Questions to be answered in Spring Training

wildcard

Here are a few question that I think the O's will be looking for answer to in ST:

1. Who is the best leadoff hitter?  Rickard, Tavarez, Smith or Kim?

2. Who is the best right fielder?  Smith, Rickard, or Tavarez?

3. Who is the best left fielder?   Kim, Smith, Rickard or Tavarez?

4. Who is the best catcher to share time with Castillo? Joseph or Pena?

5.  Does Drake fit in the  bullpen or do the O's need someone with options in that spot?

6. Who is the O's best 6th starter?  Wright, Wilson, Verrett, Worley (if acquired) or someone else?

7. Can Mancini hit his way onto the team?

9 minutes ago, canonfaz said:

It will also be interesting to see who Buck will slate as the backup in center field. With Adam going to the WBC this year, there will be plenty of chances to see different guys there during games.

I may be wrong, but I don't see that guy on our roster right now

2 hours ago, canonfaz said:

It will also be interesting to see who Buck will slate as the backup in center field. With Adam going to the WBC this year, there will be plenty of chances to see different guys there during games.

Rickard will be Jones primary backup.  Tavarez will see some time there in ST but I have read that he is better in the corners.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Here are a few question that I think the O's will be looking for answer to in ST:

1. Who is the best leadoff hitter?  Rickard, Tavarez, Smith or Kim?

Smith or Kim will be okay v. RHP, but as the roster currently stands neither of their platoon mates Rickard or Mancini seem right v. LHP.  Would it be crazy or crazy like a fox to put Beef - career 287/354/485 v. LHP - up top?  I always like getting the 3rd PA of platoon advantage on the opposing SP's 19th batter faced, and with many of our RH hitters not having much in the way of platoon splits, Castillo might benefit from the advantage more than the others.

Castillo C

Machado 3B/Davis 1B/Trumbo RF/Jones CF/Schoop 2B

Hardy SS/Mancini DH/Rickard LF

He might get a 3rd look at Eduardo, Snell, CC, Happ, etc. there, but that'll almost never happen from the lower third of the order.

Archived