Which reliever has more trade value?

FanSince88

Which of these three has more trade value this offseason?

Britton -- Elite closer for a great value in terms of price.  Two more years of team control.  

Brach -- Probably good enough to be a closer for half the other MLB teams at least.  Probably about a quarter of the cost of Britton but had more than half his 2016 WAR.  Two more years of team control

Givens -- Maybe not closer material quite yet, but progressing rapidly and a very high ceiling.  Dirt cheap and controllable through 2021 (!)

Was hoping to make this a poll but not sure how to do that in the new site.  

5 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Brach, simply because you won't get what Britton is worth at this point, so you probably lyrics maximize trade value with Brach even though you may get more with Britton.  If that makes sense.

That's an interesting way of viewing it -- I guess there's two interpretations of "value", gross value or net value (ie, revenue vs income).  I can definitely see your point about Brach and don't dispute that trading Brach would have a better chance at being a net positive, while you're losing such a rare, elite talent if you trade Britton that it is very hard to recoup his value in a trade.  I suppose the same is true for Manny, as much as I hate to admit it.  

4 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Depending on how much of a "win-now" mentality I had, I'd probably want Britton most, followed by Givens then Brach. If I was dead set on winning now, I'd flip Brach and Givens.

I'd think you could pencil Givens in as a setup guy or at the very least a 7th inning guy on almost any ML team except perhaps the Royals.  

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Despite the disparity in cost and years of team control, I still think Britton would bring the highest return.   He's the biggest difference-maker of the three.

It's like when you trade five 1 WAR guys in a video game for a singular four WAR guy. Take the four WAR.

It's absolutely Britton. And I could care less about age, contract length, etc. When Brach has consistently performed at this level for 3+ seasons then "maybe" we have this discussion. Until then people need to take off the orange tinted glasses and curb their trade expectations for what we can get in return for Brach. 

And I don' t see any scenario where Angelos signs off o trading Britton right now. I think Dan would need to "convince" Angelos and I don't even think he's on board with the idea. If they fall out of contention this season I'm hoping that Dan will at least broach the subject with Agenlos. 

27 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's absolutely Britton. And I could care less about age, contract length, etc. When Brach has consistently performed at this level for 3+ seasons then "maybe" we have this discussion. Until then people need to take off the orange tinted glasses and curb their trade expectations for what we can get in return for Brach. 

And I don' t see any scenario where Angelos signs off o trading Britton right now. I think Dan would need to "convince" Angelos and I don't even think he's on board with the idea. If they fall out of contention this season I'm hoping that Dan will at least broach the subject with Agenlos. 

Yeah, it's Britton by miles.  Brach and Givens have value, but most teams have a Brach and a Givens.  And Britton will be well paid, but he'll still be arguably under-paid for the next 2 years.    

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Brach, simply because you won't get what Britton is worth at this point, so you probably lyrics maximize trade value with Brach even though you may get more with Britton.  If that makes sense.

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

If the Orioles made it know that Britton was available there would be plenty of interest.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Oh, so you mean now?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brachbr01.shtml

Of course Britton would bring the greater return, but to pretend that Brach isn't a valuable trade commodity is just plain wrong.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Oh, so you mean now?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brachbr01.shtml

Of course Britton would bring the greater return, but to pretend that Brach isn't a valuable trade commodity is just plain wrong.

Not really. He only has two seasons of 2+ WAR and teams place more value on closers than they do middle relievers. The only reason Andrew Miller was able to net such a big return last year was because he was great AND had closer experience. If the Orioles (or you) expect to receive that type of value for Brach then he'll never get traded. For example, using your logic the Mets should give us Conforto for Brach. Never gonna happen.

Britton by light years. Brach is a good relief pitcher, but there are plenty of guys like him out there. He's being vastly overrated by Orioles fans whose expectations of the return he might bring are often unrealistic. Britton is a special talent who could bring back a significant return. And he's at peak value right now.

Archived