Yordano Ventura dead at 25

pwhite

This is very sad! As someone who has been to the Dominican Republic  twice in the last 9 months these are genuinely nice people. 

Once outside the lines of sports they are in fact just that. We hope there are people in their lives that help them from making horrible decisions. 

That seems were this all becomes very sad. 

RIP gents...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If we can post the image here, isn't the cat already out of the bag?     Either way, I understand that he was being thoughtful.

I mentioned the people who are close to the deceased as an example of those who might be offended, who might not think of it as being "tame," as you put it. As for whether the cat's out of the bag, at least Can slowed down the process of hurling it out on the street and made it a matter of individual choice. I'm sure those who truly cared about Ventura would have appreciated it. Morality is a matter of individual choices regardless of whatever "grand scheme" happens to be in power at the moment.

I have nothing more to say on the issue. To continue talking about it, for me to continue to talk about it, becomes another violation. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

The other morgue shots that have been published from the DR have appeared far more gruesome. But certainly, death photos should be treated with respect to all concerned. Everyone has a camera now though. And everyone is a content publisher. 

I was a real publisher once--the press I founded is now housed at USC--and I believe in poetry when it comes to commemoration of the dead.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I'm not saying it's a bad idea but why should MLB be held to a higher standard than society in general?      Are there a much greater number of players who drive while intoxicated or are involved in alcohol related fatalities than the general public.    If so, then maybe you're onto something.    I admit there has been a rash of accidents this offseason but I don't recall anything like this before.

MLB is not responsible for changing our culture.   Maybe baseball's culture but until someone shows me differently, I think baseball is just a society on a smaller scale.   People drink and drive.  Baseball players drink and drive.   Guys who work in the factory drink and drive.

I was talking about baseball's culture.  You know where folks talk in revered tones about how many beers Wade Boggs could drink on a cross county flight.

As for higher standards, when I was in the military if I got caught drinking and driving I would have received both civilian and military sanctions so what I am suggesting is not without precedent.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know, I wish I didn't have to get up on a soapbox every offseason and rail against MLB not doing anything about players and alcohol.

That's three MLB players that we know were drinking and driving so far.  Two fatalities. 

What would you like MLB to do?   As of 2012, 19 teams had banned alcohol in the clubhouse (I don't know about 2016 or the Royals),   I'm sure they have employee assistance programs that are better than in most businesses.   Is there some step you think they should take that they're not taking?    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What would you like MLB to do?   As of 2012, 19 teams had banned alcohol in the clubhouse (I don't know about 2016 or the Royals),   I'm sure they have employee assistance programs that are better than in most businesses.   Is there some step you think they should take that they're not taking?    

Sure, first off it should be banned from all clubhouses.

Secondly they should have mandatory training starting in the minor leagues.

They should punish folks, especially when it is someone in management. 

Similarly they should make it abundantly clear that you won't be punished if you approach the team needing help.

I'm not interested in looking up references for you but I have read enough stuff over the years to feel confident in saying certain aspects of playing baseball for a living (travel, late nights, pain) make using alcohol more likely.  If you would like to discount that go right ahead.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not sure about baseball but I believe a DUI gets you the probation list with the NFL's conduct policy. At that point I don't think you are allowed to drink.  I'm not certain that it would've prevented any of these deaths but there are steps that can be taken

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Similarly they should make it abundantly clear that you won't be punished if you approach the team needing help.

I'm not interested in looking up references for you but I have read enough stuff over the years to feel confident in saying certain aspects of playing baseball for a living (travel, late nights, pain) make using alcohol more likely.  If you would like to discount that go right ahead.

Maybe turn down revenue from beer companies?  

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Not sure about baseball but I believe a DUI gets you the probation list with the NFL's conduct policy. At that point I don't think you are allowed to drink.  I'm not certain that it would've prevented any of these deaths but there are steps that can be taken

Matt Prater got suspended for drinking beer in a private residence in the offseason.

Sadly, too many people lose their health or lives every day throughout the world as a result of themselves or someone else driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.  It is a major social problem.  Not a whole lot can be done to stop it.  Many countries, including most states in our own country, have adopted harsher penalties than once existed, but, given the insidious nature of drug addiction and alcoholism, it isn't a problem that harsher punishments can completely eradicate, IMO.  The harsher penalties are appropriate, however, and I believe that they do help reduce the toll, as more people do make other transportation arrangements if they know that they will be indulging.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not at all.  I support what you've said.    But I'm ignorant about what MLB now does, beyond what I said above.   Also, it's hard to know if any of that is going to prevent a 25-year old from going out and drinking in the middle of the offseason.   

Archived