An under-the-radar bad move from the MacPhail era

Frobby

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes.    I liked Turner but can't say I objected loudly when we put him through waivers.  

Turner was designated for assignment to make room for Scott Moore.  Dave Trembly was the manager at the time.  At the time of the DFA the Orioles had a record of 14 Wins and 31 Losses. 

Any one that thought it was better to keep Turner over others on the Forty man need to name the players that should have been released at that time.  The Orioles used 45 Players on the Twenty-Five man roster in 2010.  Turner was just one of the 45 needed to get through the season.

Four Players were on the DL at the time of the DFA

Koji Uehara, Brian Roberts, Michael Gonzalez, Felix Pie.

9 hours ago, thezeroes said:

Turner was designated for assignment to make room for Scott Moore.  Dave Trembly was the manager at the time.  At the time of the DFA the Orioles had a record of 14 Wins and 31 Losses. 

Any one that thought it was better to keep Turner over others on the Forty man need to name the players that should have been released at that time.  The Orioles used 45 Players on the Twenty-Five man roster in 2010.  Turner was just one of the 45 needed to get through the season.

Four Players were on the DL at the time of the DFA

Koji Uehara, Brian Roberts, Michael Gonzalez, Felix Pie.

Well, you could start with Moore, who had been mediocre in past opportunities with the O's.    As for my top candidate to be released, I'd go with Julio Lugo, who had a .435 OPS the day we DFA's Turner and had additude issues, yet stayed on the roster all year.

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

File under the "Jose Bautista" column of "Impossible to have expected or predicted".  I could make more of a case for Chris Davis becoming what he's become much more than guys like Bautista or Turner.

I agree that Turner becoming a star was unforeseeable, but he was in a different position than Bautista, who had never played above high A.    Turner was fully seasoned at AAA and had hit .300/.362/.388 at Norfolk in 2009.

Look, I don't want to make too much of it.   I agree it's pretty much 20/20 hindsight.    But it's a shame that in a lost season where we were out of the race by the end of April, we didn't give Turner more of an opportunity, while guys like Lugo and Garrett Atkins were given a lot of playing time.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, you could start with Moore, who had been mediocre in past opportunities with the O's.    As for my top candidate to be released, I'd go with Julio Lugo, who had a .435 OPS the day we DFA's Turner and had additude issues, yet stayed on the roster all year.

I agree that Turner becoming a star was unforeseeable, but he was in a different position than Bautista, who had never played above high A.    Turner was fully seasoned at AAA and had hit .300/.362/.388 at Norfolk in 2009.

Look, I don't want to make too much of it.   I agree it's pretty much 20/20 hindsight.    But it's a shame that in a lost season where we were out of the race by the end of April, we didn't give Turner more of an opportunity, while guys like Lugo and Garrett Atkins were given a lot of playing time.

Garrett Atkins. Yeah. 

45 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Where would he play right now on our team? I'm skeptical of NL talent for the most part anyway. 

That sure would be a nice problem to have! For this season they could have DHed him and then moved Manny to SS when Hardy becomes a FA.

All that said, I'm not sure I'm quite a Turner believer yet, but the Dodgers just locked him up for a very affordable price. No denying that. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

That sure would be a nice problem to have! For this season they could have DHed him and then moved Manny to SS when Hardy becomes a FA.

All that said, I'm not sure I'm quite a Turner believer yet, but the Dodgers just locked him up for a very affordable price. No denying that. 

I'm a believer. 

Archived