Orioles Officially sign Catcher Welington Castillo

Machado13

45 minutes ago, weams said:

I'd like to sign this fellow and replace Caleb. 

I Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+
  vs RHP 692   2087 1762 221 436 94 6 65 241 6 4 303 558 .247 .357 .418 .775 737 37 4 4 14 12 8 .322 10

I'll take Alex Avila for $400, Alex.

Could be a sneaky good signing for some team.  I am going to guess Joseph's defense saves him a roster spot until Sisco is ready.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing Alex Avila's splits vs RHP has me thinking about Castillo:

Career OPS splits

vs. RHP		.243/.305/.392	.697

vs. LHP		.287/.354/.485	.840

Home		.254/.315/.416	.731

Away		.255/.320/.416	.736

1st half	.249/.304/.391	.695

2nd half	.260/.322/.443	.775

as PH		.170/.238/.256	.495	(42 PA)

He's going to help a team that really struggles vs LHP despite being RH heavy (or one would think).  The even Home/Away split is nice.  He should be mostly starting games at C.  He's also worse in high-leverage situations.  Being primarily a NL player, there's not enough data to know how he'll do at Camden Yards.

3 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Seeing Alex Avila's splits vs RHP has me thinking about Castillo:

Career OPS splits

vs. RHP		.243/.305/.392	.697

vs. LHP		.287/.354/.485	.840

Home		.254/.315/.416	.731

Away		.255/.320/.416	.736

1st half	.249/.304/.391	.695

2nd half	.260/.322/.443	.775

as PH		.170/.238/.256	.495	(42 PA)

He's going to help a team that really struggles vs LHP despite being RH heavy (or one would think).  The even Home/Away split is nice.  He should be mostly starting games at C.  He's also worse in high-leverage situations.  Being primarily a NL player, there's not enough data to know how he'll do at Camden Yards.

He says he like the park. 

Roch Kubatko write at MASN sports. 

Boras is believed to have contacted Orioles principal owner and managing partner Peter Angelos shortly before the Orioles reached agreement with Castillo. One last attempt to get them back in the bidding.

34 minutes ago, weams said:

Roch Kubatko write at MASN sports. 

Scott Boras really is a terrific agent, one of the best ever.

...and he's in a really tough spot with Matt Wieters.  I'm not sure what magic he can conjure up at this point.  Wiet might have to sign a one year "prove it" deal, maybe with a second year option, like Castillo.

26 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Scott Boras really is a terrific agent, one of the best ever.

...and he's in a really tough spot with Matt Wieters.  I'm not sure what magic he can conjure up at this point.  Wiet might have to sign a one year "prove it" deal, maybe with a second year option, like Castillo.

i think he gets two years with an option with the Nationals. We shall see. Braves or Nationals. Not many choices left.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 5:18 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I'm fine with the decision.

But it's a two year deal with an opt out.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 6:01 PM, Ruzious said:

Well, it's a 1 year deal with a player option for 7 mil.  I expect he'll end up having a good year and decline the option.  The O's were ahem... welling to take a relatively small risk on the contract.  

What's that?  Keep my day job?  Well, you would do well to get used to the welling and wellingness comments.  

I think it's not worthwhile getting caught up in the wording.   Either way, the substance is the same.   But there is a big difference between this deal and a really expensive, long term deal where a player can opt out after a couple of years.    Not a difference in the kind of deal, perhaps, but a huge difference in the degree of risk involved.    That's why I don't feel Dan has been hypocritical.

• 1 month later...

I am very upset that he is going to be playing in the WBC. How much time will he have now to get to know the Orioles pitchers once he arrives back from the WBC? I would have Caleb be the starting catcher on opening day if I was Buck. I wouldn't allow Wellington to be the starter until he gets to know every pitcher.

2 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I am very upset that he is going to be playing in the WBC. How much time will he have now to get to know the Orioles pitchers once he arrives back from the WBC? I would have Caleb be the starting catcher on opening day if I was Buck. I wouldn't allow Wellington to be the starter until he gets to know every pitcher.

I'd put Caleb in AAA and sign another catcher. 

3 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I am much more upset at Manny. If Castillo gets injured, we can find another 1 WAR C somwhere. Manny is irreplaceable. He should not be risking his career playing exhibition games. 

9 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I am much more upset at Manny. If Castillo gets injured, we can find another 1 WAR C somwhere. Manny is irreplaceable. He should not be risking his career playing exhibition games. 

Why is playing in the WBC any more dangerous than playing in a spring training game for Manny?

Archived