Trade Kim and replace him with Mancini

Diehard_O's_Fan

17 minutes ago, crawjo said:

IMO, Buck's fondness for Rickard is unhealthy. He's not that great a hitter, and he's not that great a defender. He's also not that great a baserunner. I think Gentry is the better player, and I think Kim is the better hitter. I don't think Rickard really has that much potential, to be honest. But I could be wrong. 

He's a better bat against LHP (.822 OPS) which makes sense for what we use him.  Like three days ago people were ready to run Gentry out of town too.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I like Joey but he's the odd man out right now and he can go to Norfolk, get everyday AB's and hopefully tear it up and wait for his opportunity.   Gentry is a better defender and runner and Mancini needs a spot.     If Gentry doesn't hit or someone gets hurt, then Joey gets another chance.   OR if Kim winds up in another city at some point, which your fearless prognosticator has already mentioned days before.

I think they send Joey to Norfolk until/if Mancini's bat cools when the league catches up to him, and then they bring him up again.

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I like Joey but he's the odd man out right now and he can go to Norfolk, get everyday AB's and hopefully tear it up and wait for his opportunity.   Gentry is a better defender and runner and Mancini needs a spot.     If Gentry doesn't hit or someone gets hurt, then Joey gets another chance.   OR if Kim winds up in another city at some point, which your fearless prognosticator has already mentioned days before.

Many times, it's best not to get hurt when you are in slots 23, 24, or 25.

Just now, RZNJ said:

No one expects Mancini to keep up his current pace but he just needs to be steady to stay up on the team.   If you are predicting a total collapse, I disagree and hope you are wrong.   Trey has a good all fields approach and the bat speed to hit the fastball.    I'm sure like any hitter, he's succeptible to the offspeed stuff but he doesn't have a big long swing.    I think he'll be okay.

Where do you see a pridiction for Mancini's bat?  They usually get a book on a new player and he has to adjust. We'll see with Mancini. If his bat cools as much as Joey's did last season then I think they send him down because that's all he has to contribute.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Is there some way they could juggle ptchers on the shuttle? Two days off left this month.

I think they will try this for awhile. After Saturday they don't need a 5th starter again for 10 days. If Asher gets sent down after Saturday they would have to use someone else the next 5th start but anything can happen over 10 days like another DL move. The next question is whether or not they will call Joey back the day he can come off the DL, having another bench player in Cincy would be useful. They could roll the dice for a couple of days with a 6 man pen. Not ideal but not impossible. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Didn't see the IF in your original statement  "I think they send Joey to Norfolk until/if Mancini's bat cools when the league catches up to him"

At first your sentence read as if Mancini getting sent down would be inevitable.   If you didn't mean it that way, no harm, no foul.

If I thought it was inevitable I would have said that. My jury is out on hm.

I will tell  you who the winner out of all these players.  Its the Orioles.  They have power and speed. Youth and experience.  It true for the position player and the pitchers.  One gets hurt or doesn't perform there is some one else behind them.   We haven't seem this much depth in a long time.

On April 13, 2017 at 2:07 PM, OFFNY said:

o

No you don't, but if you would like to make an issue of it, that would be fine.

If my citing the number of pitches per inning (which is something that you cannot get from ESPN or baseball reference) is a problem for the board at large, we can look into rectifying that problem.

o

I find your posting of the number of pitches per inning helpful. Thanks for doing it.

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

He's a better bat against LHP (.822 OPS) which makes sense for what we use him.  Like three days ago people were ready to run Gentry out of town too.

I'm not basing it on anything Gentry has done recently. I just think he's the better overall player. I'd be surprised if Rickard put up an .822 OPS again against LHP. 

On 4/13/2017 at 11:47 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

In the minors Mancini averaged 13 homers per 500 PAs.  He has some power, sure.  But is it going to translate to production in the majors alongside his Adam Jones walk rate (33 per 500 PA in the minors)?

Mancini averaged 14.6 HRs per 500 ABs across all levels. His past two season he has hit 20+ across two levels in the minors -- a rate of 17.3 HR/500. And that includes Norfolk last year -- a ballpark that seems to suppress power and overall offensive production.

Kirby Puckett averaged 6.5 HR/500 in the minors. He went on to hit over 200 HRs in his career for a 14.3 HR/500 rate. That's more than double his minor league rate. Sometimes the power increases as players mature.

Not to belabor the "comparison," but Puckett walked at a Jones/Mancini rate in the majors just as he did in the minors. I don't expect Mancini's BB rate to improve but I think the HR rate will improve from his minors stats.

Archived