O's Should Look Into One Of The Dodgers Starters

Matt Bennett

1. Clayton Kershaw- 4 years/$132M (2017-20) remaining- not going anywhere for obvious reasons

2. Kenta Maeda- 7 years/$25M (2017-23) remaining- not going anywhere because that is a bargain of a contract

3. Brandon McCarthy- 2 years/$20M (2017-18) remaining

4. Alex Wood- making $2.8M/arbitration eligible after 2017 season (free agent after 2019 season)

5. Julio Urias- making $0.54M/arbitration eligible after 2019 season (free agent after 2022 season)- not going anywhere for obvious reasons

6. Rich Hill- 3 years/$48M (2017-19)- not going anywhere because that's a newly signed contract

7. Hyun-Jin Ryu- 2 years/$14M (2017-18) remaining

8. Scott Kazmir- 2 years/$32M (2017-18) remaining

9. Ross Stripling- making $0.54M/arbitration eligible after 2019 season (free agent after 2022 season)

Maybe I'm a little bit too into fantasy baseball mode right now, but I see a possibility here. The Orioles currently rank 21st in starting pitcher's ERA at 4.18. Asher pitched to a 4.5 ERA tonight that is not counted. That is with Dylan Bundy and Wade Miley clearly pitching above themselves, albeit with Gausman clearly pitching below himself. Tillman is coming back but shoulder injuries scare me. And it's hard to imagine Ublado staying in the rotation a whole lot longer. After that, Asher is the only one of the loads of AAAA guys that is pitching like he wants to be with the big league club.

I understand the Dodgers project to be one of the better teams in baseball this year and that they have loads of money. But their roster is not flawless and they might want to unload a little bit of cash to say acquire an outfielder. Who really needs an 8th and 9th starter anyway? Scott Kazmir seems to me like the best choice for us. We could eat some of that contract and plug a whole for next year as well. Remember Tillman and Ubaldo are FA's. Possibly Miley too if he doesn't pitch well enough for the team to exercise his option. Not too many SP prospects banging on the door either.

Just some late night thoughts.

We certainly could use any of those guys, the only question is who would the Dodgers want in return?

I doubt they give any of them up for salary relief because they are loaded and don't care about that so who would we be able to give them back and at that point, would it even be worth it?

The Orioles are not going to trade for a "name" pitcher this early in the season IMO. Plus teams will have to bid against the Mets. I think any team with a decent pitcher to trade is drooling over the Mets situation right now. 

8 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

1. Clayton Kershaw- 4 years/$132M (2017-20) remaining- not going anywhere for obvious reasons

2. Kenta Maeda- 7 years/$25M (2017-23) remaining- not going anywhere because that is a bargain of a contract

4. Alex Wood- making $2.8M/arbitration eligible after 2017 season (free agent after 2019 season)

5. Julio Urias- making $0.54M/arbitration eligible after 2019 season (free agent after 2022 season)- not going anywhere for obvious reasons

6. Rich Hill- 3 years/$48M (2017-19)- not going anywhere because that's a newly signed contract

9. Ross Stripling- making $0.54M/arbitration eligible after 2019 season (free agent after 2022 season)

Maybe I'm a little bit too into fantasy baseball mode right now, but I see a possibility here. The Orioles currently rank 21st in starting pitcher's ERA at 4.18. Asher pitched to a 4.5 ERA tonight that is not counted. That is with Dylan Bundy and Wade Miley clearly pitching above themselves, albeit with Gausman clearly pitching below himself. Tillman is coming back but shoulder injuries scare me. And it's hard to imagine Ublado staying in the rotation a whole lot longer. After that, Asher is the only one of the loads of AAAA guys that is pitching like he wants to be with the big league club.

I understand the Dodgers project to be one of the better teams in baseball this year and that they have loads of money. But their roster is not flawless and they might want to unload a little bit of cash to say acquire an outfielder. Who really needs an 8th and 9th starter anyway? Scott Kazmir seems to me like the best choice for us. We could eat some of that contract and plug a whole for next year as well. Remember Tillman and Ubaldo are FA's. Possibly Miley too if he doesn't pitch well enough for the team to exercise his option. Not too many SP prospects banging on the door either.

The owner would never go for that. 

9 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

Ryu is DLd. Again 

The problem is that the Dodgers are also loaded with offensive prospects. The only thing I see enticing them (somewhat) is if we offered them Schoop, because I don't think they're entirely happy with Forsythe/Utley. But trading Schoop doesn't help us. 

It's a shame the Dodger's were able to sign Jansen in the off season. If they hadn't then we probably could have landed of few of their top prospects for Britton. 

Archived