Palmer said Bundy had shoulder stiffness in his last start

Dark Helmet

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Take him out after five and wrap him in bubble tape.  Win rule.  Bullpen be damned.

Bundy and Harvey were the 3 IP start kings in the minors. Both had TJ. We tried everything to protect them and they still got hurt. Let the guy throw. 

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

I'd Britton is healthy and effective.

Of course. 

Bottom line is we have seen the ripple effect of not having him lately. Buck is trying not to use his big arms up 7 and 5 late. With Zach back that deepens the pen by one. It seeems like it can be overrated but it isn't. 

Buck's stubborn handling of Bundy and his refusal to limit him at all is extremely frustrating.

Anyone with eyeballs was able to see he wore down at the end of last year and he didn't even start 1/3 of the year.

Now not only is he starting but Buck pushes him in terrible conditions for no other reason than to try and show he's the smartest guy in the room.

There is NO OTHER REASON than just trying to prove you know best for running him back out there in that exact situation tonight.

Not happy at all with Buck right now, he should be smarter than this as experienced as he is.

Watching the rash of pitching injuries over the last couple seasons has apparently taught him nothing.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Buck clearly wants Bundy to take one more step and be a guy who can dominate for 115 pitches.    He's pushing him.   Personally I think he should be content with 95-100 quality pitches for now.  

I also think he was looking at a streached thin pen, and thought Bundy looked strong enough to give him the extra inning with a 5 R lead. Who is that guy you want warming up? Remember we have Asher starting tomorrow and Brach just pitched his 4th G in a row.

Bundy looked fine going into the 8th. I had no problem with it. 

And to correct the topic of the post, Palmer later said it was a tight lat. Following him since the draft, he is a workout maniac and sometimes you get tight muscles. 

And quit whining about protecting him.  He is the healthiest he has been since the season he was drafted.  He is now what I have said all along he will be when if got healthy. 

Buck is doing this to benefit Bundy and the relievers later in the season.  His thinking is that stretching him out now will help allow Bundy to go deeper into games as the season progresses.  Is he right?  My feeling is that when he gave up the second base-runner in the 8th, that's when you pull him, because at that point - the pitching becomes more stressful.  When each pitch has to be right, that adds stress.    

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Somebody tell Buck that batters are now batting .556 (5-for-9) with a BB from 101 pitches on against Bundy. I can't believe he keeps running him out there until he's totally exhausted every start. Before this season, Bundy had never thrown more than 99 pitches on a professional game. This season he's thrown 99 pitches or more in every start. If Bundy is still effective by August I'l be surprised. Buck is intent on running him into the ground.

Hardy should have caught the pop up. It was 5-0 and the bullpen was relatively spent.   I have no problem with him sending him out with a quick leash.  It's a teaching thing for Buck. 

4 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I also think he was looking at a streached thin pen, and thought Bundy looked strong enough to give him the extra inning with a 5 R lead. Who is that guy you want warming up? Remember we have Asher starting tomorrow and Brach just pitched his 4th G in a row.

This is not true.  Brach has had days off.  Just look at his game log.

http://m.mlb.com/player/542960/brad-brach?year=2017&stats=gamelogs-r-pitching-mlb

8 hours ago, backwardsk said:

I wouldn't have started him.  Too cold.  Skip him.  It's only Boston.

Who said that? Just don't complain when Bundy has to be shut down with 6 weeks to go. I mean, who needs your best pitcher around.

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Can anyone point to O's pitchers that have had injuries because they were overused by Buck?

It's more about trying to keep him around as long as you can this year. But, maybe Bundy won't be on an innings limit. He's on pace to throw a 100 innings more than last year. They usually don't want to go more than 30-40.

4 hours ago, sevastras said:

Bundy looked fine going into the 8th. I had no problem with it. 

And to correct the topic of the post, Palmer later said it was a tight lat. Following him since the draft, he is a workout maniac and sometimes you get tight muscles. 

And quit whining about protecting him.  He is the healthiest he has been since the season he was drafted.  He is now what I have said all along he will be when if got healthy. 

He is not the pitcher I expected to see after watching his first game with Delmarva years ago; he is something different and probably better over the long haul. He clearly is not throwing as hard as he did then. I don't know whether he can't or chooses not to cause he is healthy enough to throw his much more refined secondaries. Whichever, let's hope he  short -circuited the decline to inconsistency suffered by guys like Ubaldo and Gallardo when they lost heat. So far, so good. 

Archived