Sign Bourn and Pagan and presto we have an outfield

FanSince88

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Dan isn't worried about long term solutions.

Well that is an  opinion. And you have every right to think that way.  But I will not.

I think  Dan is concerned with long term.

That is why I think he signs Tillman to a four year contract with a vesting option this off season.

That is why he will give Sisco every chance to develop as a catcher.

That is why I think he trades Manny and Britton next off season.

That is why I think the O's extend Buck and Dan next off season.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Well that is an  opinion. And you have every right to think that way.  But I will not.

I think  Dan is concern with long term.

That is why I think he signs Tillman to a four year contract with a vesting option this off season.

Gosh I sure hope you are right and I am wrong.

(except I don't think a four year contract for Tillman is a good idea)

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gosh I sure hope you are right and I am wrong.

(except I don't think a four year contract for Tillman is a good idea)

Tillman is only 28.  The contract would be for ages 29-32.   He should still be in his prime.  I see nothing wrong with a 4 year contract with an option for a 5th year.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't like any of these guys.

Bourn and Pagan are two old bandaids.   They do nothing for the  O's long term.  

Revere's noodle arm and poor OBP for a lead off guy doesn't help the O's.

Rasmus is a low OBP/high strike out guy that does not fit what the O's need.

Granderson is old (36).  A one year fix at 15m.  Not where the O's need to go.

The O's probably  have massive changes coming next off season.  They need to fix the outfield this off season.

The O's probably have to wait until Encarnacion signs.  Trumbo could be the next to sign after him.   If the O's get him then Mancini can be traded in a package with minor leaguers to get a right fielder with young legs.   That is were I hope the O's go.

The O's probably  have massive changes coming next off season.  They need to fix the outfield this off season.

The O's probably have to wait until Encarnacion signs.  Trumbo could be the next to sign after him.   If the O's get him then Mancini can be traded in a package with minor leaguers to get a right fielder with young legs.   That is were I hope the O's go.

I cant believe anyone woyld give us a decent young of in exchange for mancini.  Our cof is currently a dumpster fire.  Maybe you arent excited about pagan but he will be cheap, low committment, and will provide a serviceable bat and glove.  Thats better than any return we could get for mancini.  Id be ok with a reasonable 3yr trumbo deal and 2 yrs of pagan.

I think  Dan is concerned with long term.

Buck isn't extending if Manny and/or Britton is traded. He's not going through a rebuild at his age.

7 hours ago, Babypowder said:

Why would you want a poor hitter leading off every day?

A poor hitter? Since when is a guy who almost always hits over .300 and steals a bunch of bases a poor hitter? He hit between .294 and .319 for six straight seasons before suffering an oblique injury on opening day last year that plagued him all season.

5 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

I cant believe anyone woyld give us a decent young of in exchange for mancini.  Our cof is currently a dumpster fire.  Maybe you arent excited about pagan but he will be cheap, low committment, and will provide a serviceable bat and glove.  Thats better than any return we could get for mancini.  Id be ok with a reasonable 3yr trumbo deal and 2 yrs of pagan.

Dan does make trades.  Some good, some bad

Delvin Jones for Brad Brach

Steve Clevenger for Mark Trumbo

26th round draft pick  draft pick Zach Davies for Parra

19th round draft pick Josh Hader and BJ Hoes for 2014 15 game winner  Bud Norris.  Bud pitched 6.1 inning for shutout ball to halp the O's win the ACDS over the Tigers.

I am sure Dan can putl a package of minor leaguers together for a young outfielder. Either a major leaguer or a minor leaguer. Cheap Mancini will be attractive to some teams and could be involved in the trade if the O's sign Trumbo.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Dan does make trades.  Some good, some bad

Delvin Jones for Brad Brach

Steve Clevenger for Mark Trumbo

26th round draft pick  draft pick Zach Davies for Parra

19th round draft pick Josh Hader and BJ Hoes for 2014 15 game winner  Bud Norris.  Bud pitched 6.1 inning for shutout ball to halp the O's win the ACDS over the Tigers.

I am sure Dan can putl a package of minor leaguers together for a young outfielder. Either a major leaguer or a minor leaguer. Cheap Mancini will be attractive to some teams and could be involved in the trade if the O's sign Trumbo.

Maybe he pulls a rabbit out of a hat with a trade of Mancini for an ML-ready young OF, I just don't think it's likely at all.  Seems like a pipe dream at this point, it would be a miracle if he could pull such a deal off and he'd have my greatest admiration if he could.  

And even if he does, I still would like to see a 2/12 deal for Pagan.  For stability and depth in a position where we sorely need it.  

25 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Buck isn't extending if Manny and/or Britton is traded. He's not going through a rebuild at his age.

Why would trading Manny and/or Britton necessarily represent a "rebuild"? I don't hear Dan talking in those terms. He's always looking to win this season, which is terrific. If you were trading Manny, Britton, Jones, Davis, Tillman... that'd be a rebuild.

For the record, I hate the idea of "rebuilding"... I think it's a trap. Hopefully we will never rebuild again.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Teams that have 60m coming off their payroll do not rebuild, they reload.

Then why trade one of the best young players in the game? Just pay him. It's hard to reload these days. Look at this FA class. The best available guy is what 33 or 34. 

20 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

A poor hitter? Since when is a guy who almost always hits over .300 and steals a bunch of bases a poor hitter? He hit between .294 and .319 for six straight seasons before suffering an oblique injury on opening day last year that plagued him all season.

If the O's sign Trumbo where would Revere play.  He doesn't have have the arm for right.  Jones is in center.  Kim is left-handed in left.  And Revere is left-handed.   I don't see the match.

24 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Then why trade one of the best young players in the game? Just pay him. It's hard to reload these days. Look at this FA class. The best available guy is what 33 or 34. 

DD: The players need to go where they can get the most money and maximize their careers, that’s the way the system is set up. As long as there’s a lot of interest around the world and around the league, I think you’ll continue to see robust player salaries. The problem I have with that kind of money is it takes more than one player to have a good team and the fans want a good team year in and year out which is what we’ve been giving them in Baltimore here making the playoffs three out of the last five years and having competitive, winning teams every year. But the challenge to doing that is you can’t put too much money in any one player because it takes a lot of good players to have a good team and that’s really the challenge of running a team year in and year out. We keep trying to find that sweet spot. I don’t begrudge the players for getting a lot of money, but what I don’t like, I’d like to see it more evenly distributed from player to player. You’re not an individual performer when you’re out there on the field. Yeah those players have great talent, but you can come out to see the team and they like to see the team win.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

DD: The players need to go where they can get the most money and maximize their careers, that’s the way the system is set up. As long as there’s a lot of interest around the world and around the league, I think you’ll continue to see robust player salaries. The problem I have with that kind of money is it takes more than one player to have a good team and the fans want a good team year in and year out which is what we’ve been giving them in Baltimore here making the playoffs three out of the last five years and having competitive, winning teams every year. But the challenge to doing that is you can’t put too much money in any one player because it takes a lot of good players to have a good team and that’s really the challenge of running a team year in and year out. We keep trying to find that sweet spot. I don’t begrudge the players for getting a lot of money, but what I don’t like, I’d like to see it more evenly distributed from player to player. You’re not an individual performer when you’re out there on the field. Yeah those players have great talent, but you can come out to see the team and they like to see the team win.

Ok. Still doesn't answer the question. Manny approached them about a new extension, and they drug their feet. 

Archived