Could Manny Machado Leave For The Yankees?

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dan-O said:

I'm not sure anyone here really disagrees with that. Whenever PressBox makes a thread, they either garner no traffic or are unpopular because they are bad, and the OH can, frankly, do a hell of a lot better.

What is your issue with Press Box? You seems to have a vendetta against them or something. You are free to have any opinion you want of course, but you have a very aggressive tone whenever they come up like they kicked your dog or something. Actually, they have garnered plenty of discussion around here, but feel free to just ignore them when they post something instead of trashing their content.

BTW, I read the NY Post article and I'm really quite surprised by his comments. Really poor form for him to even discuss that. He plays for the Orioles. Just an awful answer to an obvious set up question by a Yankees reporter. Manny is great but still needs to mature because answers like that are just awful for baseball. No one should be talking about potentially being on another team while still employed by another.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

BTW, I read the NY Post article and I'm really quite surprised by his comments. Really poor form for him to even discuss that. He plays for the Orioles. Just an awful answer to an obvious set up question by a Yankees reporter. Manny is great but still needs to mature because answers like that are just awful for baseball. No one should be talking about potentially being on another team while still employed by another.

I agree.    Not going to freak out about it, but I didn't think he handled it well.    

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

For what, the next 45 minutes?  Pablo is spherical and injury-prone, and in his last full season was a -11 defender.  Hanley has played four innings at third base since the start of the 2013 season.  Is there any reason to think he could play a passable third base?  Both are six or seven years older than Manny.

And Justin Turner?  Really?  "Yea, we coulda had Cal Ripken in his prime, but we were already set at third with Steve Buechele so we passed."

Good points. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He should have just answered it with a "I'm an Oriole and that's my focus". I love Manny the player, but I've never been a fan of his attitude or ego I guess is bis a better term.

I personally think the NY media would eat him alive and he'd struggle in NY.

16 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

For what, the next 45 minutes?  Pablo is spherical and injury-prone, and in his last full season was a -11 defender.  Hanley has played four innings at third base since the start of the 2013 season.  Is there any reason to think he could play a passable third base?  Both are six or seven years older than Manny.

And Justin Turner?  Really?  "Yea, we coulda had Cal Ripken in his prime, but we were already set at third with Steve Buechele so we passed."

Spherical needs to be used as an adjective more often, hahaha. 

Also, I get your point, but Turner has turned out to be a much better player than I thought he ever would. I'd love to have him back.

Now I've got to get off my spherical rear end and go fishing. The Mattawoman is jumping right now. 

18 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

He should have just answered it with a "I'm an Oriole and that's my focus". I love Manny the player, but I've never been a fan of his attitude or ego I guess is bis a better term.

I personally think the NY media would eat him alive and he'd struggle in NY.

No way.  This kid is a star.  He feeds off it.  Look at the WBC.  He loves it.  He gon'!

I want an honest opinion. I really want Manny to be Oriole for a long time, but I must say, IMO, he is not worth $30M per a year. I just don't see it. He's an exceptional defensive player, offensively he's very good. 

I know he's still young, but a 284 career avg just doesn't scream $30M per to me. I believe it will take at least $30M to start the negotiations.

29 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I want an honest opinion. I really want Manny to be Oriole for a long time, but I must say, IMO, he is not worth $30M per a year. I just don't see it. He's an exceptional defensive player, offensively he's very good. 

I know he's still young, but a 284 career avg just doesn't scream $30M per to me. I believe it will take at least $30M to start the negotiations.

If you're using batting average you limit the scope of your analysis to hits only.

Using wOBA and wRC is a better way of evaluating players. League average for wOBA is around .322 and Machado is .348 (career), while 100 wRC is average and he's 118 for his career.

Contextually, Harper is .370 and Trout .409 wOBA and 140 and 168 wRC for them respectively.

31 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I never said he was avg, but even with those numbers, I don't see a $30M per player.

I was giving you averages for those specific metrics, not calling you out. FWIW, I don't disagree but often FA contracts are determined by the market at a certain level. If he has two or three teams vying for his services it could go higher than $30 mil per.

Archived