Dylan Bundy 2017

Frobby

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Palmer commented during the Red Sox telecast last game that teams are expecting a power pitcher and they're seeing a guy who hits his spots.  He might never dominate like Seaver, but hopefully he can keep following the Mussina path.

If I really want to put on the orange colored glasses, I can imagine the lack of his top velocities from last year is a gameplan as the org knows they are trying to get him from 100 to 200 innings this season, and know he needs to pace.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The fastball command has been excellent but he was missing both the slider and curveball last night and I would consider those to be his best two strikeout pitches.

That's basically what I've seen for 4 straight starts now. His K rate for the season is 5.5 right now. He has struck out 3 or less in 4 straight starts and 5 of 6. I don't think he can continue this success if that trend doesn't reverse. His strand rate and HR rate probably can't continue.  He's allowing a lot of contact and a lot of fly balls. 

3 hours ago, Babypowder said:

That's basically what I've seen for 4 straight starts now. His K rate for the season is 5.5 right now. He has struck out 3 or less in 4 straight starts and 5 of 6. I don't think he can continue this success if that trend doesn't reverse. His strand rate and HR rate probably can't continue.  He's allowing a lot of contact and a lot of fly balls. 

I really couldn't care less.   He has batters off balance, he's being more pitch-efficient and he's winning.   I'd rather see that than see him strike out 7, throw 95 and be done after 5 innings.   

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I really couldn't care less.   He has batters off balance, he's being more pitch-efficient and he's winning.   I'd rather see that than see him strike out 7, throw 95 and be done after 5 innings.   

Why does it have to be one or the other? 

I'd like to see him be pitch efficient, keep batters off balance, and have that 95 in his back pocket when he needs it.  Seems like the BABIP against him is not sustainable.  

What do the following Orioles Pitchers have in common???

Mike Cuellar

Scott McGregor

Dennis Martinez

Scott Erickson

Ross Grimsley

Steve Stone

Rick Sutcliffe

Jose Mesa

Fernando Valenzuela

Steve Trachsel

Doug Drabek

Freddy Garcia

Ken Holtzman

14 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Why does it have to be one or the other? 

I'd like to see him be pitch efficient, keep batters off balance, and have that 95 in his back pocket when he needs it.  Seems like the BABIP against him is not sustainable.  

Sure, I'd love that.   But I'm not going to complain about having a pitch-efficient pitcher who is consistently getting deep into games and giving us a great chance to win.    

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know that strikeouts don't have a particularly pronounced impact on pitch counts.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know that strikeouts don't have a particularly pronounced impact on pitch counts.

You're right.    Getting outs instead of allowing hits or walks lowers pitch counts.   And so long as he's doing that, I'm not going to worry much what kind of outs they are.    I'm enjoying watching 2017 Dylan Bundy.   

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure, I'd love that.   But I'm not going to complain about having a pitch-efficient pitcher who is consistently getting deep into games and giving us a great chance to win.    

Exactly. I would much rather have a pitcher than a thrower. Does anyone here remember Jamie Moyer?  The fastest that he threw was around 80. But he could pitch. After he left the Orioles,  he became an All Star 20 game winner. He would mix his change-ups around so that he drove the batters absolutely nuts. 

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You're right.    Getting outs instead of allowing hits or walks lowers pitch counts.   And so long as he's doing that, I'm not going to worry much what kind of outs they are.    I'm enjoying watching 2017 Dylan Bundy.   

I'm fine with all of that.  :D

I just don't want the strikeouts = high pitch count myth perpetuated.

The loss in velocity isn't necessarily a problem.  Except sometimes it's indicative of fatigue, which raises the concern of susceptibility to injury. It's still in the back of my mind.  His pro innings high is 109 (last year).  180 innings would be quite an accomplishment this season.

If he sits 92 the rest of the year and executes his secondaries, he'll be awesome.  But you have to wonder if he can do that if he's already lost a couple of MPH and it's just the first week of May.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, you should. It's very hard to be good long term in today's game with those trends continuing.

Archived