Connolly: Just swing the damn bat Davis!

Tony-OH

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Norfolk orioles said:

He is a total nightmare.

If i DVR a game while I am out, I fast forward through his at bats because I don't have time to watch him guess and flounder at the plate.

Davis will be the anchor around our necks for years.

To think, that money could have been spent on Schoop or Manny.

Horrifyingly bad GM and ownership will doom us for years and Chris Davis is the poster boy for that impending doom.

His total lack of "give a crap" is the worst part quite frankly.

At least Manny looks like he cares when he makes dumb mistakes. Davis couldn't care less and we ALL know it whether you want to admit it or not.

Davis sucks at the moment, but I am always loathe to divine emotion or level of "give a crap" from TV....or I suspect.. from the distance of nice box seats if I ever was in one! I have no idea if he gives a crap or not.  My guess is that he does, because like most of us, he wants to do a good job no matter how much money he is making. If he is like most of us, he probably wants to do well particularly because he is making so much money.  But who knows? I am not using my perceptions of his reactions from a distance to answer that question.

I calculated that Davis has struck out in an incredible 42% of his at bats.  If baseball is a game of adjustments, Davis is failing miserably.  At this rate, he'll be striking out 50% of his at bats by 2020 if not before.  Davis seems able to hit to all fields, as the last few games showed with some opposite field hits, but as soon as he starts having some success hitting to all fields, he goes back to trying to pull every pitch. 

I don't personally think it's a lack of caring, I just think he's not very good any longer. It's a combination of lack of skill and a mental thing. When he swings he misses perfectly hittable pitches and then he out thinks himself. I'm sure yesterday he thought on 0-2 the slider was coming and the guy threw it down the middle of the plate. It was just a totally embarrassing at bat and the kind of at bat that was highlihgted by the situation. He's always been streaky, but now he's just plain awful and his K rate is at his career worse and it's not going to get better.

He's become the offensive Ubaldo on this team, the guy you least want to watch play. The only problem is with Ubaldo we only had to watch him pitch every five days and could take him out when he totally stunk up the place and still hope the O's bat could make up for it. With Davis, we have to watch him everyday and while Buck is here, watch him get key at bats against a lefty with the game on the line.

He's a Buck guy so Buck will continue to show loyalty. Afterall, it was Buck that wanted him resigned, not Duquette at that many years and money. Just five more years to go of watching the most unwatchable batter in baseball.

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't personally think it's a lack of caring, I just think he's not very good any longer. It's a combination of lack of skill and a mental thing. When he swings he misses perfectly hittable pitches and then he out thinks himself. I'm sure yesterday he thought on 0-2 the slider was coming and the guy threw it down the middle of the plate. It was just a totally embarrassing at bat and the kind of at bat that was highlihgted by the situation. He's always been streaky, but now he's just plain awful and his K rate is at his career worse and it's not going to get better.

He's become the offensive Ubaldo on this team, the guy you least want to watch play. The only problem is with Ubaldo we only had to watch him pitch every five days and could take him out when he totally stunk up the place and still hope the O's bat could make up for it. With Davis, we have to watch him everyday and while Buck is here, watch him get key at bats against a lefty with the game on the line.

He's a Buck guy so Buck will continue to show loyalty. Afterall, it was Buck that wanted him resigned, not Duquette at that many years and money. Just five more years to go of watching the most unwatchable batter in baseball.

I thinks Davis is so bad that the O's/Angelos will even DFA him with years and 10's of millions of dollars left on his contract

I find myself hoping that he fails a drug test or two so that he is suspended for most of the rest of his contract.

32 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I thinks Davis is so bad that the O's/Angelos will even DFA him with years and 10's of millions of dollars left on his contract

I find myself hoping that he fails a drug test or two so that he is suspended for most of the rest of his contract.

I have to agree.  John Angelos. 

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I calculated that Davis has struck out in an incredible 42% of his at bats.  If baseball is a game of adjustments, Davis is failing miserably.  At this rate, he'll be striking out 50% of his at bats by 2020 if not before.  Davis seems able to hit to all fields, as the last few games showed with some opposite field hits, but as soon as he starts having some success hitting to all fields, he goes back to trying to pull every pitch. 

A lot of people here will argue that strikeouts don't matter.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He's a complete guess hitter with no apparent ability to diagnose an incoming pitch. It's baffling that he somehow hit 50 home runs.

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

But that's not right. To wish ill will on someone. Blame Angelos and Buck. Buck wanted him back and Angelos gave him 161 million. Yes CD is doing poorly. I just wonder if Chris can improve next season? 

Over his last 162 games, Davis has slashed .212/.315/.420/.735 with 35 home runs, just 16 doubles, 83 BB, and an amazing 235 K's over 667 PAs (2.8K/PA). Most strikingly is the fact that he's knocked in just 72 runs over this period despite spending most of it in the middle of the lineup.

So basically he is an all or nothing solo home run artist who does little else to help his team offensively. 

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Over his last 162 games, Davis has slashed .212/.315/.420/.735 with 35 home runs, just 16 doubles, 83 BB, and an amazing 235 K's over 667 PAs (2.8K/PA). Most strikingly is the fact that he's knocked in just 72 runs over this period despite spending most of it in the middle of the lineup.

So basically he is an all or nothing solo home run artist who does little else to help his team offensively. 

I don't care how good your glove is that doesn't work at first base. 

14 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Davis sucks at the moment, but I am always loathe to divine emotion or level of "give a crap" from TV....or I suspect.. from the distance of nice box seats if I ever was in one! 

I agree 100%.    Some people wear their emotions on their sleeves and some don't.     Davis is a stoic and that's fine.    I'm upset with his performance but don't question that he's trying the best he can.      

Archived