That yearly, hypothetical, fun question...

Moose Milligan

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank Robinson. 

I think we are built to win, right now through 2018, with above-average but unspectacular starting pitching(Tillman, Gausman, Bundy) paired with a shutdown bullpen(Britton, Givens, Brach), along with an elite (if somewhat flawed) offense and competent defense.

Add Frank's bat to that in one of our outstanding areas of need heading into 2017?

Yes, please :x

12 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

You'd rather have Bonds or Cobb over which one of those guys? And I never saw the Babe play.

Did I said exclusively biased?

I'd take both of them over Frank.  Bit harder coming up with a second choice but I'd seriously consider both of them over Ted who is a lot more one dimensional than the rest of the list.

Just now, crissfan172 said:

I would take Bonds over all but Mays. 

Bonds wouldn't have had numbers better than Mays without the roids. and he was not a team player. Frank's numbers might have been similar to Bonds if he had taken roids. Cobb's game wouldn't have played today and he was a clubhouse cancer. Frank would have elevated the players around him.

My top 5 position players all time are the Babe, Willy, Ted, Hank, and Frank. Palmer's not up to that standard.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

No Cobb no Bonds?  Seems biased toward players you saw when you were young.

No Honus, no Josh Gibson, Satchel or Jackie Robinson?

3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Bonds wouldn't have had numbers better than Mays without the roids. and he was not a team player. Frank's numbers might have been similar to Bonds if he had taken roids. Cobb's game wouldn't have played today and he was a clubhouse cancer. Frank would have elevated the players around him.

But Ruth tried using PEDs and you have him listed...

We also don't know what Frank did or did not take.  It was an option when he played.  We do know that Greenie use was rampant in that era and those are currently banned.

I was hoping to keep PED use out of this discussion but when you don't have facts...

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

But Ruth tried using PEDs and you have him listed...

We also don't know what Frank did or did not take.  It was an option when he played.  We do know that Greenie use was rampant in that era and those are currently banned.

And who knows what was in all those hot dogs back then.

8 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

For me, it'd go:

1. Mays - Plus defender, played CF, great hitter and base runner 

2. Bonds - Plus defender, great hitter and base runner 

3. Aaron - Same as Bonds, but not as good a hitter or base runner. Probably better defensively. 

4. Robinson - Similar to Aaron, but not quite as good. 

5. Ruth - Unbelievable hitter, but not a complete player.

6. Williams - Same as Ruth, but Ruth probably a little better in most respects. 

I wouldn't even know how to compare Cobb to these players.

8 minutes ago, crissfan172 said:

For me, it'd go:

1. Mays - Plus defender, played CF, great hitter and base runner 

2. Bonds - Plus defender, great hitter and base runner 

3. Aaron - Same as Bonds, but not as good a hitter or base runner. Probably better defensively. 

4. Robinson - Similar to Aaron, but not quite as good. 

5. Ruth - Unbelievable hitter, but not a complete player.

6. Williams - Same as Ruth, but Ruth probably a little better in most respects. 

I wouldn't even know how to compare Cobb to these players.

Cobb led the league in BA 12 times, stolen bases six times, and slugging eight times.

3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Though first 12 years of their career Bonds: .290, .411, .556, .996 164 OPS+ 411 HR 1216 RBI. Frank: .302, .392, 556, .948 156 OPS+ 418 HR 1277 RBI.  Pretty much the same player except for SB IMO.

And if they had both retired after 12 seasons we wouldn't be saying Bonds was better.

But they didn't.

Archived