Could Manny Machado Leave For The Yankees?

PressBoxOnline

I agree with enjoying the season and not being concerned about this right now, but saying that, this will all come down to one thing. 

Does Manny Machado want to leave a legacy behind, or does he want to make the most money possible? Machado can sign a 10-year contract wit the Orioles for 30 million a season and be set for life while also having a chance to go down in history as the greatest player ever for an organization. Or, he can become a free agent, go to the highest bidder (which will probably be the Yankees, but could possible be the Marlins or Dodgers), and just become another mercenary who played the game for the highest bidder. Only Manny can make the decision on whether signing the highest contract ever (most likely) is worth more to him than becoming an icon in a city and for a franchise.

He is clearly the most important player to this franchise and the one player the organization can't afford to lose for no other reason than he is the kind of player that people actually will want to pay to see. I certainly hope Manny chooses to leave behind a legacy, but it will remain to be seen whether that will happen or not.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree with enjoying the season and not being concerned about this right now, but saying that, this will all come down to one thing. 

Does Manny Machado want to leave a legacy behind, or does he want to make the most money possible? Machado can sign a 10-year contract wit the Orioles for 30 million a season and be set for life while also having a chance to go down in history as the greatest player ever for an organization. Or, he can become a free agent, go to the highest bidder (which will probably be the Yankees), and just become another mercenary who played the game for the highest bidder. Only Manny can make the decision on whether signing the highest contract ever (most likely) is worth more to him than becoming an icon in a city and for a franchise.

He is clearly the most important player to this franchise and the one player the organization can't afford to lose for no other reason than he is the kind of player that people actually will want to pay to see. I certainly hope Manny chooses to leave behind a legacy, but it will remain to be seen whether that will happen or not.

I would love for him to sign a deal to stay in Baltimore for at least the next four seasons. Give him four player options after that. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It would be hypocritical of me to respond after just saying I didn't even want to get into it.    So I won't.

Just now, 24fps said:

So now the "Manny to the Yankees" watch is roughly the same length as the news cycle for a presidential election.

Great.  Just great.  

I don't get the fascination with the Yankees.

I just don't.

They are not who they were the won't be again. (That isn't to say that they won't be a good team in a couple years)

Too many teams have massive revenue streams for the Yankees to just go into the offseason and buy all the top free agents.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

So now the "Manny to the Yankees" watch is roughly the same length as the news cycle for a presidential election.

Great.  Just great.  

Hopefully the Orioles will engage in extension talks with his agent and get this done, because I agree, the closer it gets, the more of a distraction it becomes. I mean, who wants to go buy a #120 Machado jersey that might be worthless in two years?

Besides, if there is no movement and it's clear he's interested in the bottom dollar, then they know they may have to consider moving him at the trade deadline this year if they are out of contention.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't either.  I've been saying the Marlins for years.

Could they really swing $60-70M/year for Stanton and Machado?  I guess they'd be going all in on Machado sparking the franchise and boo$ting revenues??? 

13 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Yeah, and who knows how long that will drag out? 

What's the longest a team has been on the market in recent history?

Seems to me that their is a line of groups going around the corner to buy into MLB ownership.

It's pretty insanely profitable.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

What's the longest a team has been on the market in recent history?

Seems to me that their is a line of groups going around the corner to buy into MLB ownership.

It's pretty insanely profitable.

Really depends on the team, honestly. But new ownership might want to slash payroll, only time will tell what they want to do. 

Just now, CP0861 said:

Could they really swing $60-70M/year for Stanton and Machado?  I guess they'd be going all in on Machado sparking the franchise and boo$ting revenues??? 

Still a pretty fair chance Stanton opts out and of course they can go 60M every team can.  Just look at how much teams make off of the MLBAM sale to Disney last year.

Archived