Orioles sign Chris Johnson

oriolesacox

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep, good point about the horribly timed WBC taking away Machado and Schoop.

Thanks, but just stating what I read in Roch's online article and it makes sense.

None of these guys were available because they were major league quality for 162 games as a starter.

4 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Yeah, Johnson's never been great. His 2012/2013 campaigns were pretty strong, but that's really it.

Even his best year was hollow. .321 batting average, but only 12 hrs and 68 RBIs in 582 at bats. Those are poor man's James Loney numbers (ouch!). I'm fine with the signing but let s just call a spade a spade and agree that Johnson has no business every being on the major league roster.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Even his best year was hollow. .321 batting average, but only 12 hrs and 68 RBIs in 582 at bats. Those are poor man's James Loney numbers (ouch!). I'm fine with the signing but let s just call a spade a spade and agree that Johnson has no business every being on the major league roster.

He posted an .815 OPS that year while playing third base. That'd make him No. 6 among qualifying third basemen in 2013. There's nothing hollow about that. Very good year.

Obviously he's not that guy anymore. Just organizational depth, as we've noted numerous times. But don't act like this guy hasn't ever had a good season in his life.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Johnson is an organizational depth signing at this point, and his father manages our Norfolk club.  Nothing to complain about here.  He did have some good seasons, though.  I think you are shortchanging him a bit.  Who knows?  Maybe he can end up filling our DH spot vs. LHP if he shows he can hit LHP.  He will probably get plenty of ABs while Manny and Schoop are at the WBC.  The fact that he can back up at 3B doesn't hurt, and Mancini could play every day at Norfolk.  We'll see.

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

He posted an .815 OPS that year while playing third base. That'd make him No. 6 among qualifying third basemen in 2013. There's nothing hollow about that. Very good year.

Obviously he's not that guy anymore. Just organizational depth, as we've noted numerous times. But don't act like this guy hasn't ever had a good season in his life.

Hollow. Does that mean powerless, or not full of enough walks to go with?

He also comes cheaply to the Orioles, who will have to pay only the league minimum if he makes the club. The Indians are responsible for the rest of his $9 million salary.

This is from RK's piece this morning. I must be missing something..wasn't he a FA ? how does the Indians owing $9 mill come into play?

31 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

He also comes cheaply to the Orioles, who will have to pay only the league minimum if he makes the club. The Indians are responsible for the rest of his $9 million salary.

This is from RK's piece this morning. I must be missing something..wasn't he a FA ? how does the Indians owing $9 mill come into play?

When they cut him last year he was under contract through 2017 (and a $1M 2018 buyout).

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

When they cut him last year he was under contract through 2017 (and a $1M 2018 buyout).

Thanks....if the O's ate a contract like that, people would go nuts. You'd think they could have gotten something or a cash deal to relieve some of the $$$. Good deal for CJ....$9 or is $10 million man, no pressure, playing in the minors (might be a better gig than the majors, no pressure).

Just now, UpstateNYfan said:

Thanks....if the O's ate a contract like that, people would go nuts. You'd think they could have gotten something or a cash deal to relieve some of the $$$. Good deal for CJ....$9 or is $10 million man, no pressure, playing in the minors (might be a better gig than the majors, no pressure).

They didn't sign him for that deal, he was traded for other bad contracts.

"Those of you who aren’t familiar with Johnson might ask why he was even available on a minor-league deal in the first place. Part of the reason he doesn’t have more of a reputation is that it seems like every team he’s been on has refused to use him properly.

Despite the fact that he’s clearly best used as a platoon bat, he’s logged over two thousand plate appearances against right-handed pitchers compared to just 771 against lefties. Because of that, his career numbers are unimpressive overall. Teams aren’t fighting each other to sign a first baseman who’s a below league-average hitter."

"Johnson may not be the next McLouth, but he could be. We’re talking about a player who had a .314/.350/.436 career line against left-handed pitching going into last season. If 2016 was just a blip and Johnson could become his former self again, he could be an unexpected boost to the Orioles’ lineup this year."

http://www.camdenchat.com/2017/2/16/14634910/orioles-chris-johnson-duquette-left-handed-pitching

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

A .786 lifetime OPS against LHP is okay but it's not exactly a big deal for a guy who plays 1B and 3B and maybe DH.    And of course, that was BEFORE last year.    He had a ..745 OPS against LHP's in 2017.     He also had a .618 OPS against LHP's in 2016.    Somehow, I like Trey Mancini's chances to a little better.

Johnson SHOULD have no chance of making the team unless Manny goes down.

"Okay" is pretty good considering what we paid for him, IMO.  And what we might be looking at him for.  Certainly worth a shot and nothing to be upset about, as I see it.  If the thought is that they want Mancini playing everyday in Norfolk in 2017, rather than being the short side of a DH platoon in Baltimore, I can see how Johnson would have a chance to make the team.  Not a terrible choice in my view.  If  he shows well in spring and goes north with the club, then bombs out, so be it, no real loss and we can always bring Mancini up.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I would be disappointed if that happened.   Will it make or break the season?   No.    Sending Mancini down to have fly balls die in Harbor Park serves no purpose, IMO.   The kid turns 25 in March.    Time to reward someone who has earned a chance rather than giving it to a retread who is 32 and has been in serious decline since 2013.   Spring training stats be damned.    Mancini not only deserves the chance but it by far a much better choice to DH against LHP's to start the year.

I'm certainly not against Mancini and don't disagree with him being with the big club as the short side of a DH platoon.  That's what I've been figuring all along.  I'm just saying that there is nothing bad about signing Johnson at virtually no risk, and I can see how he has a chance to make the club.

On 2/13/2017 at 6:27 PM, FlipTheBird said:

Yep, let's put it this way... we went into a playoff a few years ago without Manny and Flaherty played 3rd in the postseason.   As a starter.

Now if, God forbid, something happens to Manny in September, we go into the playoffs with a former batting title winner playing 3rd.   He might not be what he used to be but I'll bet his bat has more hits in it than Flaherty's.

Archived