Cubs blow it in extras

Uli2001

21 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

I don't believe in jinxes, but if I did, sorry. I think it had more to do with the Cubs going back to being losers than anything else. Last year must have been a cosmic warp or something.

They won 97 games and went to the NLCS in 2015, but nice try.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we are just going to have to face it that the Yankees are going to be an overachieving juggernaut that keeps winning miraculous games (including against us) and with the national media hype machine behind them, all year long. I feel very fortunate that we are only a half game back. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think we are just going to have to face it that the Yankees are going to be an overachieving juggernaut that keeps winning miraculous games (including against us) and with the national media hype machine behind them, all year long. I feel very fortunate that we are only a half game back. 

Everything balances. The Yanks will almost assuredly remain in the East race all year, but the young bats are going to have their growing pains, in time.

17 minutes ago, esmd said:

Headline on ESPN home page right now:  "These Yankees and Cubs are destined to meet in a World Series"

As Bill Walton once said, "Gag me with a spoon!"

Wishful thinking by headline-starved reporters. (They salivate at the media frenzy during such a WS.)

16 minutes ago, esmd said:

Headline on ESPN home page right now:  "These Yankees and Cubs are destined to meet in a World Series"

Well, after all the firings the only people left to write headlines must be the interns.  Unsurprisingly it looks like they've already been infected with the ESPN worldview.

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

The Yanks are hitting. From top to bottom. Hard to beat that.

They didn't hit much for nine extra innings yesterday, but I get your point. They are hot right now but will cool down. There is a difference between good and hot, and I would say they are more hot than good.

1 hour ago, Uli2001 said:

I don't believe in jinxes, but if I did, sorry. I think it had more to do with the Cubs going back to being losers than anything else. Last year must have been a cosmic warp or something.

Actually, I remember now, it was indeed a cosmic warp. They were facing Cleveland. The immovable object against the irresistible force when it comes to losing.

3 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

It's cool man, neither do I.  It was said in jest.  The closest I ever got to believe in jinxs was from 2012-2014 during the epic Firestone era.  It was kind of freaky to be honest, like it almost felt like Roy was a time traveler.

2 hours ago, esmd said:

Funny I seem to remember them asking if Boston and the Cubs were destined to meet in the World Series last year when both were tearing it up.  They bet the wrong horse on that one.

Archived