Pick Three for the 25-man

Aristotelian

2 minutes ago, weams said:

So this is his peak year?  If so, a shame. Because he will play very little in the MLB. 

27 on average is peak for hitters.  But every one is different.

You are not paying attention.  If Joey shows significantly better range than Kim (and I think he will), then Adam is going to come into the dugout when Kim is out there and give Buck that looks that says Joey would have had that one. Jones is a force and he is persistent.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Both Kim and Rickard have a chance to be better in 2017 than 2016, benefiting from experience in the big leagues.    Rickard's odds of improving are probably better due to his age.    But he has a big gap to close to justify playing much vs. RHP.    It's a tall order.  

Yup, I think he is up to it.  Its up to him.

Just now, weams said:

I'm not convinced he will get much chance at the MLB level to show that this season.

I don't expend much energy trying to forecast how it will all play out.    There are hot streaks and cold streaks, and injuries.    It's not like Buck writes out his lineup cards for all 162 games before the season begins.    He'll have a basic idea of what he wants to do, and then adjust as the season unfolds.    But I don't expect his initial plan will involve giving Rickard tons of at bats vs. RHP.

13 minutes ago, weams said:

So you are saying that Bourn or Gentry will play more then?

I have not figured out whatis going to happen with Bourn.  He is out until mid April which means he will play some in the minors.  If he hits, and he should at that level, then Buck seem to like him a lot.

Gentry is on a minor league contract.  I have not heard of an opt out in that contract.   He has to hit in ST to have a chance to make the roster.  He is competing with the Rule 5 guys.  He could be sent to the minors until later in the year.

But overall I think Joey is competing for a starting spot.  If he does well in ST he will make the team and play a fair amount.  If he plays well in the regular season he has a chance to win a starting job.

Gentry, Bourn and the Rule 5 guys are competing to make the team.  

Now if Joey doesn't hit he could end up in AAA.

Archived