Pick Three for the 25-man

Aristotelian

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

I don't think there is any way we keep two rule five's on the 25-man.  That would be an unheard of thing for a team expecting to contend to do.  

I'm going with Rickard, Flaherty, and Tavarez.  But I think we start the season with 14 position players given the need for only four starters over the first two weeks.  So Rickard, Flaherty, Tavarez, and Maninci.  Kim needs to prove he can hit lefties.  

If Santander isn't able to be stashed/DL'd then maybe you keep him over Tavarez but keeping two Rule V's at the expense of the big league roster would be crazy. 

I believe that Bourn will replace one in a couple weeks anyway. See who gets hurt.

A lot depends on whether Kim can hit LHP. If he can then you only need one RH platoon for Smith(Rickard/Gentry). That leaves room for one of Taverez or Santander. Otherwise we wpold have too keep both RH OF. Hopefully Kim holds his own v LHP and we keep Flash, Joey, and Taverez.

6 minutes ago, weams said:

Beef. Flaherty is a real catcher by now.

I suppose that's a way to go.  Unlikely IMO.  

To me the main x-factors that are going to affect the make up of the roster are how Santander and Tavarez perform over the next month and how Kim looks against lefties.  

Just now, ChuckS said:

I suppose that's a way to go.  Unlikely IMO.  

To me the main x-factors that are going to affect the make up of the roster are how Santander and Tavarez perform over the next month and how Kim looks against lefties.  

I figure April is finding out what you have time. As I said, I assume Bourn makes the squad. Gentry and Joey are hours away. Something happens to one of the rule five guys. And Mancini is there in case Trumbo or Davis get hurt. Because Walker is gone now.

I was bullish on Mancini's ability to start the season on the big league roster before a couple weeks ago.  It's looking more and more unlikely, but if you start with 14 position players maybe he makes it or maybe you can start the season (briefly) with both Rule V's plus Rickard and Flaherty. 

I think Rickard is probably the most important part of our bench and surprised to see him being left off of some people's starting 25 considering the need for a right handed hitting outfielder.  I like him over Gentry and don't even think it's close.  

36 minutes ago, weams said:

Tavarez, Santander, Flaherty

18 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I don't think there is any way we keep two rule five's on the 25-man.  That would be an unheard of thing for a team expecting to contend to do.  

I'm going with Rickard, Flaherty, and Tavarez.

I don't see Tavarez making because simply on paper he is RH.

That said, it is not like Rickard and Flaherty are untouchable. Both are former Rule 5 guys, and Rickard in particular has options. I could see it going weams' way. 

If TJ had made the team we could have had a scenario with four or five current or former Rule 5ers. That would have been truly unprecedented.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't see Tavarez making because simply on paper he is RH.

That said, it is not like Rickard and Flaherty are untouchable. Both are former Rule 5 guys, and Rickard in particular has options. I could see it going weams' way. 

If TJ had made the team we could have had a scenario with four or five current or former Rule 5ers. That would have been truly unprecedented.

I truly do not see a way that both rule fives are on the MLB team for more than a couple weeks. 

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, I guess so.   I still say the lack of a guaranteed contract shows that Bourn was more of an insurance policy than Plan A.

To me, he and Tavarez make little sense when your starting outfield corners are Kim and Smith.

My actual answer is that they wanted the slot on the 40 man. 

Just now, RZNJ said:

Again, if Bourn was plan A, I think they could have easily moved Walker, Alvarez, or McFarland at the time to make room.   I'm sure there are other names I could come up with as well.

But by giving Bourn the minor league deal they kick the 40 man roster problem down the road a good month.  Which has some value at no cost.

Archived