Jorge de la Rosa or Oliver Drake?

wildcard

Jorge De La Rosa will be 36 soon.  He has been a starter most of his career.  He is left-handed.   Still on the market.  Made 12.5m last year.   His 2012-2015 ERA as a starter was 3.49, 4.10, 4.17 pitching in Colorado.  Last year it spiked to 5.51.  He has averaged between 24-32 starts, 134-184 innings over his last four years.  

Oliver Drake is out of options.

I think the first five spot in the pen are taken wth Britton, O'Day, Brach, Givens and Hart.   The 7th spot is probably a guy with options like Wilson, Verrett or Wirght.   However the sixth spot might be Drakes or an addition that Dan might make.

So if De La Rosa can be had for 3-4m on a minor league contract with an out if he does not make the team by Opening Day, should the O's try to make him a swingman?  Or do you like Drake better?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Jorge De La Rosa will be 36 soon.  He has been a starter most of his career.  He is left-handed.   Still on the market.  Made 12.5m last year.   His 2012-2015 ERA as a starter was 3.49, 4.10, 4.17 pitching in Colorado.  Last year it spiked to 5.51.  He has averaged between 24-32 starts, 134-184 innings over his last four years.  

Oliver Drake is out of options.

I think the first five spot in the pen are taken wth Britton, O'Day, Brach, Givens and Hart.   The 7th spot is probably a guy with options like Wilson, Verrett or Wirght.   However the sixth spot might be Drakes or an addition that Dan might make.

So if De La Rosa can be had for 3-4m on a minor league contract with an out if he does not make the team by Opening Day, should the O's try to make him a swingman?  Or do you like Drake better?

I like Drake better. The guy is the poor man's Britton. Another couples of guys who would be interesting would be Chris Lee and Richard Rodriguez

I like Drake better, but don't view him as necessarily a swing man. 

Britton, O'Day, Brach, Givens and Hart are locks, leaving 2 spots left in the pen. I think one goes to Drake and one goes to Verrett as the roster is currently constructed. To me, a De La Rosa signing would impact Verrett's spot. 

36 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Britton, O'Day, Brach, Givens and Hart are locks, leaving 2 spots left in the pen. I think one goes to Drake and one goes to Verrett as the roster is currently constructed. To me, a De La Rosa signing would impact Verrett's spot. 

If you go with Drake and De La Rosa there is no one to option. Givens and Hart have options but they are too valuable to option.  I think one spot has to be reserved for an optional pitcher like Verrett, Wilson or Wirght.

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If you go with Drake and De La Rosa there is no one to option. Givens and Hart have options but they are too valuable to option.  I think one spot has to be reserved for an optional pitcher like Verrett, Wilson or Wirght.

That's really not how they've operated in past years.

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree with jamalshw. If they go after de la Rosa, which I think would be a good idea, it's for the long man/6th starter role with potential to move into the rotation in the event of injury or poor performance. So that pushes the other options for that role (Verrett/Wilson/Wright) to AAA, not affecting Drake that much. Yes there's some advantage of having an optionable RP that can easily be sent to AAA, but that advantage is outweighed by the depth and experience advantage de la Rosa would provide. At least that's how I would see it.

37 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

I would imagine at this stage of the winter de la Rosa ain't getting anything better than an non-roster invite.

Perhaps the O's could give him a 45 day up or out clause though, if that's what it takes to sign him.  He'd certainly add some depth

Mike Bordick and Dan Connolly indicated last night that the Orioles were interested in signing another veteran starter prior to the 13th. 

7 hours ago, backwardsk said:

2015:

Britton, O'Day, Hunter, Matusz, Webb, WWright, Garcia, Brach, Hunter.  

2014:

Hunter, ODay, Matusz, Britton, Webb, Stinson, Meek

2015: Gausman was optioned and he started and relieved

2014: Gonzalez was optioned.

But I see your point.  Sometime the O's just wait till they can put someone on the DL.

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Drake is cheap, and has tons of service time.  He also gets LH hitters out.  He should be given and has earned a real chance.

Another LH who can function as the long man is preferred but not at the expense of Drake.

I think Drake.

Archived