1. 1. Who starts in OF

• Gentry
    • Mancini

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Unless Rickard goes stone cold or gets any worse on defense, I suspect Mancini goes down if for no other reason than to give him swings.

It's not swings he needs it's playing time in RF.

2 hours ago, weams said:

Has he ever been out-righted before? 

Baseball Reference appears to say not. 

He was Designated for Assignment by Oakland on November 20, 2015 prior to being out-righted to the Minors.  He was Designated for Assignment prior to his release on July 30, 2016 by the Angels.  Having already been designated (Twice) and having the over 5 years of MLB service time he can become a Free Agent if waived and designated again.

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/player/502226/craig-gentry

I have a hard time believing the Orioles decided to bring Mancini north, just to rot on the bench. I think there is a plan to play Mancini against LH starting pitching. Now, that may be at DH. It may be in RF. Or maybe even first base although that is less likely this early in the season because Davis is much better defensively and does not yet need the rest.. I will be shocked if he isn't in the lineup though.

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did you miss the part of the season where he lost his starting gig to the guy they wanted to send back to Korea?

Key words here are "starting gig." But as a platoon player against lefties? Last year in 90 PA's he had an .861 OPS (.313/.367/.494). He also pounded the ball in the minors in 2015 (697 PAs, .849 OPS including.401 OBP) and in spring training 2016 (1.044 OPS) and 2017 (.923 OPS). Unless he plays himself out of it, he's our guy against lefties, and this is sort of his audition year for possible long-term starter/leadoff hitter.

6 hours ago, El Gordo said:

After the 15th they are not going with a 4 man rotation or a 6 man pen.

I think its very likely that they go with a 4 man rotation after the 15th until May 2nd when Tillman is activated.   They will probably promote a starter from the minors for one day on the 15th and the 22nd.

If they don't start Manicini alot, he shouldn't be up here. He would be better served down in AAA playing, rather than just sitting on our bench. Gentry is a backup. I think he has to start Mancini.

12 hours ago, Moondoggie said:

But 17 games at AA are just that -- 17 games at AA. They are not games at AAA, which is a level higher. So logic would seem to dictate that if he fell off so drastically after moving from AA to AAA, there should be questions surrounding whether or not he's ready for prime time. I've said before that I think he has the potential to carve out a big league career with his bat (some have compared him to Matt Adams and that's probably a good comparison for his potential, although when he was called up last year Fangraphs gave his minor league comp as Kevin Barker, who played in 126 games over five seasons -- but married Hazel Mae). That doesn't mean he's ready to "mash" in an extended run now, nor does it do anything to lessen the negative impact of having a very slow, unathletic player who has never played the outfield before this spring at any professional level getting significant time in right field.

Also, Harbor Park is a convenient excuse, but also a poor one. The fact is that Mancini hit 7 of his home runs in 63 road games and 6 in 62 home games. By contrast, Dariel Alvarez hit 11 of his 16 home runs at home in 2015. He's now a pitcher. And it's not like Harbor Park is Yellowstone. The dimensions are actually very similar to OPACY (333 left, 400 center, 318 right).

And the scouting report I reference was the 2017 model (it even mentioned his home runs in the September call-up). There's always the chance he could exceed expectations (he already has to a certain extent) and be the player you guys seem to have it in your heads he's destined to be. But none of the scouts are expecting it.  Neither am I.

Thanks for the information.  That is why I like guys from Notre Dame...exceeding expectations.  Or maybe I have watched Rudy one time too many!   It does hinge on whether he can play a better than Trumbo right field.  That is not the highest of bars for this "slow, unathletic" guy to pass.  We shall see. 

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I have seen no reason as to why he can't be as good as Smith or Trumbo in RF.  

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I have seen no reason as to why he can't be as good as Smith or Trumbo in RF.  

I have. Trumbo and Smith played outfield in the minors.

Archived