Orioles Acquire Miguel Castro Designate Gunkel

weams

8 hours ago, Philip said:

The Twins gave Jason Castro 24 million because of his framing. It matters to some people...

Castro is worth a bit more than a win a year (rWAR doesn't include framing) and the going rate for free agent wins is about 8.5M.  Three years 24.5M doesn't seem particularly out of place given his non-framing production. 

13 hours ago, esmd said:

I think Castro is a guy who gets less out of more.  The guy has a great arm and nasty stuff, yet always gets lit up.  I dunno if he's in love with himself and thinks he's better than he is, or what.  His underachieving is hugely disappointing.

It's actually quite simple, he doesn't have major league command, and his slider has been downright awful this season.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

The regression of Miguel Castro has been weird, especially considering we have the tools to help, you'd think. What's different this year? Why isn't he missing more bats? It's odd. 

I'm not making any conclusions on the new tools/information, but outside of maybe Means, we certainly have not seen them help out very much on this pitching staff.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not making any conclusions on the new tools/information, but outside of maybe Means, we certainly have not seen them help out very much on this pitching staff.

At first I thought this was silly that they needed video to figure this very obvious fact out. But now I'm thinking it's a poorly worded description of the coaches noticing it, and showing Miguel how he needs to fix the issue. At least I hope that's the case, because this was very obvious in early ST to the naked eye. I'm not sure why they let him roll with that armslot so long. 

Just now, interloper said:

At first I thought this was silly that they needed video to figure this very obvious fact out. But now I'm thinking it's a poorly worded description of the coaches noticing it, and showing Miguel how he needs to fix the issue. At least I hope that's the case, because this was very obvious in early ST to the naked eye. I'm not sure why they let him roll with that armslot so long. 

It’s an all new coaching staff, but you would have expected them to pickup on it after watching video this past off season. 

You always hope that people can identify one relatively simple change to "fix" a player. I'm a skeptic, but I also think Castro has some real natural ability, so hopefully he can make mechanical changes to become what I hope he can be. I really like that arm. Unfortunately, I don't love the probabilities. 

Throwing 100 MPH isn’t a skill so much as an inborn ability. Lots of folks have unusual abilities, but the skill is in developing it. I don’t know Castro’s problem, nor the solution, but that solution is necessary or he’s another Jason Garcia.

With that in mind, I’d like to send him down and bring someone else up. I don’t know whether the coaches at Norfolk are any better than here( maybe he has access to all of them?) but he’s doing badly enough here, there’s no reason not to call up someone else.

• 3 weeks later...

o

MIGUEL ANGEL CASTRO

(APRIL 26th Through MAY 10th)

GM: llllllllllllllllll 6

IP: llllllllllllll 7.33

H: lllllllllllllllllllll 5

BB: llllllllllllllllll 2

SO: lllllllllllllllllll 9

ERA: lllllllllllll 0.00

WHIP: llllllllll 0.955

BA: llllllllllllll .192

OBP: llllllllllllllll .241

OPS: lllllllllllllllll .472

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=castrmi01&t=p&year=2019

o

• 4 weeks later...

o

Castro has had 4 consecutive scoreless outings.

His overall numbers for the season are still ballooned (5.57 ERA, and 1.423 WHIP.)

MIGUEL ANGEL CASTRO

(MAY 28th Through JUNE 6th)

GM: llllllllllllllllll 4

IP: lllllllllllllllll  8

H: lllllllllllllllllllll 3

BB: llllllllllllllllll 3

SO: lllllllllllllllllll 7

ERA: lllllllllllll 0.00

WHIP: llllllllll 0.750

BA: llllllllllllll .120

OBP: llllllllllllllll .207

OPS: lllllllllllllllll .407