or 5 GMs just doesn't hold water. Nobody in baseball really believes that. You can appreciate certain moves he's made that have worked out and contributed, but you can't just cherry pick wins and payroll to glorify him as something he's not.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(MAY 24th)

Chris Sale is aiming to become the first Major League pitcher of the modern era (1901-Present) to strike out 10 or more batters in 9 consecutive games. ) :eek:

o

o

He has done it once before, when he pitched for the White Sox in 2015:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/chris-sales-record-double-digit-strikeout-streak-ends-at-eight-games/

So, Sale is trying to break his own record (shared with Pedro Martinez, who did it once when he pitched for the Red Sox.)

o

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We haven't seen a lot of him, though, contrary to the thread title.   We've seen him twice and at most will see him once more.    He's 2-0 against us, 5 ER in 14 IP.    Very good but he didn't blow us away.  

Someone's not very optimistic about October..........   ;)

• 4 weeks later...

o

According to ESPN, Chris Sale became the first Major league pitcher since 1894 (the year in which the mound was placed at its current 60 feet, 6 inches length) to strike out 10 or more batters on the road in 13 road games.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/30948/chris-sale

In 4 additional road games, Sale had 9 strikeouts.

He pitched in 19 road games overall so far this season.

So in 17 out of 19 road starts, Sale struck out 9 or more batters.

CHRIS SALE, 19 ROAD STARTS (207 SEASON)

10 or More Strikeouts: llllll.lllllllll 13 ) Times

9 Strikeouts: lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 4 .. Times

6 Strikeouts: lllllllllllllll.lllllll.l.lllllllllllllllll 1 .. Time

3 Strikeouts: lllllll.llll..lllll..llllll..llllllllllllll 1 l.  Time

o

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

May it be the only game he pitches this postseason.   

Some in Boston think he was overworked this year. 

I think we don't see him again. Even if they get to Game 4 he has never pitched on 3 days rest.  

When I saw that "waiting 23 years" quote, I immediately thought, "uh oh, he's putting waaaay too much pressure on himself." Sure enough, he blew it. I'm not at all surprised by this. You can't go into the playoffs with those kind of lofty expectations and work yourself up like that. Just pitch. Instead he left a lot of balls in the middle of the plate. 

On 10/5/2017 at 6:21 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Chris Sale, looking back on his long journey to the MLB postseason. 

'I've been Waiting for This for about 23 Years': Inside Chris Sale's Long Road to the Playoffs

(By Scott Lauber)

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/53607/ive-been-waiting-for-this-for-about-23-years-inside-chris-sales-long-road-to-the-playoffs

o

I hope it’s an even longer wait till the next time. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Scissorhands Sale getting humbled in that game. Early shower, kid.  And keep your mitts away from the uniforms. 

Archived