Trade Kim and replace him with Mancini

Diehard_O's_Fan

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That's just a dumb blanket statement to make.   Obviously it depends on a lot of variables.    

And that's pure baloney. We lead the league in HR and are last in OBP what's not to see? What variables?:rolleyes:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I never tried to make it look like that was Kim's OBP for the entire year. Any fool can look it up.    

o

There is no reason for you to be so lazy as to not cite what you meant

Yes, any fool can look up Kim's numbers, but since you were the one that was making a point about Kim's OBP, it would be nice for you to cite the information of your point in its proper context. Any fool can do that, also.

o

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

And that's pure baloney. We lead the league in HR and are last in OBP what's not to see? What variables?:rolleyes:

There's always a tradeoff between power and OBP.    You wouldn't trade 150 points of slugging for 20 points of OBP, for example.    And then there's the defensive side of the equation.   

It's going to take a while to see how well either of these guys plays this year.     I don't see the point in getting all hot and bothered about it a week and a half into the season.   

It was already cited.   Must every reference afterward also remark that it was his second half OPS?    I suppose the answer is yes.   Do I complain about your balls and strikes per inning posts garbling up otherwise fine threads?

o

No you don't, but if you would like to make an issue of it, that would be fine.

If my citing the number of pitches per inning (which is something that you cannot get from ESPN or baseball reference) is a problem for the board at large, we can look into rectifying that problem.

o

Just now, RZNJ said:

"A solid average hitter, maybe a tick above."   A tick above would be plus but whatever.    I wouldn't call him a contact hitter either.   In fact, no one did say it.

No, a tick above would be above average, not plus. His 50 overall hitting grade is average. His 55 power grade is above average. Chance Sisco's 60 hitting grade is plus.

Here's something from Fangraphs that explains the scouting grades used by most clubs (including a handy chart that explains that Mancini's 50 hitting grade translates to a .260 projection and his 55 power grade to 19-22 home runs).

Scouting Explained: The Mysterious Hit Tool, Pt. 4

Do whatever makes you happy.   I like talking baseball.   You like counting the balls and strikes per inning and posting them on the board.   Any you apparently like skipping 3 pages of posts, reading the last page and then complaining about a poster not keeping you up to date on the context of the latter posts.

o

No, I like reading a point that is being made in its proper context. Sometimes I read each and every post in a thread, and sometimes I don't.  I'm sure that there are at least a few others who do not always read every post in a thread, partciualry ones that span more than 5 or 6 pages.

o

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ha.   Partial.   Stick to what you know.  Counting balls and strikes.   The really tough stuff.

o

Ha. I'll stick to what I know. Saying what I mean in its proper context, even if it means adding a few extra words to my comment, if that's what it takes. The really tough stuff.

o

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

Lazy is continually citing a player's OBP for a patrtial season without saying so, which is what you did. 

Honestly, I don't agree with you.    It was certainly clear to me in the context of this thread what RZNJ was referring to.    In any event it's simply not worth continuing to argue about.    The underlying point was, RZNJ believes Kim's 2017 performance is more likely to look like the second half of 2016 rather than the full year 2016, because the league has adjusted to him.     That's a reasonable point of view, and we'll see if he's correct.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I don't agree with you.    It was certainly clear to me in the context of this thread what RZNJ was referring to.    In any event it's simply not worth continuing to argue about.    The underlying point was, RZNJ believes Kim's 2017 performance is more likely to look like the second half of 2016 rather than the full year 2016, because the league has adjusted to him.     That's a reasonable point of view, and we'll see if he's correct.  

o

Well if that's the case, then I'm sorry for my complaints on the matter.

o

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There's always a tradeoff between power and OBP.    You wouldn't trade 150 points of slugging for 20 points of OBP, for example.    And then there's the defensive side of the equation.   

It's going to take a while to see how well either of these guys plays this year.     I don't see the point in getting all hot and bothered about it a week and a half into the season.   

As I said I think defense is a wash between the two, And on a club with two situational hitters who get on base v 6 guys who hit HR I think we could use another situational hitter who can get on base. That doesn't mean there's not a place for Mancini on the club, but to trade Kim now is absurd. When Mancini turns into another all around good hitter then we can think about it.

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

As I said I think defense is a wash between the two, And on a club with two situational hitters who get on base v 6 guys who hit HR I think we could use another situational hitter who can get on base. That doesn't mean there's not a place for Mancini on the club, but to trade Kim now is absurd. When Mancini turns into another all around good hitter then we can think about it.

So do you advocate sending Mancini to the minors, either when Asher is activated or Rickard is ready to come off the DL?   

I have to admit, Mancini intrigues me.     He may hit for a better average than some of the pundits expect.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So do you advocate sending Mancini to the minors, either when Asher is activated or Rickard is ready to come off the DL?   

I have to admit, Mancini intrigues me.     He may hit for a better average than some of the pundits expect.   

I certainly don't advocate trading or DFA Kim to make room for him. I would like to see him stick. But If moving one of our OF is the only choice(is it?) then Mancini to Norfolk to work on his defense is the best option. We can see what Joey and Gentry do going forward and bring up Mancini when one or both don't hit, or sombody gets injured.

3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I certainly don't advocate trading or DFA Kim to make room for him. I would like to see him stick. But If moving one of our OF is the only choice(is it?) then Mancini to Norfolk to work on his defense is the best option. We can see what Joey and Gentry do going forward and bring up Mancini when one or both don't hit, or sombody geys injured.

If Mancini keeps hitting HR's there is no chance of him being sent down. Someone else will be riding the Norfolk shuttle or someone gets Dfa'd

Archived