Does Dan Panic and Rush An Arm?

Can_of_corn

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking Dan will wait this one out.

We still have $25 million committed to O'Day. The O's are all-in on a turnaround whether they like it or not, and I think he can do it.

Asher and Bleier have both shown promise and it's not unreasonable to expect at least one of them emerges as a reliable arm.

The optionable arms strategy for the final spot or two has been effective and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the higher ceiling guys (Lee, Meisinger, Castro) eventually worked into this, perhaps very soon.

The rotation is more of a concern, but Gausman is the future and we are still winning when Jimenez starts.

If there is a trade, I could see Sisco being shipped out to a team like the Padres or A's. With our standards on defense, he is not a realistic catcher possibility and I'm afraid he basically amounts to Kim v. 2.0 if he needs to move to the OF. He probably offers a great deal more value to another team than to us.

I think they still have some options before rushing a young arm up. Bring Verrett up as soon as he is eligible, and figure a way to add Edwin Jackson to the roster as well.

I hope Asher and Ynoa can settle in and start regularly at AA or AAA, because I can't see Miley lasting much longer with all of the walks. Obviously there are other question marks with the rotation, but the rest have some hope. Miley is making Ubaldo look pitch efficent at this point.

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If any pitcher gets called up, I think it will be Jimmy Yacabonis.  He has been lights out at Norfolk.  His low strikeout total is a concern this year, but he has averaged a strikeout an inning prior to 2017.

Yacabonis would also necessitate a 40 man roster move. 

Either Yac or Ryan Meisenger would be my choice.  Ryan has an 0.90 WHIP in Bowie and a career 0.99 WHIP.  He's 23 and seems mature.  They picked him - a college kid - so he could pass through the system fast, and he's consistent.  Career - 150 SO's in 118.1 innings.  31 walks.  This is why they drafted him.    

Cleavinger would be another option, but he's been up and down at Bowie and just has lacked the consistency that  Meisenger has shown.  162 game season... consistently good beats spectacular one day and lacking command the next.  

54 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Paraphrasing Dusty Baker on whether Washington was looking for a closer "No one is trading right now, we've asked."

Yeah, the Mets have major bullpen and pitching issues right now and the best they could come up with was picking up a guy who had been DFA'd by the Giants after putting up an 8+ ERA.

Archived