18 O's players eligible for the Rule 5 draft ....

wildcard

if not placed on the major league roster this off season.   Its a pretty high number.

Norfolk

Yaz, Dosch, Sisco, Yacabonis, Kipper

Bowie

Wynns, Salcedo, A Rodriguez, Marin, Barker, Hess, Means, Scott, Long. Grimes

Frederick

Wilkerson, Hart, Rifaela

And that does not count Mullins who could be added later this season on performance.

3 minutes ago, Crazysilver03 said:

How would you rank them in importance of protection? I no longer pay attention to the minors so I only recognize a few of these names. 

Sisco, Scott and Mullins (if he keeps up his good work once he comes off the DL would be the no brainers. 

Yacabonis, Kipper, Wynns, Rodriguez, Salcedo and maybe Marin/Long are probably the next tier.

And then there's the rest. 

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

if not placed on the major league roster this off season.   Its a pretty high number.

Norfolk

Yaz, Dosch, Sisco, Yacabonis, Kipper

Bowie

Wynns, Salcedo, A Rodriguez, Marin, Braker, Hess, Means, Scott, Long. Grimes

Frederick

Wilkerson, Hart, Rifaela

And that does not count Mullins who could be added later this season on preformance.

I don't see them burning a 40 man slot for Mullins.

27 minutes ago, Crazysilver03 said:

How would you rank them in importance of protection? I no longer pay attention to the minors so I only recognize a few of these names. 

Rather than me ranking them here is how the O's rank them.

Sisco #1prospect

Scott #10

Clevenger #13

Means #24

Hess #27

Yacabonis #29

Notes: Kipper just joined the O's

Wynns is having a big year offensively and is considered a really good defensive catcher.

Josh Hart is a 22 year old #1 draft choice that has a 900 OPS in limited play at Frederick.  

Mullins is ranked #17.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see them burning a 40 man slot for Mullins.

If Mullins comes off the DL and starts hitting like he did before he was injured he has a chance to be up this year.  Especially if Rickard dos not hit any better that he has been. Rickard's option looms large if he does not hit.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

If Mullins comes off the DL and starts hitting like he did before he was injury he has a chance to be up this year.  Especially if Rickard dos not hit any better that he has been. Rickard's option looms large if he does not hit.

I understand the various scenarios.  I just don't think they will do it.  Wasn't stating it as a fact.

Is Mullins actually eligible based on years of service?

Dosch is a good third baseman, Wynns has good defense and has gotten better this year offensively. Marin has had a big bounce back with the bat. There is a chance for all 3 if they keep going the way they have this season. I don't want to see ant of them taken, but it's possible.

Yacabonis could be in the 40 before the end of the season. He only just recently allowed his first run of the season and, with pitchers dropping like flies, could be "next man up."

Yaz got a late start due to off season surgery and rehab, but has been doing really good. Depending what happens this season and injuries, there might be a spot for him in September. 

Wilkerson has only played a few games above Fredrick, so I wouldn't expect him to go. He's good though, but don't Rule 5 worthy.

Salcedo is good, but I don't see a team using a spot on him, same with Rodriguez, who has defensive issues.

Sisco and Scott are probably 40 spots. Though Sisco might not have many takers if he doesn't pick up his batting again and if his defense stays the way it is.

Everyone else, I wouldn't be worried about.

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Is Mullins actually eligible based on years of service?

Dosch is a good third baseman, Wynns has good defense and has gotten better this year offensively. Marin has had a big bounce back with the bat. There is a chance for all 3 if they keep going the way they have this season. I don't want to see ant of them taken, but it's possible.

Yacabonis could be in the 40 before the end of the season. He only just recently allowed his first run of the season and, with pitchers dropping like flies, could be "next man up."

Yaz got a late start due to off season surgery and rehab, but has been doing really good. Depending what happens this season and injuries, there might be a spot for him in September. 

Wilkerson has only played a few games above Fredrick, so I wouldn't expect him to go. He's good though, but don't Rule 5 worthy.

Salcedo is good, but I don't see a team using a spot on him, same with Rodriguez, who has defensive issues.

Sisco and Scott are probably 40 spots. Though Sisco might not have many takers if he doesn't pick up his batting again and if his defense stays the way it is.

Everyone else, I wouldn't be worried about.

Mullins is not eligible for the Rule 5 draft.  But he could get called up some time this season to replace Rickard if Mullins hits and Rickard doesn't.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Pretty easy.  You protect Sisco,  Scott, Mullins..    Those are definites.  Maybe Wynns and maybe Kipper.    No reason to protect anyone else.

Not that easy because there are a lot of games to play yet.   Some guys stock could go up and others down.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mullins is not eligible for the Rule 5 draft.  But he could get called up some time this season to replace Rickard if Mullins hits and Rickard doesn't.

Hopefully that's Santanders role, assuming we still have him. 

Ubaldo, Miley, Tillman, Flaherty, Hardy, Janish, Kim, and Smith are all FAs, I doubt Wilson even lasts thru the season, and Wright and Faulkner are probably on a very short leash if there's ever a roster crunch. There should be plenty of room to add 5-6 of the Rule V eligibles and still have flexibility for acquisitions. Also, I think at least half the list falls into either (a) not a serious candidate to be selected or (b) a longshot to ever see legitimate Major League time with the Orioles.

14 minutes ago, BobDylanBundy said:

Ubaldo, Miley, Tillman, Flaherty, Hardy, Janish, Kim, and Smith are all FAs, I doubt Wilson even lasts thru the season, and Wright and Faulkner are probably on a very short leash if there's ever a roster crunch. There should be plenty of room to add 5-6 of the Rule V eligibles and still have flexibility for acquisitions. Also, I think at least half the list falls into either (a) not a serious candidate to be selected or (b) a longshot to ever see legitimate Major League time with the Orioles.

Castillo has a opt out.  Nuno will not be brought back.

Archived