1. 1. Who starts in OF

• Gentry
    • Mancini

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, dan-O said:

I would love nothing more than for Trey to play well out there, hit an opposite field home run, and then the O's win due to a Gentry pinch run steal. Then I can officially retire from message board baseball because I will have won at it. 

:) 

You will always, always, be wrong about Parra. :P

For the record I never said it wouldn't happen, just that it shouldn't happen.

3 hours ago, ELMERO said:

Yes, speed and defense are useful in the early innings, of course.  So is hitting.  Hyun Soo Kim offers, absolutely, none of these factors.  What you saw from him on Opening Day, is what you're most apt to get for the rest of the season.  Little "tricklers" to the right side of the infield and an OFer who looks like he's running in sand.  This is why Rickard should be be given every opportunity to be the full-time LFer and lead-off hitter,  Of course, sadly, we have to play Kim, because, we're stuck with his sizable contract, (for only 1 more year, thank God.)  Sorry, I know, (for a reason known only to you), that you hold Kim in high esteem.

So what is with the high exit velocity on the balls he hit last year?  Did the system glitch every time he came up?

Kim, pretty often, hits the ball HARD.

And I don't hold Kim in high esteem, I just don't discount him, and I have never been shy about explaining why.

1 minute ago, dan-O said:

What did I even say about Parra? That he was gonna be good? If so, guilty as charged. 

And I never really said it should happen either, but I was surprised at folks' lack of Buck understanding. Buck is a great manager, but he's easy to read at this point with these types of decisions. 

I had to laugh at all the national articles about Buck using Britton on OD - like... y'all realize that was a home game right?

You don't remember?  You were on the other end of my tirade against the Parra trade.  I ripped it front, back and sideways.

2 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I thought this would be the case as well. Despite people's insistence to the contrary, Buck does not appear to value corner outfield defense much. 

I don't see how it makes much sense to keep him on the roster and then not play him. Looks like we face CC on Sunday. Next week Buck can play Trumbo in LF vs Boston. Good chance we see Sale and Erod up there. Maybe he gets a start in Toronto vs Liriano. 

By next Saturday he will be back in AAA when we need a 5th starter unless someone gets hurt.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You will always, always, be wrong about Parra. :P

For the record I never said it wouldn't happen, just that it shouldn't happen.

Why keep him up here for less than 2 weeks and let him ride the pine?  

3 minutes ago, dan-O said:

I seem to recall something about BABIP. 

Was it the .268 OBP or the .357 SLG you didn't like?

I didn't like a lot of things.

1. His unsustainable BABIP
  2. His decline on defense
  3. Trading Davies
  4. Buying at all when the team didn't have the pitching

4 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, amirite? 

They didn't keep Gentry on the roster at the start of the year if they aren't committed to keeping him. Trey will get around 5 starts and then be sent down to work on his defense. Gentry will get plenty of playing time as the season goes on. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think in general, I would not want to consign any prospect to playing 1B exclusively in the minors if it is believed that he has sufficient skill to play another position.    There might be some exceptions, but they'd be rare.  

I agree with you, 100%

The story we kept hearing, he didnt have the tools to play COF and his 1st defense was below average.

Not they decided he can play COF? 

I try to not take shots at the Org when they do things that just don't make common sense, but in this regards, it makes no sense.

They knew 1st was filled by Davis and he showed his plus defense again the other night. They should have done something with Mancini in the minors.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree with you, 100%

The story we kept hearing, he didnt have the tools to play COF and his 1st defense was below average.

Not they decided he can play COF? 

I try to not take shots at the Org when they do things that just don't make common sense, but in this regards, it makes no sense.

They knew 1st was filled by Davis and he showed his plus defense again the other night. They should have done something with Mancini in the minors.

Have to wonder if they thought Trumbo was a done deal that he was gone. 

That said I agree with you and Frobby. 

Archived