Orioles told Bautista's reps...Orioles fans don't like him

Dark Helmet

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cimota said:

Which one of those two guys have a career .368 OBP or .861 OPS playing every day? Getting two mediocre players for the same price as one star player isn't a deal.   Well I wouldn't want Alvarez for league minimum.  

Yes, I would prefer Alvarez plus Pagan over Bautista by a considerable margin.  The draft pick makes it beyond question for me.  You are entitled to your opinion.

15 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Why does Toronto not want him?

Because they afraid he will stop using the 'roids once he gets a contract? And have his shoulder surgery so that he has a good quality of life in his retirement? So he  "can hold his kids."

If Bautista was six years younger, everybody would want him. It's not his personality that's the problem. It's his age. He blossomed late (for whatever reason...I always think fans of one team speculating about doping on other teams is hypocritical) and that's why his market is so weak. No one wants to take a big risk on a 36-year-old bat, with good reason. But there's a very good chance that he will be a difference maker next year, for whoever he plays for. And any team that overlooks that is being foolish, IMO. 

26 minutes ago, Number5 said:

So, do you mean a $4.5 million contract, or do you mean you think he's worth $29.5 million?

One year, $17 million, not including draft pick. The value of the lost first-round pick is defrayed over many seasons (and also speculative, with a wide variance between the player who never makes the major leagues and the one who becomes a regular). But more importantly, if the Orioles are intent on competing for a championship in 2017, Bautista brings them closer to that goal. The pick does not. If the organization were in a rebuild (which, arguably, it should be) then the pick would obviously be more important. 

Archived