Instant replay cameras

paulcoates

I have now seen several  games where common sense tells the wrong call was made only to have the call upheld.  What is preventing the Oriole's from installing cameras in strategic locations around with high frames per second rates to eliminate this?  At some point, the lack of quality camera angles is going to prevent the Orioles from winning games that knock them out of the playoff race come the end of the year.  Why not try to bring in the same technology that tennis uses to determine if a ball is in/out?  A laser system? Cameras placed on the foul poles?  

And for something really simple tonight, it either hit the white line or it didn't (it didn't - quite foul), it took *forever* to review that simple call. And yet, they ...

Got. It. Wrong. Again.

I'm calling shenanigans on the NY crew.

I wonder if they get overwhelmed in NY by multiple challenges coming it at the same time, or something. I can't think of anything else that would explain how this happens so often.

Maybe the MLB should add a replay official to each umpiring crew, and put him in the press box with a huge monitor with easy access to every stream in the park.

They'll probably just go to online voting instead.

Last night's call was awful, but the replays were far from ideal. The ball seemed to "outrun" the camera, and I can see why the call wasn't overturned in the end.

I wonder what the feed looked like on Minnesota's broadcast? Typically opposing teams have their own cameras and angles that use. When the O's challenge, are both feeds accessible? Or can each team only use the angles they are personally responsible for? I've always wondered that.

1 hour ago, ChinMusic said:

Last night's call was awful, but the replays were far from ideal. The ball seemed to "outrun" the camera, and I can see why the call wasn't overturned in the end.

I wonder what the feed looked like on Minnesota's broadcast? Typically opposing teams have their own cameras and angles that use. When the O's challenge, are both feeds accessible? Or can each team only use the angles they are personally responsible for? I've always wondered that.

I may go to the MLB-TV replay of the game and see what the Twins broadcast shows, and their reaction to it. 

19 hours ago, paulcoates said:

I have now seen several  games where common sense tells the wrong call was made only to have the call upheld.  What is preventing the Oriole's from installing cameras in strategic locations around with high frames per second rates to eliminate this?  At some point, the lack of quality camera angles is going to prevent the Orioles from winning games that knock them out of the playoff race come the end of the year.  Why not try to bring in the same technology that tennis uses to determine if a ball is in/out?  A laser system? Cameras placed on the foul poles?  

Why? The O's have won many games over the years without cameras. I hate to see technology used in any way in a baseball game to try to aid an umpire. It  will slow up the game. Then what's next? Make baseball games have time limits like football? Leave the game alone. It's the best game in the world. Funny how teams were able to win championships without using lasers and cameras. 

17 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Why? The O's have won many games over the years without cameras. I hate to see technology used in any way in a baseball game to try to aid an umpire. It  will slow up the game. Then what's next? Make baseball games have time limits like football? Leave the game alone. It's the best game in the world. Funny how teams were able to win championships without using lasers and cameras. 

I am not  that much of a traditionalist (I like retractable roofs and night games...and bobble heads), but replay is highly annoying to me.  I think the idea that it gets you closer to the truth is vastly overrated.  For the sake of avoiding the rare obviously blown call that would have turned the tide of history were it in not for replay,  the entire game is put on hiatus.  Nearly every single close, exciting play now has to await a verdict from on high.  Did that amazing double play that got us out of that insane jam actually happen?  I have to wait 3 minutes to find out.  Plus, as we saw last night, more often than not the replay verdict is just as debatable as the original call. 

for fair and foul balls, something like a laser would actually make the game return to action quicker since you wouldn't need to review several camera angles. By the time the umps put the headset on, they would have the answer

Archived