TT: Smith for Gallardo trade a good step, but now what?

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes they let Verrett and Almanzar go but they did also bring both back.  I think ample evidence exists that they put a lot of stock in the players they select.

Yes, I would hope that they put stock in what their scouts tell them.  I certainly wouldn't expect them to draft guys that they think have no chance of making it. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Number5 said:

I didn't buy into anything.  I simply acknowledge the possibility that bringing Kim along slowly may have been beneficial.  His extremely slow start in spring training would seem to support this.  Or, maybe you are absolutely right.  Certainly no way to know.

If the Orioles had their way, they would've voided Kim's contract and sent him back to Korea before the regular season even started. I don't call that "bringing him along slowly" like it was a carefully crafted strategy -- I call that getting stuck with him and then managing to reap the benefits when it turned out he was actually good.

15 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

If the Orioles had their way, they would've voided Kim's contract and sent him back to Korea before the regular season even started. I don't call that "bringing him along slowly" like it was a carefully crafted strategy -- I call that getting stuck with him and then managing to reap the benefits when it turned out he was actually good.

Void it?  Never heard that.  IIRC, they tried to look into the possibility of a Korean team buying the contract, but never heard they were trying to have it voided.  What were the grounds? 

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Void it?  Never heard that.  IIRC, they tried to look into the possibility of a Korean team buying the contract, but never heard they were trying to have it voided.  What were the grounds? 

That's what I mean -- "void" it by sending him back to the Korean League. The O's wanted out of the deal.

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I want two of these three bats: Trumbo, Bautista, Alvarez. I'm not comfortable or happy with this current roster.

We really just need one now with Seth Smith here.  I just hope we make the right move with our last opening on offense.  I think DD will tinker with the pen a bit now and maybe bring back a Hunter, Worley or David Hernandez.  

Plus if Gallardo got traded maybe now there is hope that we could do the same with Ubaldo.  Even though that trade took one of the few options away where a contract swap could happen.  

12 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

You mean his 19 career plate appearances as a DH?

I looked at his DH and pinch hitting and recognize it as a sample size. But I don't like to gamble with a DH. Simply some guys can do it and others can't/don't want to. 

I see little opportunity for him to play 1B, 3B, or 2B as all those guys play everyday. Hardy plays everyday when he's not injured. 

18 hours ago, Number5 said:

I didn't buy into anything.  I simply acknowledge the possibility that bringing Kim along slowly may have been beneficial.  His extremely slow start in spring training would seem to support this.  Or, maybe you are absolutely right.  Certainly no way to know.

Why would you think Buck stop playing Kim in spring training and all the talk about wanting to send him back to Korea was a master plan to help him slowly adjust?

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Why would you think Buck stop playing Kim in spring training and all the talk about wanting to send him back to Korea was a master plan to help him slowly adjust?

I don't.  Never said that.  I think the Orioles saw how poorly he started off spring training and understandably looked into the possibility of seeing if a Korean team would buy the contract.  Since it was for way more money than any KBL player has ever been paid, they quickly learned that it wasn't possible.  They asked Kim if he would accept an option to Norfolk, and he exercised his contractual right to refuse.  That is unrelated to whether bringing Kim along slowly may have been beneficial.  If you choose to believe that it is impossible that it may have been beneficial, that is your right.  I have no problem at all with your opinion.  I prefer to acknowledge the possibility that it may have been beneficial.

17 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Starting to look like Trumbo or Carter from my perspective.

I think Trumbo going to end up taking our 3 year offer. Either that, or he's going to ask for a one-year deal so he can go back out on the free agency markey next year when a 1st round pick won't be attached to him. If the Orioles decide to go that route, I'd offer 1yr at $11 million. Take or leave it.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think Trumbo going to end up taking our 3 year offer. Either that, or he's going to ask for a one-year deal so he can go back out on the free agency markey next year when a 1st round pick won't be attached to him. If the Orioles decide to go that route, I'd offer 1yr at $11 million. Take or leave it.

I agree, but I could see a team like the Rockies jumping in at that point.  They've already lost their first rounder for Desmond.  We'd probably have to give Trumbo a contract similar to how Bautista's is structured.  Not money wise but basically opt outs after every year and mutual options.  

Archived