Realistic Trade Targets for the Orioles. Make Your Suggestions And/Or Weigh in

wildbillhiccup

11 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I bet Drake can replace much of that production.  I'm still in the "trade Brach for OF help" camp.  And Drake is a big reason for that; I believe in the guy.

Oh, I agree.  I like having Drake and think he would be a more than adequate replacement in Brach's role.  I just meant adding   Hernandez or Hunter  to fill the hole in the BP.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/20/2017 at 0:21 PM, wildbillhiccup said:

I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to hypothetical trade targets for the Orioles. A place where folks can make suggestions and/or play arm chair GM and come up with potential trade scenarios and allow the rest of us to weigh in. This way we don't clutter the board with individual threads for each suggestion. I'll start the process. 

My suggested trade target is Jurickson Profar. 23 year old player/prospect for the Texas Rangers who has split time between 2b, 3b, SS, and OF.  

I love this guy and it seems like he's about to be the out man out (again) in Texas. Right now he's slated to be part of a 1B platoon but if the Rangers sign Napoli it will move him into a utility role. I think demonstrated last season (for stretches) that he bat leadoff and that he's versatile enough to play just about anywhere. With that in mind I have two questions. 

1) Is there an opening on our team for him this season? Could we plug him in as our primary LF with the intention of moving back to the infield next where when Hardy walks (assuming they don't exercise his option)?

2) Do we have what it would take to land him? I'm assuming the Rangers would be be looking for pitching in return. Would a package centered around Brach be enough? Or maybe this is the right situation for us to entertain trading Britton? 

Scouting Report Article on Profar from 2016 - http://www.lonestarball.com/2016/2/2/10892900/player-review-jurickson-profar

I think you'd need to provide Britton value for Profar unless you threw in some additional high value, and for good reason. He's an elite player/prospect. I could see packaging Mancini, Brach and Mike Wright for Profar. Then I'd promptly stick him in right or left field full time, and Smith would provide depth and bench presence. To me, Smith would be a great piece off the bench and in spot starts... but he's not an everyday player. 

7 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

I think you'd need to provide Britton value for Profar unless you threw in some additional high value, and for good reason. He's an elite player/prospect. I could see packaging Mancini, Brach and Mike Wright for Profar. Then I'd promptly stick him in right or left field full time, and Smith would provide depth and bench presence. To me, Smith would be a great piece off the bench and in spot starts... but he's not an everyday player. 

I know it's probably a pipe dream, but I think I would trade Britton for Profar. Yes losing arguably the best closer in baseball would sting, but closer is a fickle position and each year several new names seem to rise to the top. And I think gambling that Brach can be one of those players is an educated risk. I also love the idea of slowly looking to "get younger" so a complete rebuild isn't needed. Profar's youth and position flexibility would make them a better team now and help them hedge their bets when Hardy, Schoop, and even Machado becomes free agents.

Trade Idea 2:

The Orioles trade Brad Brach to the Reds for Billy Hamilton

Yes, that Reds seem to be in rebuilding mode, but hear me out. They have arguably the worst bullpen in baseball. It's truly abysmal. And even though they seem to be "sort of" rebuilding they also need to try to field a competitive team to try and sell tickets. I think Brach instantly legitimizes their bullpen. And part of me things the Reds still don't view Hamilton as a full time player and might be willing to sell low. I on the other hand don't think we've seen the best of of Hamilton. His speed and defense already makes him a difference maker. With a few adjustments to his swing I think he could be an elite lead off hitter. 

And if the Reds want to "go big" I'd consider trading them Britton if they also included Raisel Iglesias (with Hamilton) in the deal. 

Thoughts? 

Prior to the team getting Smith and Trumbo I'd be higher on the idea of getting Hamilton.  Now... well it still makes sense, but Hamilton would be the 4th OF, backup CF and pinch runner.  They may have to give up too much to get a bench player that hasn't hit very well to this point.

I don't see the Reds going for Brach though when so many relievers are still on the market.  They would be interested in a young, controllable arm.  I think in another thread discussed this - something like Givens+ could get the deal done.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sign Jeff Francoeur on the cheap to platoon in RF with Smith.    Career .777 OPS against LHP.   726 last year.    Average RF with a great arm.   Some veteranosity.     He's an older Dariel Alvarez but more proven as a ML player and probably can handle the bench role better.

That's realistic in the Orioles world!

And if you ever need a guy to come in and get Nolan Reimold out...

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I know it's probably a pipe dream, but I think I would trade Britton for Profar. Yes losing arguably the best closer in baseball would sting, but closer is a fickle position and each year several new names seem to rise to the top. And I think gambling that Brach can be one of those players is an educated risk. I also love the idea of slowly looking to "get younger" so a complete rebuild isn't needed. Profar's youth and position flexibility would make them a better team now and help them hedge their bets when Hardy, Schoop, and even Machado becomes free agents.

I think this is the first time in OH history that someone has massively over-rated a non-Orioles player instead of an Orioles player. 

Profar is bad.  He's a bust and he's already arb eligible. 

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That's a pretty rough assessment.    The kid has serious shoulder surgery and missed two full years.   He turns 24 in February.    I think your obituary is a bit premature for a kid with 600 ML AB's, half of which were taken when he was 19 and 20 and the other half after missing 2 full years.    We are talking about a kid who possibly (considering he started 10 games at SS last year) is still a plus defensive SS with offensive upside.    Far from a sure thing but silly to call him a bust based on his career to date.

The emboldened phrase in your post are the key words.  The proposal was trading Britton for him.  I'd have to agree with ArtVanDelay that that would be a poor trade for Baltimore.  You don't trade arguably your most valuable player for a guy who is far from a sure thing.  You just don't.

59 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I think this is the first time in OH history that someone has massively over-rated a non-Orioles player instead of an Orioles player. 

Profar is bad.  He's a bust and he's already arb eligible. 

How about a trade suggestion then.

39 minutes ago, Number5 said:

The emboldened phrase in your post are the key words.  The proposal was trading Britton for him.  I'd have to agree with ArtVanDelay that that would be a poor trade for Baltimore.  You don't trade arguably your most valuable player for a guy who is far from a sure thing.  You just don't.

I wouldn't want to be on the Britton side of the "Britton or Machado, who is move valuable?" debate.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't want to be on the Britton side of the "Britton or Machado, who is move valuable?" debate.

:)  I think you know the meaning of the word arguably.  Britton certainly has a very strong case as the most valuable Oriole in 2016.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

:)  I think you know the meaning of the word arguably.  Britton certainly has a very strong case as the most valuable Oriole in 2016.

I think he has a very strong case as the second most valuable oriole in 2016.

I personally don't think he has much of a case at all in a direct head to head comparison with Machado.

And there we both stand and I don't think further discussion is needed.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he has a very strong case as the second most valuable oriole in 2016.

I personally don't think he has much of a case at all in a direct head to head comparison with Machado.

And there we both stand and I don't think further discussion is needed.

LOL.  So, in other words, "I can talk, but you can't."  Hilarious.  Yes, I think Machado is the more valuable player.  My comment stands, however, and certainly nothing that you have said has disproved my point.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

So if you both agree that Machado is the most valuable player is it really arguable?    You'd have to find someone who believes Britton was the most valuable Oriole.   Good luck.

Jumping on that particular statement is a bit much, even for you and Corn.   The meaning of arguably is clear to everyone.  Britton can make a case.  Period.  Pretending that I said Britton is more valuable than Machado is just that, pretense.  And for what reason would anyone decide to debate over this?

Archived