DD Needs to Think About the Orioles Organization For Once-My Trade Idea

Rene88

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

The list of players I would be willing to consider trading Britton for is very short, but Giolito would be one of them. Bregman is another because our system has no infield prospects after Manny. Very good fielder capable of playing SS and ceiling of .900 OPS.

I'd add the Dodgers to the list if they could get De Leon and other pieces.

I really don't see the Nationals offering Giolito for Britton.  I don't.  But if they did, I'd be all over it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, backwardsk said:

I don't think Rizzo gets nearly enough credit for turning Stephen Souza into Trae Turner and Joe Ross.  I mean, yeah.

Yep and it's funny how he has a commodity like Brach and he wants to possibly (all rumor here) for a 36 year old OF with a huge contract. Ugh. I pray that isn't what he gets for Brach. That's what I worry about that.

Rizzo is a great GM but it turns out he offered the Nats top 3 for Sale. 2 of which (Giolito and Robles) are top 10 in all of MLB. Wow. Surprised he offered that and even more surprising that they turned it down.

Wow, the Red Sox are in win-now mode. They will have no farm system shortly.

13 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

That is half correct. The true test of a fair message board trade is if everyone disagrees - half because they think the Orioles are getting fleeced, and half because they think it will never happen because the other side is getting fleeced. You only have the first part so far.

I don't think the value being given up is too crazy. It's too much but it's not far off to me. Britton and Eaton are of similar value. Frazier and Melky are solid enough players with value, but you'd need to tweak the rest of the package for certain. I also don't know why the Nats would want Hardy. They have too many middle infielders already. That's why Turner is playing in the outfield.

13 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lol our future?  Our future is now. I'm trading Britton for three starting position players. 

The off-season is fun for trade ideas like this. But here's how you know one is fair. Orioles fans disagree. 

If you truly believe the Orioles are contenders. Minus Trumbo and Alvarez we are minus about 60 homers. I do expect the pitching to be better. 

But the team is flawed as far as I'm concerned. Could they get to the play in game again? Possibly, but I don't think we can win the short series unless we get starting pitching like we had in the second half and we somehow learn to produce runs. Waiting for the homerun is not a good approach.

25 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If you truly believe the Orioles are contenders. Minus Trumbo and Alvarez we are minus about 60 homers. I do expect the pitching to be better. 

But the team is flawed as far as I'm concerned. Could they get to the play in game again? Possibly, but I don't think we can win the short series unless we get starting pitching like we had in the second half and we somehow learn to produce runs. Waiting for the homerun is not a good approach.

I agree. Sale really changes things in my opinion. The Sox are adding a Cy Young contender to a team that won 96 games. A deal like this would not be enough to put us over the top. We would be weakening our bullpen while improving incrementally on defense and treading water (at best) on offense. 

I am OK with waiting until next year before blowing things up, but I do not want to completely mortgage the future. 

17 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lets three team this trade idea up:

Nats get: Britton, Hardy

Orioles get: Eaton, Frazier, Melky

White sox get: Giolito, Fedde, SIsco, Harvey, Sedlock

Please god no.  Cost-controlled prospects or keep him.  Trading him so we can finish 20 games back of the Red Sox instead of 25? No thanks.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

So we're done in December because we've lost Trumbo and Pedro Alvarez.  Didn't the Red Sox lose Big Papi.  

LOL.  Everyone is crowning the red sox when they are going to be trotting out Big Panda and Moreland in the starting lineup.  

This is the same team that got laughed out of the playoffs in three games by the indians.  They played 2 more games than we did.  More fans around baseball remember our playoff experience than theirs.  

Gush away though.   

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

So we're done in December because we've lost Trumbo and Pedro Alvarez.  Didn't the Red Sox lose Big Papi.  

LOL.  Everyone is crowning the red sox when they are going to be trotting out Big Panda and Moreland in the starting lineup.  

This is the same team that got laughed out of the playoffs in three games by the indians.  They played 2 more games than we did.  More fans around baseball remember our playoff experience than theirs.  

Gush away though.   

Thats the insanity of the OH in the off-season. :)

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

The O's standing Pat after losing Trumbo and Wieters is really going to help the O's to compete with the Red Sox.  DD feels doing nothing is the improvement of the O's.  I guess talent for the O's are going to fall from the sky.  

I'm fine with you passing judgement a month from now (if we're in the same boat), but we're only 3 days into the winter meetings for god's sake. Chill. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gush away though.   

No insanity here, the Orioles have a flawed roster and approach in my opinion.  That did not just happen! I acknowledge that they made the one game playoff round. 

I think the starting pitching beyond Tillman and Gausman is suspect.

i think the offense has a lot of shortcomings, low OBP, not able to manufacture runs etc.

i think we were lucky and the teams in our division minus Tampa are better. The Yankees took steps forward after selling before the deadline and think they will be back soon.

Archived