Fangraphs: Nationals were unwise to sign Wieters

FanSince88

I don't think they make a strong case here.  Was he unaware that they do have a left handed reserve for Zimmerman and Werth in Lind?  With Lind, Drew, and Taylor, they have a strong and versatile bench.  

Wieters is better than Norris.  The contract won't prevent them from adding improvements.

58 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

I agree. Not to mention once again a team bids against itself and shells out 21m. It makes no sense. I can't imagine anyone coming close to that. It is as if Boras told the owner or GM that he had to at least beat Castillo's deal.

1 hour ago, pastorfan said:

I agree. Not to mention once again a team bids against itself and shells out 21m. It makes no sense. I can't imagine anyone coming close to that. It is as if Boras told the owner or GM that he had to at least beat Castillo's deal.

I guarantee you that's what Boras said.  He probably threatened to "hold out" until mid-season to sign unless Castillo's deal was significantly beat.  Whether or not he and Wieters were willing to actually do that is another story, but apparently the Nats believed his threats.  Not sure which would have been more humiliating for Boras  -- having to wait until mid-season to get his client signed, or signing his client for only slightly more, the same, or maybe even less than Castillo.  Of course, now they get to save face.  

I think the article is being a little too hard on the Nats.  Especially in the NL where you have always have a guaranteed black hole in your lineup, it doesn't hurt to have two catchers who can hit competently.  This Norris guy seems like a halfway decent hitter, and obviously so is Wieters.  Not sure if that Loboton guy has options or not (fangraphs article implies he doesn't), but he's 32 years old and making $1.5m and barely above replacement level for his career so I doubt the Nats shed a tear if they have to DFA him at the end of ST.  He might be a nice defender but I have a feeling there's plenty like him out there that can be picked up for a song if there's an injury during the season.  

2 hours ago, pastorfan said:

I don't know why you think there were no other teams in on Wieters.   There were rumors about several teams having interest.    I doubt the Nats bid against themselves.    

I was confident the White Sox were going to be in on Wieters, and now that they aren't I have no clue what they're going to do for catching. Geovany Soto seems like the closest thing to an everyday guy for them.

I think the White Sox will probably look to unload Robertson to the Nats for, if not Norris, maybe a package with Severino or  Lobaton.

29 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

I think the article is being a little too hard on the Nats.  Especially in the NL where you have always have a guaranteed black hole in your lineup, it doesn't hurt to have two catchers who can hit competently.  This Norris guy seems like a halfway decent hitter, and obviously so is Wieters.  Not sure if that Loboton guy has options or not (fangraphs article implies he doesn't), but he's 32 years old and making $1.5m and barely above replacement level for his career so I doubt the Nats shed a tear if they have to DFA him at the end of ST.  He might be a nice defender but I have a feeling there's plenty like him out there that can be picked up for a song if there's an injury during the season.  

Norris has an option.

21 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I was confident the White Sox were going to be in on Wieters, and now that they aren't I have no clue what they're going to do for catching. Geovany Soto seems like the closest thing to an everyday guy for them.

I think the White Sox will probably look to unload Robertson to the Nats for, if not Norris, maybe a package with Severino or  Lobaton.

I do think you'll see a Robertson for Severino+ deal.

3 hours ago, Larry18 said:

Norris has an option.

Ah, in that case Norris will be seeking to prove this ST that his bat has some life left after his bad performance last year.  If he slumps all spring, the Nats might just option him.  May option him regardless.

1 hour ago, FanSince88 said:

Ah, in that case Norris will be seeking to prove this ST that his bat has some life left after his bad performance last year.  If he slumps all spring, the Nats might just option him.  May option him regardless.

They could but I think they'll move him.

4 hours ago, Larry18 said:

One of the writers (can't remember) said that Wieters didn't move the ceiling but he certainly raised the floor. I agree with that statement.

That's a very good way to put it.  And in the NL, it's always worth raising the floor of a position player role.  

Archived